1 month old barely breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katieaz

I bought my beardie 2 days ago. Yesterday she ate about 20 crickets and today I got her to eat 2. She seems lethargic. I’m been reading the forums on here and now I know I need to get her better lights. But I also need to know if I should keep her lights on 24/7 or off at night?

My boyfriend shut all her light off about an hour ago. When I got home her eyes were shut and I couldn’t see her breathing at all (do they breathe super shallow when cold?). I nudged her and she wouldn’t open her eyes and was super cold. We put the basking light on her and she started to open her eyes and would barely breathe . All the articles we’ve googled said to shut the lights off at night but I feel like she’s getting too cold. The temperature in the tank said 75.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I can’t help with whether there is something else going on with your wee dragon sorry so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in there
It sounds like you looked into the lighting already but I’ll just add If your lights aren’t correct though I would sort that ASAP to prevent issues there like metabolic bone disease or food not being digested properly.
But I can tell you she needs all lights off at night. Otherwise it will disturb her sleep which can lead to other issues.
I do 14 hours a day lights on ( 6.30am till 8.30am) some do 12hours on. Either is fine but just keep it consistent.
As for as night temperature - as long as where you are it stays above 65f then you don’t need any heat. If it drops below that where you are you will need a ceramic heat emmiter ( che for short) they produce heat but no light so can’t disturb their sleep. This would be best on a thermostat so it comes on when the temperature drops to low. I use one as it’s cold where I am.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MarlowAndMe":kov71g3i said:
I can’t help with whether there is something else going on with your wee dragon sorry so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in there
It sounds like you looked into the lighting already but I’ll just add If your lights aren’t correct though I would sort that ASAP to prevent issues there like metabolic bone disease or food not being digested properly.
But I can tell you she needs all lights off at night. Otherwise it will disturb her sleep which can lead to other issues.
I do 14 hours a day lights on ( 6.30am till 8.30am) some do 12hours on. Either is fine but just keep it consistent.
<<< I've done 15 to 16 hours photoperiods for over 10 years, works well for my skinks and dragons , currently my lights are all set to turn on at 5:30am and to turn off 9pm.

Under 14 hours is TOO SHORT , I'd only recommend such a short photoperiod perhaps in winter if you want the dragon to bromate.

As for as night temperature - as long as where you are it stays above 65f then you don’t need any heat. If it drops below that where you are you will need a ceramic heat emmiter ( che for short) they produce heat but no light so can’t disturb their sleep. This would be best on a thermostat so it comes on when the temperature drops to low. I use one as it’s cold where I am.
<<< I found my skinks and hatchlings prefer and do better if I keep my overnight minimum temperature over 21 degC. which is easy for me as I'm in a coastal tropical area and I run my big split home aircon 24/7 in winter and summer.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Katieaz":2jjn9y7b said:
I bought my beardie 2 days ago. Yesterday she ate about 20 crickets and today I got her to eat 2.
What is her full body weight ? (weigh her in a lidded tub)

What size crickets are you giving to her , when ? (how soon after the lights / heat are turned on , and what is her feeding schedule (meal 1 / what & when, meal 2 / what & when , meal 3 / what & when).

She seems lethargic. I’m been reading the forums on here and now I know I need to get her better lights. But I also need to know if I should keep her lights on 24/7 or off at night?

My boyfriend shut all her light off about an hour ago. When I got home her eyes were shut and I couldn’t see her breathing at all (do they breathe super shallow when cold?). I nudged her and she wouldn’t open her eyes and was super cold. We put the basking light on her and she started to open her eyes and would barely breathe . All the articles we’ve googled said to shut the lights off at night but I feel like she’s getting too cold. The temperature in the tank said 75.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Both adults and babies can look as if they're barely breathing when they sleep. See how she does today as the day goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom