Lighting help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdugery

Hello, I have a few problems and in need of help. When I originally purchased my bearded dragon, two weeks ago, I bought a bulb UVB light by mistake, under the assumption that it provided enough UVB. I read on here that it is better to have one of the Reptisun strip ones, so I bought that. I first bought the 48 inch one with the 48 inch hood, only to realize that not only does the 48 inch bulb not fit in the 48 inch hood, but that it was also too big for my cage. I wanted to mount one inside, and read that I should get an under-the-counter florescent fixture, so I did. I bought one that was 36 inches and another UVB bulb. I bought this bulb: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F97J86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this fixture: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ET6D7A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, only to realize that the bulb doesn't fit. I already wasted a lot of money, I will probably have to sell the ones I bought my accident on craigslist, and wanted to find one that 100% works before I buy it, so I avoid making the same stupid mistake.

So my question for you is actually really simple. I was wondering what fixture would both fit this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F97J86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and be mountable in my cage. I bought hooks and they should arrive soon.

TeddyWyon

The one you ordered should come included with a bulb, in case it doesn't you need to find a bulb with these parametres.
Bulb: 36-Inch T8,Wattage: 25 w
It's best if you get one by the same company, usually these bulbs are carried in pet stores like PetCo and PetSmart

Otherwise, you don't always need a hood for these bulbs. Your best bet is going to be a special lid (even cutting it yourself around the fixture and leaving just enough for the plastic to rest on while the light is unimpeded. Unless you have a super tall viv then mounting these inside tanks can get dangerous if your dragon surfs and hits it, or even get burned by it.

pdugery

Original Poster
TeddyWyon":1ezs08zl said:
The one you ordered should come included with a bulb, in case it doesn't you need to find a bulb with these parametres.
Bulb: 36-Inch T8,Wattage: 25 w
It's best if you get one by the same company, usually these bulbs are carried in pet stores like PetCo and PetSmart

Otherwise, you don't always need a hood for these bulbs. Your best bet is going to be a special lid (even cutting it yourself around the fixture and leaving just enough for the plastic to rest on while the light is unimpeded. Unless you have a super tall viv then mounting these inside tanks can get dangerous if your dragon surfs and hits it, or even get burned by it.

I'd be fine with just using the hood and putting it on top, however then whenever I try to take off the screen it is such a pain. I already hung my lights from the ceiling, which was pretty annoying.

I saw some screen covers that allow you to open only half of the tank, but I couldn't find any for a 75 gallon tank. Any suggestions?

pdugery

Original Poster
TeddyWyon":1igmrqxt said:

Yeah, one that opens like that just the other way. What I mean is one that opens like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QFMV2E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QtNoCb5S95QPF

I would get something like this rather than the other one because with this, I could still rest the UVB hood on the back and still open it.

My tank has a length of 48 inches and a width of 18 inches.

TeddyWyon

Unfortunately I don't think they manufacture screens like that with your dimensions. You have a rather large tank that many reptile owners don't have. From what I see your best bet is going to be contacting an independent tank/screen manufacturing and getting one to order. Either that or dealing with the lid you have or one that folds laterally. If you really want a screen that hinges longitudinally then you're going to have to get one custom made or buy a smaller tank. (Possibly even look for a larger 80-90 gallon screen cover and cut it down?)
I apologize and wish I could do more. But that's all I can personally think of.

pdugery

Original Poster
TeddyWyon":3m3wqggz said:
Unfortunately I don't think they manufacture screens like that with your dimensions. You have a rather large tank that many reptile owners don't have. From what I see your best bet is going to be contacting an independent tank/screen manufacturing and getting one to order. Either that or dealing with the lid you have or one that folds laterally. If you really want a screen that hinges longitudinally then you're going to have to get one custom made or buy a smaller tank. (Possibly even look for a larger 80-90 gallon screen cover and cut it down?)
I apologize and wish I could do more. But that's all I can personally think of.

I thought a 75 gallon tank was a common size for bearded dragons? I was also wondering if there is some obvious way to deal with this dilemma as I dont believe everyone has a folding screen. When the people without a folding screen want to reach into their tank, do they always have to take all the lights off?

TeddyWyon

Usually the common size for adult beardie tanks is about 40 gallons. With my babies I currently have 20's that will go to 40's, but my screen's aren't hinged.
You can take the lights off every time, I personally just slide my screens back a bit and bring my beardies out through the opening that way. Some owners circumvent this entirely by getting exoterra tanks that have doors and open front facing ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom