Red Beard aka Hot Tamales Aka Unnamed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!!!

I'm obviously a hatchling around the beardie community, and yesterday I brought a 6 mo boy home with me! My first dragon! Originally I was planning on getting one near the end of the week but.... he was too cute.

So, currently just, Beardie; He's a red AM Leatherback with way too much Zoom and curiosity! Love it! He loves soft blankets, he loves to poop on soft blankets, and he's a snuggly people person!

Here are some pics!
https://i.imgur.com/Q5XtbUOr.jpg
https://sta.sh/0tvi6ihk92c

He has a 75 gallon tank downstairs that my dad and brother will be moving to my room tonight, seeing as everyone was too sore last night. So that means he currently has sort of free roam of my room. He gets so distracted by everything that I have to keep tossing him under his lamp.

My only concern is that he has these droopy looking eyes? Whenever I see drooping eyes I see something wrong... but he's very energetic, he had a large gross poop on my bed that was really firm. It had a pluck of orange in it? But i'm not seeing anything on that. Otherwise- he acts like a healthy 2yo!

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Congratulations !!
He’s very handsome - I like how you capitalized Zoom - that’s an interesting name if I can suggest ...
About his eyes - they actually look fine in the pix - if you mean that he’s closing his eyes while he’s chilln’ that’s normal - they just close their eyes sometimes and it looks like they’re sleeping but they’re “resting” ... catching a breathe kind of thing.

SwervesBar

Original Poster
KevinsMom33":qyjti1lp said:
Congratulations !!
He’s very handsome - I like how you capitalized Zoom - that’s an interesting name if I can suggest ...
About his eyes - they actually look fine in the pix - if you mean that he’s closing his eyes while he’s chilln’ that’s normal - they just close their eyes sometimes and it looks like they’re sleeping but they’re “resting” ... catching a breathe kind of thing.

AH! Zoom is a good name!!! I have 4 people calling him 4 different things right now lol, guess we'll see what sticks the best!

And his eyes really look funny to me, I pointed that out to my friend who has had beardies for a long time and he said he looks dehydrated. The only problem is that I can't get him to drink anything, and he isn't very excited about fruits. Have any suggestions?

9tGDW7I.jpg

Other than that I'd say he's pretty darn spoiled!

Livvie

He's beautiful! Kind of looks like my SweetPea. If there's a pluck of orange in his poop, then he is definitely dehydrated. You can help him rehydrate by giving him baths. Or misting him with water from a spray bottle. Or combining both, give him a bath one day and maybe mist him the next? I've learned about bathing them and dehydration from different forums on here. You can pretty much find any info you need from our wonderful, fellow beardie parents here. Good luck!
P.s. have you tried kiwi fruit? My SweetPea loves them and they're a good source for hydration.?

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Neither of mine will drink from standing water - actually they don’t like to drink at all... sometimes I use an eye dropper (with smart water) but most of the times I just bathe them every other day or so, Kevin will sometimes drink the water.
So yes - definitely bathing and soyaying with water will help.
Don’t worry too much about the fruits - veggies have lots of moisture too. Butternut squash is a favorite. Zucchini also.
Both Kevin and Nona LOVE raspberries - omg - they should only be a once a week treat though.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
My baby commonly eats her greens and sips water whether still or otherwise. I think it honestly has to do with how their raised the first couple months since everyone I've seen had issues with babies eating greens and any drink of water. First thing I notice with mine getting dehydrated, which tends to occur if her water hasn't been replaced in >2 days, is her sides become a tiny bit wrinkly. Before anyone gets on me about >2 day water replacements, I usually do it every other day. Sooner if her bowl isn't clean. Often times all it needs is a little refill on the second day. If it goes till the third day it's because of my work hours and her second care taker not doing a proper job :?

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
They definitely have mind if their own and each has their own different likes. One minute Kevin loves mustard greens next day he won’t touch them and I have to scramble to find out what he’ll like. Right now he likes collards, last week it was endive ...
Nona used to eat as many Dubai’s as she could in 2 minutes flat - now, she doesn’t want any - turn her nose up ... (of course this is after I buy 500) ... but put a raspberry in front of either of them and it’s game on!
But neither will touch water in the tank.
Kevin technically likes showers over baths .... he loves sitting in the sink with warm water flowing in him and me using a soft toothbrush to scratch him. He loves it.
Nona we’re working on - she really hates water. Drinking it I have to use an eye dropper - getting baths she squirms and tries to run out (now that she can run) but she ok getting spritz’d.
Definitely each is an individual.

SwervesBar

Original Poster
OHMYGOODNESS!!!

I'm so happy to see so many people actively replying and offering any sort of tidbits of advice and information! Ig makes me feel so much better to know that each Beardie is different and, honesly, I feel quite a bit less stressed.

So a little update- I decided to name him Pancake!!!!
It sounds ridiculous but everytime he flops on his log it really reminds me of a pancake. Everyone is still calling him whatever they want lol.
Also, Today he had his first normal hydrated poop!!! No orange present!!! And, (unfortunately for my urge to be lazy) he's very active and interested in his surroundings.

Thank you all so much for your help! I took all of your suggestions and tried everything, he doesn't drink anything, at all. So i misted his greens and lured him into eating some, and have soaked him for 10-20 minutes. Now that he's okay I'll bathe him every other day!!!

Still figuring out how to get him to find interest in a nice salad and how many roaches a day he needs to eat, but we're grtting there!

I send my love to all your special scaly babies and hope you had a relaxing vacation over the holidays!!!!

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
I love PANCAKE!!! It’s Fabulous.
You guys will work out a routine and it’s obvious you want to do right by him.
102444-5273615560.jpg
Kevin says hey !

SwervesBar

Original Poster
KevinsMom33":2mfzu9ge said:
I love PANCAKE!!! It’s Fabulous.
You guys will work out a routine and it’s obvious you want to do right by him.
Kevin says hey !

OHMYGOODNESS!!!!!!

Kevin is such a gorgeous boy!!!! Eep! I showed my mom and she loves him!

Hopefully one day Pancake will be as big and beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing your beardie blessing !!! X3

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
aww - you’re sweet. Kevin is a rather large boy. With a huge personality.
I’m sure Pancake will be big and strong before you know it! Dragon cuddles are the best. I have a friend that actually comes over when she’s stressed for Kevin cuddle time.
102444-4557599607.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom