How severe is my beardie's tail rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilyj521

Hi, my 1 year old bearded dragon, Mochi, got a stuck shed on her tail, and I think it might be tail rot. I'm absolutely planning on taking her to the vet ASAP, but I'm a college student and I JUST paid my tuition for the semester so I'm absolutely broke at the moment. I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of how bad she is, and if it looks like it'll have to be amputated. I know I need to go to a vet for this and not the internet, and I'm going to, but I'd just like an idea of what to expect for her, but I know it's probably not really possible to tell over the internet. Or if you have a different idea of what caused the tail rot, that'd be helpful too so I can make sure to take care of that better (maybe its not stuck shed??). She's my first reptile and I'm working really hard to take care of her and I feel so upset that I let this happen to her :( She's still very active and alert, and I've been soaking her tail in betadine and giving her warm baths, but if anyone has any other suggestions I can do in the meantime while I try to get a vet appointment, they would be greatly appreciated! The very tip of her tail is black and stiff, but its only about half an inch, but I'm assuming that part is probably unsaveable :(
98017-6538846218.jpg
98017-4208675469.jpg
98017-3162242687.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
That is not tail rot, it is a retained shed that is squeezing the tip. You can give her warm soak (bath) and, gently brush it with a SOFT bristle toothbrush to remove it. Other than that she is fine!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it doesn't look like tail rot to me. :D
That doesn't look too bad, really. If it did harden up from shed then it will gradually shed
off. The areas do tend to get darker in color preshed, also.
I love the name, Mochi, that is a beautiful name.

Tracie

lilyj521

Original Poster
Gormagon":1pe0o96z said:
That is not tail rot, it is a retained shed that is squeezing the tip. You can give her warm soak (bath) and, gently brush it with a SOFT bristle toothbrush to remove it. Other than that she is fine!!!

Thank you so much!! I really hope its just retained shed, but im worried because ive been giving her warm soaks, and some shed came off, but I think that little end of her tail is dead, its all black and stiff and I cant seem to get any shed off of it. I’ve heard that sometimes the little dead part will just fall off, do you think thats possible? Or do I just need to keep soaking? Sorry, I’m just super worried about her because I thought it was stuck shed at first, but i cant seem to get anything off that end of her tail, it just stays black and stiff :(

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Just continue to watch it closely. It might eventually fall off on it's own, since it has been constricted for so long. The rest off the tail looks quite healthy. Actually your dragon is a very healthy and, happy looking girl.

lilyj521

Original Poster
Drache613":3853bo1k said:
Hello,

I agree, it doesn't look like tail rot to me. :D
That doesn't look too bad, really. If it did harden up from shed then it will gradually shed
off. The areas do tend to get darker in color preshed, also.
I love the name, Mochi, that is a beautiful name.

Tracie

Oh, good! And thank you :) It took me a long time to choose a name but I thought Mochi was cute and gender-neutral, cause I didn’t know if she was a boy or a girl at the time. By now I think ife figured out she actually is technically a male, but I don’t think she minds being called a girl. :)

lilyj521

Original Poster
Gormagon":2f21m50k said:
Just continue to watch it closely. It might eventually fall off on it's own, since it has been constricted for so long. The rest off the tail looks quite healthy. Actually your dragon is a very healthy and, happy looking girl.
Okay, thank you so muchh!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom