Possible Respiratory Infection. Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today i noticed my 7 Month bearded dragon Pantalaimon (Pan), making clicking noises and opening his mouth whilst having his bath. He does currently have his nose plugged, but i'm not completely sure this isn't to do with him shedding, as he is shedding his mouth area at the moment. In his Viv he seems relatively well hes not breathing with his mouth open and he is basking and eating as normal he has been puffing his body some times but once again im not sure whether this is because hes getting ready to shed. However, in his bath he was putting his head under the water and rubbing his face along the edges of the tub and he was breathing through his mouth occasionally and puffing up his beard every now and then. He also hasn't pooed in around 3 days which is slightly concerning.

He is in a 4ft Viv with the basking spot currently at 41c (as i read to turn up the temp if its thought they have a resp infection) although its usually 39-40c, his cool side is 29c. His Humidity gauge says his humidity is about 40, although i have just ordered a digital one for better readings. He is 17 inches and his diet consists of Dubia roaches.

My biggest worry is whilst i was at work today his basking spot dropped to 35c, it was only for about 3 hours but i'm scared its caused him to become sick, also ive recently moved him into this bigger cage so i dont know whether this is causing him any stress (although hes been fine for the past week). I'm willing to take him to the vets if need be but my only concern is that the vets usually isn't open on a Sunday.

Thanks for any help

TeddyWyon

I don't think it's a respiratory infection if he doesn't do anymore clicking. Next time you give him a bath listen closely to his breathing (if he's wheezing and clicking then it's probably an infection, if not then he may just want to get out.)
Try getting him out for ten minutes and just holding him and letting him run or sleep, if the clicking comes back then I would recommend you take him to a vet, if not then you should be okay. Sometimes dragons use clicking as a form of displaying distress. So if you moved him to a new viv and he doesn't care for baths, then it's completely normal.
But like I said, if he starts clicking out of the bath in normal situations or he starts wheezing, I would take him to a vet.

Pantalaimon

Original Poster
TeddyWyon":1wmoczg7 said:
I don't think it's a respiratory infection if he doesn't do anymore clicking. Next time you give him a bath listen closely to his breathing (if he's wheezing and clicking then it's probably an infection, if not then he may just want to get out.)
Try getting him out for ten minutes and just holding him and letting him run or sleep, if the clicking comes back then I would recommend you take him to a vet, if not then you should be okay. Sometimes dragons use clicking as a form of displaying distress. So if you moved him to a new viv and he doesn't care for baths, then it's completely normal.
But like I said, if he starts clicking out of the bath in normal situations or he starts wheezing, I would take him to a vet.

Okay Thank you i will definitely keep an eye on him, i opened his viv door a minute ago as hes basking near the glass and i couldn't hear any wheezing, think i'm just anxious as hes the first reptile ive ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom