URGENT-Going on vacation for 2 nights, what to do with baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdugery

Tomorrow I am going to New York city for two nights and will return Friday afternoon. I have a baby bearded dragon but I am not sure what to do with him while I go away. He has yet to eat any veggies and has eaten a few crickets and mealworms. I only have mealworms right now. I heard that you can't let crickets out in his cage because they will bite him, but I am wondering if mealworms can be left out for him to eat. He spends most of his time on his hammock basking so I don't think they could even get up there. I'm just not sure how to feed him. I also purchased a gel premix for my bearded dragon which I made today. I was thinking I could leave that in his cage with a lot of veggies before leaving. The thing is, I've had him for 3 days now and he hasn't touched his veggies. I've given him a small variety of them but he has just been eating crickets and as of last night, worms. He has only eaten a few too, so I'm a bit nervous that if I leave him with the veggies he won't eat them. He also didn't eat any of the gel mix today.

So I am just wondering what I should do and how I should leave him. I can't, unfortunately, get anyone to come to our house while we're gone. I do have all of his lights on timers, so I am not worried about those.

My cooler side of my 75 gallon tank is the left, which stays at about 75 degrees. I was wondering if I should put the food there. Again, my concern is that he has never really gone over there or even eaten any vegetables when I tried to hand feed him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, although it's not recommended to leave a baby it won't be that bad for just 2 days. Right now he is still going through relocation stress , hence the low appetite. So just leave several small boels of veggies [ finely chopped greens + squash ] and cut up a couple of small mealworms right in with the salad. Mealworms are not good for baby dragons [ hard to digest,cause impaction easily ] so cutting + mixing them with a salad will be fine. Put out 2 paper plates with a heap of greens in 2 areas of the tank so he can easily spot them. Something I used to do if I was gone all day was to also prop up 1 big leaf of a turnip or mustard green and spray it with water. The babies always would munch on it through the day.

If you have a lot of greens in the tank you COULD leave a few very small crickets, they won't bother the dragon if they have plenty of salad to eat.

BTW, can you post pics of your baby and the tank ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
IMO leaving mealworms , even if chopped up , for him to nibble on while your away is a poor suggestion.

Better off getting a worm escape proof dish and leaving a heaping helping of BSFL or blowfly gents in it for him.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good suggestion, bsfl would be great. :) I think the O.P is gone already though. If you have access to them they are a much better choice than mealworms so see if your pet store carries them or order them online. They are sold under the names " Phoneix worms " or Calci worms. If you ever use mealworms in a pinch though, just 2-3 cut up in a bowl of salad is fine but no more than that. Older dragons can handle a few more but they should not be a staple part of the diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom