Megaray bulb or halogen flood light ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argam1998

I know they provide heat uvb and uva . Since I already have uvb/uva from the reptisun 10.0 T5 do I really need to get a better heat bulb with better spectrum like the megaray ??? Or is the halogen flood lights Ok ???
Wouldn’t the megaray and T5 10.0 be too much uvb ??
The only reason I’m using the halogen lights is because they are cheap and come in 65 watts the megaray is too powerful for my basking area and are expensive . 4x2x2 enclosure .

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The halogen bulbs will be fine, price is right too ! Never buy plain Reptile basking bulbs, big waste of money. The secret has been out for a while that the 4 pack of bulbs from Walmart /Home Depot is the way to go.

Argam1998

Original Poster
I was confused on the CRI part . How the Megaray offers the “full spectrum” light . Do the halogen lights provide a full spectrum too or just heat ? Would it be better to get the megray knowing it’s gonna offer a better spectrum then the halogen ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Either way, using the Megaray for a basking light, in combination with the Reptisun 10 T5
would be fine, as the Megaray has a narrow beam of UVB even though it is high UVB on a
small area. It gives out a great full spectrum of UVB/UVA with a high CRI.
If you used a Halogen PAR 38 flood bulb, they should have a CRI of nearly 100 also most of
the time. They will provide UVA just not UVB.
It depends on how you are placing the lights as to which one you will want to use.
Do you have pictures of your tank setup?

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MegaRay MVB
Pros
1) UVA
2) UVB
3) heat
4) nice coloured light

Cons
1) can't be dimmed
2) price
3) narrow beam of UV

Neodymium floods
Pros
1) UVA
2) heat
3) nice coloured light
4) dimmable

Cons
1) price
2) narrow beam of UVA
3) not very durable / robust

Flood globe (halogen par38 or similar)
Pros
1) Price
2) easy to pick up at any hardware or lighting shop of supermarket
3) designed to cope with use outside
4) heat
5) none coloured versions produce nice warm light
6) dimmable

Cons
1) no UVA (some halogens will give off some UVA)
2) no UVB

Argam1998

Original Poster
Drache613":1jhhq5mo said:
Hello,

Either way, using the Megaray for a basking light, in combination with the Reptisun 10 T5
would be fine, as the Megaray has a narrow beam of UVB even though it is high UVB on a
small area. It gives out a great full spectrum of UVB/UVA with a high CRI.
If you used a Halogen PAR 38 flood bulb, they should have a CRI of nearly 100 also most of
the time. They will provide UVA just not UVB.
It depends on how you are placing the lights as to which one you will want to use.
Do you have pictures of your tank setup?

Tracie

Don’t have a picture ATM :/
4x2x2 enclosure . Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 I have it set up for the Sunbeam Method with the halogen . T5 is a good 13 inches away from basking . I Ended up returning the 65 watt bulbs because they were too weak. The worker at home depot ended up being a bearded dragon owner as well which surprised me . He showed me these 39 watt 38 par higher quality halogen flood lights and told me that was what he was using . It had higher lumen than the 65 watt and it just looked much more heavy duty . What’s weird is the 39 watt bulb keeps my temps perfect...? I’m guessing it had all to do with the built quality ? The 39 watt bulb had a much much better reflector also said lasts 4 years instead of 2 !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom