UVB Help! I'm New. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyandHolly

Hi All!

I'm new to reptiles. I have recently adopted two adult bearded dragons, Buddy & Holly (4 yrs - male & female).

Their previous owner custom built a viv for them, but I am becoming increasingly concerned about the lighting etc. The more I read on the topic, the more confused I become. . .

My viv dimensions are 110cm (43.5") L x 68cm (27") H x 61cm (24") W.
They have a ramp with a top platform 30cm (12") under the basking light. A second platform sits lower than this over the other side of the viv, away from the basking light. THe floor of the viv has plenty of shaded areas due to the ramp and platforms.
They have logs and branches throughout so they can get higher than the top platform if they like.

I have a 120cm (48") Exo-Terra 5.0 UVB tube in a hood, a 75W basking light bulb in a reflector, and a 75W ceramic heat emitter in a reflector (currently turned off - intended for winter night use). The viv is made of ply wood with perspex doors. The lights sit on a metal wire 2cm (1") mesh.

I would post pics but I don't know how. . . haha.

My main question is, should I be using 10.0 UVB tube? Or stick with the 5.0 tube?
Any other tips would be appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
if you look at the top of the page it says image loader -click on it and follow instructions- I would recommend a Repitsun 10.0 T8 or a Arcadia 1.0 T5 12-14%-- the Arcadias are longer life replace 1 time per year the Reptisun replace every 6 months-- are you housing the dragons together?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Where is the circulation in that tank ? Are you breeding these dragons? Last I heard dragons are not to be housed together
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BuddyandHolly":3cuw2nnr said:
Hi All!

I'm new to reptiles. I have recently adopted two adult bearded dragons, Buddy & Holly (4 yrs - male & female).

Their previous owner custom built a viv for them, but I am becoming increasingly concerned about the lighting etc. The more I read on the topic, the more confused I become. . .

My viv dimensions are 110cm (43.5") L x 68cm (27") H x 61cm (24") W.
They have a ramp with a top platform 30cm (12") under the basking light. A second platform sits lower than this over the other side of the viv, away from the basking light. THe floor of the viv has plenty of shaded areas due to the ramp and platforms.
They have logs and branches throughout so they can get higher than the top platform if they like.
<<<< I'd swap out the Exo Terra T8 5%UVB tube and 48" T8 hood for an Arcadia SLIMLINE T5ho kit including an Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB tube about 2/3 the length of the tank.
30cm from a T5ho 12%UVB tube in a reflector hood will be optimal for UVA & UVB.

I have a 120cm (48") Exo-Terra 5.0 UVB tube in a hood,
<<<<the dragon will need be get inside 6" from the T8 10%UVB tube and inside 2" from the T8 5%UVB tube to get enough UVA & UVB.

a 75W basking light bulb in a reflector, and a 75W ceramic heat emitter in a reflector (currently turned off - intended for winter night use). The viv is made of ply wood with perspex doors. The lights sit on a metal wire 2cm (1") mesh.

I would post pics but I don't know how. . . haha.

My main question is, should I be using 10.0 UVB tube? Or stick with the 5.0 tube?
Any other tips would be appreciated.

BuddyandHolly

Original Poster
Amazing! Thank-you for the info kingofnobbys. So the T5 Kit 12% 85cm will be ideal then. I've found a supplier near me and will get one straight away!

KerrieRees - The two white squares shown on either end of the viv are vents. These two have been housed together for 4 yrs. . .

Thanks Again!

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
BuddyandHolly":etjbp4sr said:
Amazing! Thank-you for the info kingofnobbys. So the T5 Kit 12% 85cm will be ideal then. I've found a supplier near me and will get one straight away!

KerrieRees - The two white squares shown on either end of the viv are vents. These two have been housed together for 4 yrs. . .

Thanks Again!

Yep that t5 is ideal :) the concern about the two beardies being together is genuine concern I’m sorry to say
You’d be surprised by the number of beardies that ‘get on’ until suddenly they do not... that can be one is gettin the best light, most basking time or maybe more food resulting in one getting sickly or it could be one loses a limb or worse very out of blue and sudden
Bearded dragons are territorial and despite the common belief that they are “friends” the territorial behaviour is often mistaken for loving the other beardie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BuddyandHolly":mr2h78gz said:

Thanks Again!

They need individual housing ASAP.

Only bearded dragons I'd contemplate housing together are HenryLawsoni ( Rankins / pygmi / blacksoil ) bearded dragons (as they are naturally a social reptile who form colonies in the wild.

All others , only together to do the deed . NEVER two boys together (will result in blood and violence) and not a good idea to house two females together as one will always become the dominant the other will loose out on food, best basking spots, best places to sleep and will be continuously pretty miserable and stressed and there is a very high risk of the dominant killing it's "companion".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom