Reptisun 10.0 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're a good person and will be a great owner for this beardie. I know they can appear visually O.K. but have mobility problems, they are posted here like that often. BTW, is his name Cosmo ? As for the MVB, sometimes they seem to be fine, others report they are not so great. I've raised a lot of babies and have used both the long tube bulbs as well as the MVB's. Powersuns seem to be fine, as well as Solar glo by Exoterra . I have read OTHER reviews where people did not feel the bulbs were trustworthy or that they blew out. I've never used the Megaray but have heard that it's possibly the best.

Here's something to think about : you may need to him in the tote or the 20 gallon tank until [ and IF he regains mobility ] Or you might opt for a smaller + shorter custom made home. The lights can all be mounted inside and the uvb [ even now ] should be close to the basking lamp so it shines down on him as he basks. Another option for him to get good uvb right now would be to get an 18" Reptisun that can be mounted by attaching it under the wire/screen. Here's how I had it in one of my tanks , you can use plastic coated wire to loop through the top:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30028/full

And this is how I used to set up babies :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29953/full
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29926/full

Of course they could climb up close enough to benefit from the lights.

Baby hatching just for cuteness :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29966/full

Beardiecosmo2019

Original Poster
Awww the baby is so cute. That photo you showed me is exactly how I was going to do the new enclosure with that type of mesh screening on top and attach it just like that only of course it was a 6-foot enclosure but if he doesn't game mobility I guess a 6-foot enclosure will be kind of stupid and a waste of my time and money. I just knew that a dragon that's a year old should not be in a 20 gallon tank and that might be part of why he's so small I know he looks a little Hefty in the photos but if you were to see him in person he's much smaller than he should be and when I first got him you could see his bones.within just two weeks he beefed up at first I was feeding him very small meals but several times a day and watching his poop. I started with slurries of course and hydration which included Pedialyte and many baths. Since the beginning of this conversation I have adjusted things around in his enclosure so that both the Basking light and the repti Sun intersect on his basking area I have also reposition things so that he's able to get closer to the top. I'm going to go check out a smaller reptisun fixture would run me and a new bulb and then see if I can attach it to that metal rack that i have going across that would make it closer down for him. If eventually he goes into a 6-foot enclosure because he's gained Mobility then I will use this 4gt fixture and bulb. What do you use for a basking light do you use a halogen bulb or do you use a reptile combination? It was suggested to me to use a halogen bulb from my hardware store but use a floodlight not a spotlight what would you recommend? I can tell you tonight he's even better because he was gaping quite a bit to expel Heat.i think that I got that one spot very nice for him because he doesn't want to move LOL and even after eating he went right back to that exact spot. Right now he's laying there with his arms spread in his eyes closed he looks pretty comfortable and is colorings really good. I didn't even know he had yellows and orange and Rusty Brown yues. The stripes on the side of his head or coming out so nicely. he always looked so black when I first got him and seen him at their home.when I first got him his ear holes laid on the ground because that's how skinny he was I would have to prop his head up during baths. I couldn't believe how fast he gained weight they must have been starving him.

Beardiecosmo2019

Original Poster
I forgot to include yes his name is Cosmo that's what they named him and he responds to it so I didn't want to change that for him. He doesn't mind me picking him up and he does try to snuggle with me. He's very good considering what he's been through he was never handled much either. I'm going to stick with the tote right now because it's a little bigger so it gives more areas for temperature changes and because the 20 gallon tank he came in is very deep and hard for me to reach in with this really weird lid on it. Okay that's good to know cause that's what I thought someone told me I'm wasting my money on pet store ones. I'm looking to do whatever it takes but I'm not looking to waste money I have a lot of rescued animals LOL I appreciate the information I have more questions but I need to feed my animals and do some chores and things I probably should make a separate post because it's in reference to something other than lighting I'm not sure how it works I don't want to go against the rules of the Forum.

Beardiecosmo2019

Original Poster
Before I end this particular post and start another one for another question I want to thank everyone who commented because you really helped me.this bearded dragon is actually gaping joyfully for the first time since I brought him home. He has occasionally gaped but not like tonight! his mouth is open with his tongue slightly out under his basking light. I adjusted things so that the repti sun 10.0 and the Basking light intersect and he has the option of a slate rock or a elevated piece of wood to choose from but no matter where he goes in his basking area he's getting both bulbs in which he loves! He is actually positioned himself between the two sitting there staring at a flower picture just with his mouth wide open he looks so happy and it makes me happy thank you everyone! I appreciate it! I have never seen him sit there like this and gape. He looks at peace .and no he does not have a respiratory infection he's been vet checked and approved LOL

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome ! And Cosmo is a sweet name. :) Is he mobile enough to get around if he wants to move from any area.? And BTW, you can actually try a dropper to give him a drink if you ever think he's thirsty. :)

Beardiecosmo2019

Original Poster
Thank you that was a name his previous owner gave him I just wanted to keep it. Yes his front legs are very mobile and he's able to move himself around. As a matter of fact I rearranged his enclosure so he could get closer to the light and I also got a couple more pieces of natural slate that I disinfected and baked. I forgot to put the gardening photos up on the one side and I've never seen a bearded dragon Bob its head or scratch at the side of the enclosure before.he had such a mean look on his face that I've never seen. He actually thought there was another Dragon there because he was seeing his own reflection. He may drag his legs but he can move and he was unable to do that a couple weeks ago I had to hurry up and get a picture and put it up LOL the mean look on his face was priceless LOL

A question I’ve been asking people because I hear yes and no for is, I have a t5 10.0 uvb bulb running about 2/3 of my 40 gallon breeder tank but I just put a exxo terra solar glo mercury vapor bulb that is for heat and uvb I just put it over his basking spot today so that he is getting uvb from both, idk if it’s safe to do or not, I’ve read many people say that you can use both and that’s it’s good for both but at the same time I hear people say that’s way too
Much uvb, but when I have only the t5 10.0 uvb bulb going on it’s own, he’s been walking on his wrist seeming like it’s not enough for him, so that’s what I’ve been looking for answers on, I feelbta with all the questions. Thanks for taking him in though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom