Feeding question- no emergency just curious ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Ok - so as you know I have Kevin my monster free range dragon and Nona my recovering rescue ....
I have a question about Nona’s feeding - I didnt experience this with Kevin ... she would scarf down 30 small Dubais like they were going out of style - but one day she decided she didn’t want Dubai’s after me buying 500 ... she only wanted superworms so I bought those ... now she doesn’t want them. In fact she doesn’t feel like eating her salad too much either. She’s not losing weight, looking in good condition (a little pudge actually) in fact she just wants to run around?like a mad woman (now that she able to) I have video of her running down the hallway - proud mom me!!
Do dragons just sometimes after a certain age, not need to eat as much as they did when they were going through growing spurts and recovering from malnutrition?
I don’t want to syringe feed her like I needed to when she couldn’t eat on her own. (I have rephashy for that).
So really I’m just asking if they naturally slowdown on the food intake as they get older. She’s not showing any signs of distress at all - in fact she seems very active. Was at the vet in December and all was ok.
Kevin does go through phases when he chows down and then not want much for a day or two -especially in the winter - but he’s a solid monster. She is not. I got him at as a full grown guy (even though he was sick, he wasn’t malnourished just thin) and she was a fragile neglected baby.
Some advise on how they act - feeding habits as they get older would be appreciated.
102444-2586494922.jpg
102444-8100395449.jpg
102444-8371545942.jpg

Yup - that’s my Nona the other day ...she looks out the window hoping for summer I guess ....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, what you're describing is very common, especially with fast growing dragons. You helped her back to health and she's going to make her own decisions now, lol ! But she looks great, just starting to get a bit on the overweight side. That is when they can really hold out because the body doesn't need food like it used to.

When she does start eating again, use less feeder insects at every meal, it's now going to be easy for her to get fat and you don't want that ! It can also lead to fatty liver at times when they eat a lot and then just don't eat anything for long periods.

And yes, I see that she's longing for good dragon weather. :)

leo2526

That is how my dragon is acting. She no longer wanted Crickets nor greens so I switched her to dubias and she loved them for a couple days. Now she no longer wants them and only seems to somewhat want to eat superworms. I am trying different greens as well and I get a little concerned but she does look healthy. She glass surfs a bit and if i take her out she ends up finding a spot to nap. She also has been sleeping more than usual which I am not a huge fan of.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I agree with AHBD- she's just slowing down the eating because her body no longer needs to eat all the time. Aside from brumation right now, Tampico started doing the same thing. She turned one and didn't want to eat as much. I thought she was getting a little on the chunky side soI called the vet and they advised that since she's one, to feed her buggies and wormies every other day, but always offer greens. Maybe do the same for yours? Horn and silk worms are Tampi's favorite. Gobbles em up every chance she gets.

Also, when she did have her last very visit, she advised to never stop feeding them live food, that it is the best for them. I just thought it would be helpful/useful information to pass along. I've known several people who've suggested to only feed greens and grub pie when they're adults, but her vet said otherwise. She's an exotic animal vet so I trust her very much with information on Tampico.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks you guys. You’ve made me feel so much better Obviously I worry a bit more about Nona’s health than Kevin’s. Like I said she’s acting fine - actually being very feisty and independent like a 14 year old girl. Wanting to do things how she wants. Shocking to see her staring to look “plump”. But she is very active running around. Wanting to get outside. She does eat her greens just not all of them and as quickybso she must be used to having foo. She has fresh everyday so she’ll eat when she wants.
Thanks again - I worry about her.
You’re all the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom