Beardie Kicking Substrate and Clawing at Tank

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Beardie Kicking Substrate and Clawing at Tank

Postby BeardieLover1011 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:32 am

I have a beardie named Liz and he is around 18 inches and 1 year 3 months old. Lately he has been running around his heat side of the tank and has been pushing the substrate to the other side and clawing at the tank. He has never really done it before, so I don’t really know what to do. Please help!
BeardieLover1011
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie Kicking Substrate and Clawing at Tank

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:58 am

Remove the substrate which is an impaction risk.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
Gecko : Godzilla the hatchling GEHYRA GECKO (hatched May 2019)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby BeardieLover1011 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:44 am

Okay, thank you. What are some other bedding I could use for the tank instead of the substrate?

BeardieLover1011
BeardieLover1011
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:47 am

What do you use as substrate ? Your dragon may actually be a female looking to lay eggs. Can you post pics of the rear end [ vent ] like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

And BTW, loose substrate is not all the extreme health risk that it is made out to be. The majority of my dragons have lived on sand or sand/soil substrate with no problems. The stories that get passed around are old + extreme cases , very few and the same old pictures . The culprit is usually calcium sand which many reptiles actually eat when they are lacking calcium [ and it may taste good ] But plain sand + topsoil are O.K. as substrates. If your dragon loves to dig, that's because it's a natural instinct and if your dragon is a female she will need a laybox with sand + soil for the rest of her life as long as she produces eggs.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health