My baby beardie won’t eat greens

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my baby bearded dragon almost a week, and I haven’t seen him touch his greens once. I have tried putting fruit on top of the greens, crickets in between the greens and putting the green in his bath so that they kinda float around and look appetizing. He won’t even look at them! Am I worrying too much about this? Do you guys have any tricks?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You said baby-- I take it he / she is under a year? Their main diet is crickets or dubia roaches- I recommend dubias- you can get them on line thru amazon w/ free shipping or a local mom and pops reptile store- your big box stores like Petco / Petsmart do not sell dubias- less smell less maintenance and better for your beardie-- greens are a so so for their diet at this age -- bugs should be dusted w/ calcium d3 5 x per week w/ vitamins 2 x per week-- they wont start eating greens so to speak until closer to a year- I have a beardie who will turn 1 at the end of this month he is just now starting to eat greens more often but his main diet is still bugs-- you can keep the roaches in a 10 gal aquarium and feed them roach food if you like or carrots apples sweet potato -- greens for your little one can be mustard greens collard greens green beans when in season dandalions - the little yellow flowers along w/ the green leaves -- but make sure they arent sprayed w/ chemicals or fertilizer-- there is a list on this webpage for foods you can feed your little one --- it might be udner care sheets and articles at the top of this page
Hope this helps
Karrie

Piccassofantasy

Original Poster
Thank you!! Everyone at the petstore panicked me when they said that if she didn’t eat greens she would get sick, new beardie mom so I am super flighty when it cimes to my new baby girl

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Unless the people at this pet store actually OWN a bearded dragon DO NOT believe anything they tell you-- most of these people give bad advice--- please ask this forum as most everyone knows what they are talking about and can opt in to give options advice ect................. and if some one cant some one else can..... :D
Karrie

Peach

Hatchling Member
Bleu will be 8 months old at the end of January and just THIS WEEK I finally saw him eating out of his salad bowl. If I am quick, I can sneak some in when his mouth is open and he'll eat it, but often he is faster than me :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Peach":2udpgex8 said:
Bleu will be 8 months old at the end of January and just THIS WEEK I finally saw him eating out of his salad bowl. If I am quick, I can sneak some in when his mouth is open and he'll eat it, but often he is faster than me :)

8 months old , I'd have her on 2 meals of insects per day atm and be offering salad daily , if she ignores the greens don't worry, just give the salad to the insects to gut load them , she'll get the greens in disguise .

It's OK to handfeed her some of her live bugs and sneak some vegs / greens into her mouth between bugs.

Another way to get her to eat the salad is to mix some live wormy crutons into it and she'll likely get some veg or salad each time she finds a worm .

I just got a 9 month old BD from a reputable breeder a few weeks ago. Besides crickets and dubias, I am trying to feed him the diet the the breeder gave him: kale, shredded carrot, sweet potato, acorn squash, butternut squash and I sometime add a very little fruit, a few blueberries and strawberries. I dust with CA. w/D and also top with organic bee pollen. Cage, lighting, heat, everything he seems to enjoy. BD hasn't touched a drop of salad for 18 days. Is this normal for a juvenile BD? BD is fun to interact with. Hydrates when he baths. I tried several tricks to feed him greens without success. Thanks for your suggestions. HJ

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He is still young and needs his bugs-- keep offering salad-- you can try mustard collard and turnip greens as staple-- what kind of UVB are you using? Haft to ask
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom