Concerned about tank set up and diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorel

For explanation, a few months ago I wanted a bearded dragon. I started to do research, stopping once I realized I wouldn't be able to care for one. Then Christmas came and my mother gave me a beardie. This threw me off guard. I wasn't ready for one. I've been doing more research on bearded dragons now that I have one. He's only a few months old, I don't know how old exactly. He's in a 20 gallon tank as of now. His tank temperature is around 90-100 degrees. It drops to 65-75 at night. Although his thermometer is a stick on one. Those can be off by 20 degrees from what I've read. He's being fed Fluker's Buffet Blend, the juvenile bearded dragon veggie variety. That's his main diet. I know he isn't getting enough insects. The first time he ate insects, that I know of, was yesterday. They were crickets. He does have a basking bulb that gives out UVB. It is from Zoo Med and has 120v-100w max. He has a reptile carpet for substrate. He also has stress marks and has been glass surfing.

hello
just have a few questions
whats the size of the tank
what is the hot end temperature and what is the cool end temperature
what uvb bulb do you have
do you dust your food with calcium and herpivite and if so how often

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a 20g tank so relatively small. I would start saving your money because you'll need a much bigger tank in a few months, and upgraded lighting with it. You have the 100w PowerSun bulb now? That should work well for a tank that size. Do try to offer more live bugs. Crickets are a decent option, as are dubia roaches (starting a colony is helpful) and you can order some black soldier fly larvae from symtonbsf for about $18. The little guys can go through a lot of bugs so for now I'd focus your money on insects. I would also invest in a cheap digital thermometer with a probe like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ so you can get the surface temperature of the basking area which should be between about 100-110. A temp gun like this will work too https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/

Jorel

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3olf5ac5 said:
It's a 20g tank so relatively small. I would start saving your money because you'll need a much bigger tank in a few months, and upgraded lighting with it. You have the 100w PowerSun bulb now? That should work well for a tank that size. Do try to offer more live bugs. Crickets are a decent option, as are dubia roaches (starting a colony is helpful) and you can order some black soldier fly larvae from symtonbsf for about $18. The little guys can go through a lot of bugs so for now I'd focus your money on insects. I would also invest in a cheap digital thermometer with a probe like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ so you can get the surface temperature of the basking area which should be between about 100-110. A temp gun like this will work too https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/

Yeah, it is the PowerSun bulb. I purchased a digital thermometer. I got some black solider fly larvae as well. Thank you for your help! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom