Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a 55 gallon upgrade for my baby, the hot side is only measuring 82.6F and I'm not sure how to make it warmer (her basking spot surface temp is 100-105 depending where). I have a small heating pad from my 20 gallon on that side but its not helping I guess. The substrate is ceramic tile and the cool side has reptile carpet on it as well because she likes it. Im using the recommended Zoo Med Digital Thermometer.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If the basking spot is 100-105 you are good -- heating pads are not recommended as the stomach can burn and they wont realize it-- it is best to get a Infrared temp gun - it will give you a more accurate temp-- you can get those at Walmart Home Depot for about $10-- I had a heat rock I dont use it anymore --- as they can cause their stomach to burn as well - I have a Zen Habitat 120 gallon and I am just using a Exo Terro 100 watt bulb that sits directly above the basking rock on top of the screen - temps are taken w/ a IR gun and they run anywhere from 95-105 -- depends on how warm my room is - I also have a heat emitter NO LIGHT on the same side of tank that sits in front of tank on top of screen above his fake log - temps run around 85 or so - cool side of tank is around 80 or so -- I live in MN so the heat emitter is on 24/7 during winter and is shut off during summer!
Hope that helps
Karrie

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
KarrieRee":3ojj2c68 said:
If the basking spot is 100-105 you are good -- heating pads are not recommended as the stomach can burn and they wont realize it-- it is best to get a Infrared temp gun - it will give you a more accurate temp-- you can get those at Walmart Home Depot for about $10-- I had a heat rock I dont use it anymore --- as they can cause their stomach to burn as well - I have a Zen Habitat 120 gallon and I am just using a Exo Terro 100 watt bulb that sits directly above the basking rock on top of the screen - temps are taken w/ a IR gun and they run anywhere from 95-105 -- depends on how warm my room is - I also have a heat emitter NO LIGHT on the same side of tank that sits in front of tank on top of screen above his fake log - temps run around 85 or so - cool side of tank is around 80 or so -- I live in MN so the heat emitter is on 24/7 during winter and is shut off during summer!
Hope that helps
Karrie

I agree- your basking spot is right temp and I would ditch the heat mat as serious burns can occur from those

BabyBeardie13

Original Poster
MarlowAndMe":27coaoxi said:
KarrieRee":27coaoxi said:
Hope that helps
Karrie

I agree- your basking spot is right temp and I would ditch the heat mat as serious burns can occur from those

Its under her tank and tile and the tile doesnt measure over 80F. I have a heat gun which is how I know her surface temperature of her basking spot and tiles but it doesnt tell me air temp so I put the thermometer in there also. Since its under her tank and tiles do I still need to get rid of it?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If its not doing any good why keep it? The air temp doesnt matter unless its 65 or below- you need the basking spot 90-105 or so --- and if its 65 or below then I would look into getting a heat emitter- mine is 100 watt-- it can sit on top of your screen -
Karrie-

BabyBeardie13

Original Poster
KarrieRee":v7wr5kz9 said:
If its not doing any good why keep it? The air temp doesnt matter unless its 65 or below- you need the basking spot 90-105 or so --- and if its 65 or below then I would look into getting a heat emitter- mine is 100 watt-- it can sit on top of your screen -
Karrie-

What thermostat do you recommend to control the heat emitter? It drops to 60 sometimes below at night almost constantly in her tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You don't need a thermostat - you will need a dome fixture- the heat emitter that I have is a 100 watt bulb-- it will sit on top of your screen- you can get them at Petco or Petsmart-- I have a stick on reg thermostat on hot side just to give an idea of what temp is in tank and a digital w/ probe on cool side of tank which is running around 74- the 80 degree is in middle of tank

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I use a thermostat for my che. It’s often below 50f here at night and I like the che to only turn on as needed and to turn off when it’s at the right temp. I use a habistat thermostat and I love it
I use a Arcadia che 100w, exo terra dome ( you don’t have to have that brand though but do make sure it’s one with a ceramic / porcelain fitting otherwise it’s not safe to hold a che) and a habistat thermostat

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You already have a heat emitter? CHE-- I would leave it on and not shut it off- what side of tank? The only lights I shut on and off are the basking and UVB- they r on 12 hrs and off 12 hrs- heat emitter is on 24/7 in winter

BabyBeardie13

Original Poster
MarlowAndMe":29jpr5dm said:
I use a thermostat for my che. It’s often below 50f here at night and I like the che to only turn on as needed and to turn off when it’s at the right temp. I use a habistat thermostat and I love it
I use a Arcadia che 100w, exo terra dome ( you don’t have to have that brand though but do make sure it’s one with a ceramic / porcelain fitting otherwise it’s not safe to hold a che) and a habistat thermostat

Thank you this is what I was asking! I dont want or need it on 24/7 just when it gets super cold at night!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok - I would just keep cking your temp at night w/ your infrared and it will give you accurate temps-
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom