Still hiding/Brumating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
My beardie Dyno still sleepy/hiding away from his basking area spot. I have checked the temperatures many times and his basking area is around anywhere from 90 to 100. Warm side is around 80 degrees and on the cool side is around 70 to 75 degrees. He is using the T5HO Arcadia 12% UVB tube. I also have checked his weight and he has only lost 2 grams within a month. Anyone else experiencing this with their beardies? His eyes are very groggy-sleepy looking he will open them from time to time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's OK if he's sleeping away from the basking spot. It sounds like he may be hitting some level of brumation if he's acting groggy and not losing weight.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Here he is in his favorite cave:
92311-9690108085.jpg
I put down some fleece blanket on the bottom and covered half of the cave with fleece blanket so its nice and dark for him to sleep and also if he does want to come out he can do so.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
He’s been acting this way around November 2018. It’s okay for them to sleep for that long? I am hoping he will come out of his brumation soon. Last year I had him he was done doing his half sleepy stages not as nearly this long. Guess this time of year he is hitting it hard.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah some of them brumate for 6 months. Darwin has been down for about 3-4 months both years I've seen him do it. It really varies a lot.

Hey guys what is normal behaviour for brumation? Do they still open their eyes and look out at you? My one has been sleeping all the time about 2 months now but he still opens his eyes to look out now and then, he hasnt really lost any weight hes actually chunkier than my active beardy the same age that doesnt brumate. He will eat a little every few weeks but i dont know with the stomach rot your not supposed to feed them in brumation? It did get colder when it started and im in ireland so it will be cold for another 2 months. Just womdering does this sound like brumation because its my first beardy and its my first experience with brumation but not my first reptile.
Thanks.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Danieldmcl18

Mine is doing exactly the same thing as yours & he's been down since Nov. Sometimes his eyes are open, mostly not, but he has come out a few times and even eaten a small meal before going back into his hide. He's been out for a few days now but not eating or drinking, so we expect him to head back in at some point. I suppose because they do this naturally, they have some idea of what they can/can't get away with in terms of sustenance and activity level. He's not losing any weight, so we just shrug our shoulders & keep the lights on when he's up & about. Wish he'd knock it off though, he's driving my wife & I crazy!!! :lol:

Yeah mine doesnt come out i dont think like im in college and hes just always resting he doesnt really drink either but i give him a bath like once a week or so and he dunks his head umder for like 10 seconds and then he starts swimming and splashing around for 20 mins or so, the only time hes out then is after the bath he dries himself around the viv and then basks for an hour or 2 and then goes back into sleep again and stays there. I put a hide in with a cloth to sleep peacefully in the dark but he just loves to stay under his rock. Do you guys make the viv dark or anything for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom