I am a slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, look at all the colours and freshness of the veges. I could even eat it! All this, knowing that Swift will only eat 2/3rd of it. But as always, I’ll slave out in the kitchen preparing all these healthy foods.
Anyone feel like you spend more time and effort preparing your beardie food than your own? :)

101380-5954035711.jpg

101380-7183901225.jpg

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Since you said some gets wasted did you see my thread on how my wife saves money on the veges?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=246725 With just one dragon this works very well

We do some bags kumara (sweet potato) based some pumpkin based and some squash based.
Then we add to each bag a couple of the following - zucchini, red capsicum , yellow capsicum, yam, carrot, peas, green bean , raddish and parsnip and then We freeze them

By the way what is the dark green vege on your chopping board? Is it kale?

cvel

Original Poster
Yes that’s kale.

I did see your post and very good. Right now I’m trailing cutting them up and bagging them, but put in fridge for only a couple of days.

I may move to dating this in bulk and then freezing, but there’s something about fresh foods tat appeals to me. Don’t know what exactly that is though, because freezing still locks in all the vitamins.

Perhaps this is why I’m a slave! Lol.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I made sure I looked into it alot to make sure he won’t be losing / missing out on anything
No negatives and It just allows me to offer way more variety and to be able to offer things that are limited seasonal here in nz like squash year round

cvel

Original Poster
It’s all good. Early findings thought it binds calcium but latest research says it’s ok. Even my vet said it’s ok. Kale (FYI: the one in my picture is curly kale) binds calcium to a point, but so does everything else.
Apparently if you only feed kale and nothing else then of course it will cause problems. Variety is key.
So far Swift happily eats kale, watercress, bok choi, butternut squash and blueberries.
Have introduced courgettes and red capsicum. Will introduce more gradually.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Yeah I rotate the kale so that’s it’s only every third week I use it and the other two weeks I use Pak Choi and rocket.
Kale has been proven to not be high in oxalates and can be used as a staple - AHBD shared a link about it recently.
I just rotate it for variety :)
You can’t freeze the greens though just the other items

I still can’t get witloof but I seem to have found somewhere to get collard greens finally

cvel

Original Poster
Collard greens WOW. I can’t find it anywhere in Auckland. I can only find Whitloof in Farro Fresh veg shop. Luckily that they always have it (unlike butternut and watercress) and that there’s a couple in Auckland near my place.

Swift hasn’t really touch the capsicum or courgettes but vet said now that I’m reducing the crickets/Grub Pie, that should encourage her to eat more veg.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I’m sure with all the yummy foods you are preparing for swift she will love vege in no time :) on days when you give repashy just hide it slightly under the veges - that’s how I got Marlow used to new vege

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What's not eaten by the dragon is great to help gutload the insects (crickets , locusts , roaches).

That's what happens to my dragon and skink salad left overs as well as going outside on the tub lid to help the local resident wild skinks and dragons who visit occasionally. The native birds enjoy it too.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
My husband says that I spoil Miss Biggs and that he is jealous that she gets the best most fresh veggies and then is usually hand feed. :lol:
97320-1594339647.jpg

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
LOL yep! My beardie AND my birds get better salads than I do! The ones I make for myself are simple throw together ones, but the pets' food gets all sorts of consideration. And the birds waste more than our beardies do, I can tell you! ?

Apolla

You're not the only one, lol. I definitely buy better veggies for Boga than I do for myself. And I love going through the produce section to see if I can find new veggies for her.

I understand your preference to fresh than frozen. I worry that freezing it will change the texture and that she'll hate thawed veggies. Not that she likes veggies much anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom