Weird Beardie Poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Hi! I just joined, so sorry if this has already been answered. I have a 1 1/2 year old male Beardie named Simba. He lives in a 40 gal breeder tank with reptile carpet. I fed him mealworms but he couldn't digest them so I changed to super worms and Dubia roaches. Recently Simba has had some runny poops. And when I take him out of his cage b/c he is "glass surfing" he lifts his tail like he's gonna poo, but a clear, mostly odorless, liquid comes out. :shock:
Thoughts?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, what are the temps. in the tank and how do you measure them ? It may not be quite hot enough for him to digest his food properly. Can you post pics of the set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

If he's having trouble going poo you can use some natural laxatives like canned pumpkin [ no spices added ] baby food prunes or squash and a few drops of honey or olive oil. A very warm bath can help as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! Set up looks pretty good, do you know the temps. under his basking spot ? What uvb bulb do you have, is that a Reptisun 10.0 t5 by chance ? And how many watts is the heat bulb ?

Be sure to limit the superworms and that the dubias are not too large. You want to see that he's able to poo.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I don't know the temp but under his light its pretty hot, but not TOO hot for me. The UVB is a ExoTerra ReptiGlo 10.0, t8, 15 watts. His ceramic heat bulb is faded but I think it says 15 watts, and his day time light (UVA/UVB/Heat bulb) is 50 watts. I'll post some more photos soon. :)

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I forgot to say that his heat lamp when out last week for two whole days. I bought a new one ASAP, but he had no heat :( :( :( . Could that be what's causing all this? :? :?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, lack of heat will def. cause it, they need heat to digest their food. A good rule is if the heat/poer goes out you don't feed them. But everything should get back to normal with a few adjustments. I'm positive that a 50 watt bub is not enough to heat the tank, and I'll tell you a little tip that most breeders + long time owners know. You don't need pet store heat bulbs. Just go to Walmart or Home Depot and get a 4 pack of halogen or plain old incandescent [ old fashioned ] bulbs like this :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-100-Watt-Basic-Light-Bulb-4-Pack-GE-41034-1710-lumen-
A19/150144812

Next you need to increase the uvb so mount the fixture inside the tank with fishing line or picture hanging wire like this :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

He'll get much more uvb exposure which he needs since you don't have a t5 bulb. But do those changes ASAP, especially getting a hotter basking bulb.

HerpGirl

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Under his basking spot is pretty hot, he's pooing fine now and he's not doing the liquid thing anymore!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom