Uvb bulb help

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo2526

So I have currently 2 uvb type of bulbs for my tank but i have been reading the best one is a T5 flourescent tube. My beardie i belive is starting to brumate but its my first winter with her so I thought she wasn’t healthy which is why I started reading a lot. My question is, is my bulb setup good or do i go ahead and do a 24” uvb 10.0 t5 inside the tank and ditch the current setup? Here are the pictures of my bulbs and setup overall.
102745-3931247229.jpg
102745-8969177641.jpg
102745-3757549967.jpg

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hello there. I think the setup looks very good. I haven't used that type of coiled of basking bulb before, but I bought that same UV light from PETCO and when I took it into the reptile shop I got my beardie at, they said the tube it came with was producing really good UV for her. So I think you're doing pretty well.

leo2526

Original Poster
vrenee1018":2s5kkm5b said:
Hello there. I think the setup looks very good. I haven't used that type of coiled of basking bulb before, but I bought that same UV light from PETCO and when I took it into the reptile shop I got my beardie at, they said the tube it came with was producing really good UV for her. So I think you're doing pretty well.

Well the picture of the bulb i put is only a uvb bulb and i bought it to replace my 6 month old bulb that came with that dual bask one side and uvb the other side setup. I did remove the clear plastic cover off the tube fixtureas i also read that blocks uvb rays. Thank you for your input though makes me feel better

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Oh that does say UVB, doesn't it? ? Sorry sorry.. I see a regular bulb and I automatically think of basking, not UVB. But that's exactly what I did with my tube fixture from Petco. My beardies tall was 25 inches in height and although that is a standard T8 bulb, I think it produces pretty good UV. I've read similar to you, that the T5 is the better one, but I never had a problem with my T8 and even the reptile shop (they're pretty knowledgeable about beardies) said that the T8 is a good bulb and that's what they recommend to people. But I think it goes more by your experience with your little one to make the decision to switch over or not.

leo2526

Original Poster
vrenee1018":1vqbup0z said:
Oh that does say UVB, doesn't it? ? Sorry sorry.. I see a regular bulb and I automatically think of basking, not UVB. But that's exactly what I did with my tube fixture from Petco. My beardies tall was 25 inches in height and although that is a standard T8 bulb, I think it produces pretty good UV. I've read similar to you, that the T5 is the better one, but I never had a problem with my T8 and even the reptile shop (they're pretty knowledgeable about beardies) said that the T8 is a good bulb and that's what they recommend to people. But I think it goes more by your experience with your little one to make the decision to switch over or not.

Okay cool. Yeah I figured but I might do the upgrade if she gets bigger and if I move her into something bigger than the 40 gallon breeder I have for her now. Thanks again!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In a 40g breeder those bulbs aren't really powerful enough. The 26w UVB150 has about the same output as your T8 with best output between 6-8 inches or so. Beyond that, and shining through mesh top, they aren't much use. I would definitely invest in a 22'' T5 (24 in fixture) as that will produce much higher UVB output in that enclosure (and can be transferred to a larger one later on too).

leo2526

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2su05bpu said:
In a 40g breeder those bulbs aren't really powerful enough. The 26w UVB150 has about the same output as your T8 with best output between 6-8 inches or so. Beyond that, and shining through mesh top, they aren't much use. I would definitely invest in a 22'' T5 (24 in fixture) as that will produce much higher UVB output in that enclosure (and can be transferred to a larger one later on too).

Thanks for the tip. Yeah from what I’ve read it did seem fairly to little & I have bought a 24” fixture already but will be receiving it most likely tomorrow then I will have to order the bulb seperatly after that and try to hang it inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom