Temperature

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Temperature

Postby BabyBeardie13 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:39 pm

I recently got a 55 gallon upgrade for my baby, the hot side is only measuring 82.6F and I'm not sure how to make it warmer (her basking spot surface temp is 100-105 depending where). I have a small heating pad from my 20 gallon on that side but its not helping I guess. The substrate is ceramic tile and the cool side has reptile carpet on it as well because she likes it. Im using the recommended Zoo Med Digital Thermometer.
BabyBeardie13
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:34 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Temperature

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:50 pm

If the basking spot is 100-105 you are good -- heating pads are not recommended as the stomach can burn and they wont realize it-- it is best to get a Infrared temp gun - it will give you a more accurate temp-- you can get those at Walmart Home Depot for about $10-- I had a heat rock I dont use it anymore --- as they can cause their stomach to burn as well - I have a Zen Habitat 120 gallon and I am just using a Exo Terro 100 watt bulb that sits directly above the basking rock on top of the screen - temps are taken w/ a IR gun and they run anywhere from 95-105 -- depends on how warm my room is - I also have a heat emitter NO LIGHT on the same side of tank that sits in front of tank on top of screen above his fake log - temps run around 85 or so - cool side of tank is around 80 or so -- I live in MN so the heat emitter is on 24/7 during winter and is shut off during summer!
Hope that helps
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Temperature

Postby MarlowAndMe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:57 pm

KarrieRee wrote:If the basking spot is 100-105 you are good -- heating pads are not recommended as the stomach can burn and they wont realize it-- it is best to get a Infrared temp gun - it will give you a more accurate temp-- you can get those at Walmart Home Depot for about $10-- I had a heat rock I dont use it anymore --- as they can cause their stomach to burn as well - I have a Zen Habitat 120 gallon and I am just using a Exo Terro 100 watt bulb that sits directly above the basking rock on top of the screen - temps are taken w/ a IR gun and they run anywhere from 95-105 -- depends on how warm my room is - I also have a heat emitter NO LIGHT on the same side of tank that sits in front of tank on top of screen above his fake log - temps run around 85 or so - cool side of tank is around 80 or so -- I live in MN so the heat emitter is on 24/7 during winter and is shut off during summer!
Hope that helps
Karrie


I agree- your basking spot is right temp and I would ditch the heat mat as serious burns can occur from those
MarlowAndMe
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 am

Re: Temperature

Postby BabyBeardie13 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:23 pm

MarlowAndMe wrote:
KarrieRee wrote:If the basking spot is 100-105 you are good -- heating pads are not recommended as the stomach can burn and they wont realize it-- it is best to get a Infrared temp gun - it will give you a more accurate temp-- you can get those at Walmart Home Depot for about $10-- I had a heat rock I dont use it anymore --- as they can cause their stomach to burn as well - I have a Zen Habitat 120 gallon and I am just using a Exo Terro 100 watt bulb that sits directly above the basking rock on top of the screen - temps are taken w/ a IR gun and they run anywhere from 95-105 -- depends on how warm my room is - I also have a heat emitter NO LIGHT on the same side of tank that sits in front of tank on top of screen above his fake log - temps run around 85 or so - cool side of tank is around 80 or so -- I live in MN so the heat emitter is on 24/7 during winter and is shut off during summer!
Hope that helps
Karrie


I agree- your basking spot is right temp and I would ditch the heat mat as serious burns can occur from those


Its under her tank and tile and the tile doesnt measure over 80F. I have a heat gun which is how I know her surface temperature of her basking spot and tiles but it doesnt tell me air temp so I put the thermometer in there also. Since its under her tank and tiles do I still need to get rid of it?
BabyBeardie13
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Re: Temperature

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:42 pm

If its not doing any good why keep it? The air temp doesnt matter unless its 65 or below- you need the basking spot 90-105 or so --- and if its 65 or below then I would look into getting a heat emitter- mine is 100 watt-- it can sit on top of your screen -
Karrie-
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Temperature

Postby BabyBeardie13 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:49 pm

KarrieRee wrote:If its not doing any good why keep it? The air temp doesnt matter unless its 65 or below- you need the basking spot 90-105 or so --- and if its 65 or below then I would look into getting a heat emitter- mine is 100 watt-- it can sit on top of your screen -
Karrie-


What thermostat do you recommend to control the heat emitter? It drops to 60 sometimes below at night almost constantly in her tank.
BabyBeardie13
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:34 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Temperature

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:56 pm

You don't need a thermostat - you will need a dome fixture- the heat emitter that I have is a 100 watt bulb-- it will sit on top of your screen- you can get them at Petco or Petsmart-- I have a stick on reg thermostat on hot side just to give an idea of what temp is in tank and a digital w/ probe on cool side of tank which is running around 74- the 80 degree is in middle of tank
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Temperature

Postby MarlowAndMe » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:04 pm

I use a thermostat for my che. It’s often below 50f here at night and I like the che to only turn on as needed and to turn off when it’s at the right temp. I use a habistat thermostat and I love it
I use a Arcadia che 100w, exo terra dome ( you don’t have to have that brand though but do make sure it’s one with a ceramic / porcelain fitting otherwise it’s not safe to hold a che) and a habistat thermostat
Last edited by MarlowAndMe on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarlowAndMe
Juvie Poster
 
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:17 am

Re: Temperature

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:08 pm

You already have a heat emitter? CHE-- I would leave it on and not shut it off- what side of tank? The only lights I shut on and off are the basking and UVB- they r on 12 hrs and off 12 hrs- heat emitter is on 24/7 in winter
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Temperature

Postby BabyBeardie13 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:19 pm

MarlowAndMe wrote:I use a thermostat for my che. It’s often below 50f here at night and I like the che to only turn on as needed and to turn off when it’s at the right temp. I use a habistat thermostat and I love it
I use a Arcadia che 100w, exo terra dome ( you don’t have to have that brand though but do make sure it’s one with a ceramic / porcelain fitting otherwise it’s not safe to hold a che) and a habistat thermostat



Thank you this is what I was asking! I dont want or need it on 24/7 just when it gets super cold at night!
BabyBeardie13
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Re: Temperature

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Ok - I would just keep cking your temp at night w/ your infrared and it will give you accurate temps-
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 1713
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Enclosures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users