Uvb bulb help

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo2526

So I have currently 2 uvb type of bulbs for my tank but i have been reading the best one is a T5 flourescent tube. My beardie i belive is starting to brumate but its my first winter with her so I thought she wasn’t healthy which is why I started reading a lot. My question is, is my bulb setup good or do i go ahead and do a 24” uvb 10.0 t5 inside the tank and ditch the current setup? Here are the pictures of my bulbs and setup overall.
102745-3931247229.jpg
102745-8969177641.jpg
102745-3757549967.jpg

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hello there. I think the setup looks very good. I haven't used that type of coiled of basking bulb before, but I bought that same UV light from PETCO and when I took it into the reptile shop I got my beardie at, they said the tube it came with was producing really good UV for her. So I think you're doing pretty well.

leo2526

Original Poster
vrenee1018":2s5kkm5b said:
Hello there. I think the setup looks very good. I haven't used that type of coiled of basking bulb before, but I bought that same UV light from PETCO and when I took it into the reptile shop I got my beardie at, they said the tube it came with was producing really good UV for her. So I think you're doing pretty well.

Well the picture of the bulb i put is only a uvb bulb and i bought it to replace my 6 month old bulb that came with that dual bask one side and uvb the other side setup. I did remove the clear plastic cover off the tube fixtureas i also read that blocks uvb rays. Thank you for your input though makes me feel better

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Oh that does say UVB, doesn't it? ? Sorry sorry.. I see a regular bulb and I automatically think of basking, not UVB. But that's exactly what I did with my tube fixture from Petco. My beardies tall was 25 inches in height and although that is a standard T8 bulb, I think it produces pretty good UV. I've read similar to you, that the T5 is the better one, but I never had a problem with my T8 and even the reptile shop (they're pretty knowledgeable about beardies) said that the T8 is a good bulb and that's what they recommend to people. But I think it goes more by your experience with your little one to make the decision to switch over or not.

leo2526

Original Poster
vrenee1018":1vqbup0z said:
Oh that does say UVB, doesn't it? ? Sorry sorry.. I see a regular bulb and I automatically think of basking, not UVB. But that's exactly what I did with my tube fixture from Petco. My beardies tall was 25 inches in height and although that is a standard T8 bulb, I think it produces pretty good UV. I've read similar to you, that the T5 is the better one, but I never had a problem with my T8 and even the reptile shop (they're pretty knowledgeable about beardies) said that the T8 is a good bulb and that's what they recommend to people. But I think it goes more by your experience with your little one to make the decision to switch over or not.

Okay cool. Yeah I figured but I might do the upgrade if she gets bigger and if I move her into something bigger than the 40 gallon breeder I have for her now. Thanks again!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In a 40g breeder those bulbs aren't really powerful enough. The 26w UVB150 has about the same output as your T8 with best output between 6-8 inches or so. Beyond that, and shining through mesh top, they aren't much use. I would definitely invest in a 22'' T5 (24 in fixture) as that will produce much higher UVB output in that enclosure (and can be transferred to a larger one later on too).

leo2526

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2su05bpu said:
In a 40g breeder those bulbs aren't really powerful enough. The 26w UVB150 has about the same output as your T8 with best output between 6-8 inches or so. Beyond that, and shining through mesh top, they aren't much use. I would definitely invest in a 22'' T5 (24 in fixture) as that will produce much higher UVB output in that enclosure (and can be transferred to a larger one later on too).

Thanks for the tip. Yeah from what I’ve read it did seem fairly to little & I have bought a 24” fixture already but will be receiving it most likely tomorrow then I will have to order the bulb seperatly after that and try to hang it inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom