CHE for basking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverkit

When I got my baby dragon the lady told me I didnt need a light for basking as long as I had a good UVB tube light, that a CHE would work better. She said it would heat the whole tank and keep the dragon happier. We live in Kansas and its pretty cold here in the winters so I believed her. But I'm having second thoughts about it I cant seem to get my basking area above 95. With only the CHE it gets 90-94.5, I use a zoo med digital thermometer. But from what I've read a baby needs 100-110. So what kind of basking light is best for a 40g tank? Use a 100w bright white light bulb? or do i need one of those sun reptile lights? Im worried with the CHE he's losing out on some benefits that a light would add.
Our setup now has a CHE 100w and a reptisun 10 for uvb. He seems to be doing fine with the temps now but I want to make sure I have everything perfect for him. He's about 7-8 weeks old, a little over 7 inches, active and a great eater.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
You are right, you do need a basking light. A che is just for heat. I have my che on a habistat thermostat to turn on whenever the cool end drops below 65f.
I use a Arcadia wide flood basking bulb and if it as far into warm end as I can and along side the uvb tube. The che I have next to the basking bulb.

Silverkit

Original Poster
I got him a new basking light and its wonderful! He's now getting the right heat and seems happier already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom