Weird Beardie Poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Hi! I just joined, so sorry if this has already been answered. I have a 1 1/2 year old male Beardie named Simba. He lives in a 40 gal breeder tank with reptile carpet. I fed him mealworms but he couldn't digest them so I changed to super worms and Dubia roaches. Recently Simba has had some runny poops. And when I take him out of his cage b/c he is "glass surfing" he lifts his tail like he's gonna poo, but a clear, mostly odorless, liquid comes out. :shock:
Thoughts?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, what are the temps. in the tank and how do you measure them ? It may not be quite hot enough for him to digest his food properly. Can you post pics of the set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

If he's having trouble going poo you can use some natural laxatives like canned pumpkin [ no spices added ] baby food prunes or squash and a few drops of honey or olive oil. A very warm bath can help as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! Set up looks pretty good, do you know the temps. under his basking spot ? What uvb bulb do you have, is that a Reptisun 10.0 t5 by chance ? And how many watts is the heat bulb ?

Be sure to limit the superworms and that the dubias are not too large. You want to see that he's able to poo.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't know the temp but under his light its pretty hot, but not TOO hot for me. The UVB is a ExoTerra ReptiGlo 10.0, t8, 15 watts. His ceramic heat bulb is faded but I think it says 15 watts, and his day time light (UVA/UVB/Heat bulb) is 50 watts. I'll post some more photos soon. :)

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I forgot to say that his heat lamp when out last week for two whole days. I bought a new one ASAP, but he had no heat :( :( :( . Could that be what's causing all this? :? :?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, lack of heat will def. cause it, they need heat to digest their food. A good rule is if the heat/poer goes out you don't feed them. But everything should get back to normal with a few adjustments. I'm positive that a 50 watt bub is not enough to heat the tank, and I'll tell you a little tip that most breeders + long time owners know. You don't need pet store heat bulbs. Just go to Walmart or Home Depot and get a 4 pack of halogen or plain old incandescent [ old fashioned ] bulbs like this :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-100-Watt-Basic-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-GE-41034-1710-lumen-
A19/150144812

Next you need to increase the uvb so mount the fixture inside the tank with fishing line or picture hanging wire like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

He'll get much more uvb exposure which he needs since you don't have a t5 bulb. But do those changes ASAP, especially getting a hotter basking bulb.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Under his basking spot is pretty hot, he's pooing fine now and he's not doing the liquid thing anymore!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom