Juvenile not acting right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katieaz

I purchased her on Saturday from PetSmart. She was the most active one out of the three others she was with. I barely seen her move or keep her eyes open. Sunday she ate 20 crickets and since then we haven’t been able to get her to eat (not even veggies). I have now figured she needs better lights. So in the mean time yesterday I put her cage next to the window in direct sunlight and she perked up a little. This is her today when I tried to feed her crickets... not normal right? Anyone have any ideas?

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Can you describe your tank setup, please?

Also, UV from outside sun does not penetrate through glass, so she's most likely perking up because she may see something interesting outside and not because of UV she's getting.

Katieaz

Original Poster
vrenee1018":2j9x22uv said:

Also, UV from outside sun does not penetrate through glass, so she's most likely perking up because she may see something interesting outside and not because of UV she's getting.

I got a reptile starter kit from petsmart. Its a 20 gallon tank with carpet, a 75 watt basking light and a 13 W UV light. After reading the forums on here I saw that I should buy better lights but none of the stores within driving distance have them. I need to order them and they're going to take some time to get here :/

Oh and she has a tall log that she climbs onto to get closer to her lights. The tank temp is usually always 80. When I put her closer to the window the warm side of the tank warmed up to about 95. (Half of the tank is next to the wall and out of the sun).

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Katieaz":eaiicmt6 said:
vrenee1018":eaiicmt6 said:

I got a reptile starter kit from petsmart. Its a 20 gallon tank with carpet, a 75 watt basking light and a 13 W UV light. After reading the forums on here I saw that I should buy better lights but none of the stores within driving distance have them. I need to order them and they're going to take some time to get here :/

Oh and she has a tall log that she climbs onto to get closer to her lights. The tank temp is usually always 80. When I put her closer to the window the warm side of the tank warmed up to about 95. (Half of the tank is next to the wall and out of the sun).

I would advise to either drive the distance to buy proper lights or order the lights ASAP because she needs proper basking and UV light. The temperature in the tank is too low. Babies bask anywhere from 95-110 degrees on the hot side and 75 degrees on the cool side. How often are you keeping the lights on? I believe the 20 gallon tank is on the small side. Beardies grow very fast and a 40 gallon is recommended at minimum. The 20 will do for now, but you'll have to purchase a 40 within a few months. Also, are you dusting the crickets with any calcium and vitamins?

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I agree with having to drive to get the lights or order from somewhere that offers same day delivery or something ... she is not looking very good and her temps are too low- she needs them upped ASAP
Her tank being in the sun does not help this - and is infact dangerous.
Uvb can not penetrate glass so she is getting none from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom