Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceardy

Hello, I'm a newcomer I guess you noticed. I'm going to ask that questions I'm very new here so I apologize if this wrong topic here!
Where should I get my beardy?
Is a 36x18x12 large enough for an adult
How do I do a salad for beardies?
Supplements?
Lighting?
Feel free to ask me more questions! Ceardy out :blob8:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! We'll be glad to answer your questions and make sure your dragon has the best life possible.

- It depends on what you're looking for. You can get a rescue dragon from a reptile rescue. They have usually been rehabbed by this point and are healthy although they may need special care in some cases. If you want a baby, your best bet is to order one from a reputable breeder. This will provide the least likelihood of genetic problems due to sloppy breeding which is frequently seen in dragons from big pet stores. Not to say giving one of those dragons a happy home isn't worthwhile though. Every dragon needs a happy home =).

- 36x18x12 is small for an adult. Especially the height. I have a 36x18x18 and wish I had a larger tank. An adult should have at least 4'x2'x2' but provide more space if you can. Tanks this size can be custom made but building one yourself is the most cost effective method.

- For a salad, just tear some greens and chop up some veges and put it into a small bowl. A handful is about the usual size of the salads I offer every day. Leftovers go to the roach colony. Offer as much variety as you can, but in time you'll find some favorites that you can keep in regular rotation. This is a good list to follow for ideas, but go with what looks fresh at the market. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Use a calcium supplement in a light even coat on live bugs every time you feed them. You can use a multivitamin instead of calcium once or twice a week if you wish. I usually put the bugs in a small cup and shake them in a small amount of calcium to give them an even coat. I repeat in small batches for about 10 minutes or until the dragon loses interest. A young dragon needs 2-3 meals per day while an adult dragon can eat a bug meal once or twice a week with salad every day.

Lighting is very important. Invest in a high quality UVB tube like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ For heat, use either a reptile basking flood light (without a neodymium coating) or a halogen flood light for the hardware store. The main thing with those is bright white light and heat. Measure the surface temperatures using a digital thermometer with a probe or an IR temp gun (or both). Shoot for 100-110 on the basking surface and a gradient down to 75-80 or so on the cool side of the tank. The UVB light should sit about 12'' above the main basking area, next to the basking light.

Ceardy

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3uufza7b said:
Welcome to the forum! We'll be glad to answer your questions and make sure your dragon has the best life possible.

- It depends on what you're looking for. You can get a rescue dragon from a reptile rescue. They have usually been rehabbed by this point and are healthy although they may need special care in some cases. If you want a baby, your best bet is to order one from a reputable breeder. This will provide the least likelihood of genetic problems due to sloppy breeding which is frequently seen in dragons from big pet stores. Not to say giving one of those dragons a happy home isn't worthwhile though. Every dragon needs a happy home =).

- 36x18x12 is small for an adult. Especially the height. I have a 36x18x18 and wish I had a larger tank. An adult should have at least 4'x2'x2' but provide more space if you can. Tanks this size can be custom made but building one yourself is the most cost effective method.

- For a salad, just tear some greens and chop up some veges and put it into a small bowl. A handful is about the usual size of the salads I offer every day. Leftovers go to the roach colony. Offer as much variety as you can, but in time you'll find some favorites that you can keep in regular rotation. This is a good list to follow for ideas, but go with what looks fresh at the market. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Use a calcium supplement in a light even coat on live bugs every time you feed them. You can use a multivitamin instead of calcium once or twice a week if you wish. I usually put the bugs in a small cup and shake them in a small amount of calcium to give them an even coat. I repeat in small batches for about 10 minutes or until the dragon loses interest. A young dragon needs 2-3 meals per day while an adult dragon can eat a bug meal once or twice a week with salad every day.

Lighting is very important. Invest in a high quality UVB tube like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ For heat, use either a reptile basking flood light (without a neodymium coating) or a halogen flood light for the hardware store. The main thing with those is bright white light and heat. Measure the surface temperatures using a digital thermometer with a probe or an IR temp gun (or both). Shoot for 100-110 on the basking surface and a gradient down to 75-80 or so on the cool side of the tank. The UVB light should sit about 12'' above the main basking area, next to the basking light.
Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom