Fishy smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rony

My bearded dragon has been smelling like fish when I bathe him or when he drinks from quite a while now. It’s only when I pour water on him. His activity levels have been going down with his appetite, and he hasn’t pooped for 2 days, but he still eats. His activity has only been going down in the tank (I sometimes may find him sleeping while basking) he’s always running around outside the enclosure. This has happened to me always... but I would also like an explanation for the decreasing activity levels. Where I am it’s winter now so that might be having a huge influence in him, however a brumating dragon doesn’t really basks. This dude over here goes under the lamp in the morning and stays there, sleeping.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they just slow down a bit in phases and that's OK as long as he's maintaining weight and otherwise seems OK. I'm not sure about the smell. It could be bacteria on his skin. Have you tried adding a little bit of mild baby soap to the bath or even a little bit of betadine? That may help clean his skin off a bit more than just warm water alone. I usually only do this when my dragon gets soiled though.

Rony

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ssdapk0 said:
Sometimes they just slow down a bit in phases and that's OK as long as he's maintaining weight and otherwise seems OK. I'm not sure about the smell. It could be bacteria on his skin. Have you tried adding a little bit of mild baby soap to the bath or even a little bit of betadine? That may help clean his skin off a bit more than just warm water alone. I usually only do this when my dragon gets soiled though.

I will try the mild soap. He is eating like a champ but doesn’t poop at all! I’m getting worried now

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That happens sometimes. Just keep offering plenty of water and foods with fiber and it shouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom