Growing normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mishbenz

I have an old bearded dragon uvb bulb that was my uncles in the late 2000’s and she’s a small Beardie so I was wondering if I get another uvb bulb will she grow like a normal dragon (yes I know tube lights are better)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Those coil bulbs don't last that long Six months use is all you can get and, they are only fit for tropical creatures not desert creatures!!!

There many things that have to be in place for a growing dragon.
1. Proper UVB
2. Proper heat gradients across the enclosure
3. Proper food for good balanced nutrition and, hydration
4. A good vitamin and, calcium regiment
5. Lots of cuddles and, lovin

Mishbenz

Original Poster
Gormagon":3ijhkio7 said:
Those coil bulbs don't last that long Six months use is all you can get and, they are only fit for tropical creatures not desert creatures!!!
My friend has a 15 year old bearded dragon and he’s only used 2 coil bulbs

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Mishbenz":17u2h9id said:
Gormagon":17u2h9id said:
15 years and, only used 2 bulbs........They can't be puting out any UVB after six months or so, much less for 7.5 years, sorry but his dragon has to have MBD with little to no UVB!!!

I think you are pulling my leg here!!!

Mishbenz

Original Poster
Gormagon":1lem4nzv said:
Mishbenz":1lem4nzv said:
Gormagon":1lem4nzv said:
15 years and, only used 2 bulbs........They can't be puting out any UVB after six months or so, much less for 7.5 years, sorry but his dragon has to have MBD with little to no UVB!!!

I think you are pulling my leg here!!!
my friends Beardie has only had a tiny bit of tail rot when it was a baby but now it’s healthy hasn’t had any trace of MBD

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Please don't listen to your friend, he does not know what he is talking about. Beardies NEED tube bulbs, not those coil ones. If you care about your dragon, dump the money needed into a good lighting setup. Sorry if this came off as harsh but sometimes that is all that will work.

Mishbenz

Original Poster
JessPets":mm1rkdn6 said:
Please don't listen to your friend, he does not know what he is talking about. Beardies NEED tube bulbs, not those coil ones. If you care about your dragon, dump the money needed into a good lighting setup. Sorry if this came off as harsh but sometimes that is all that will work.
I’m trying to save up some more money to get a tube uvb light but for the time being I’m just going to use the coil bulb then buy the tube uvb

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Please do it asap! Your dragon's health is dependent upon you and your care. Once you get everything set up, the rest is a breeze.

Mishbenz

Original Poster
Gormagon":1r68eou2 said:
Please do it asap! Your dragon's health is dependent upon you and your care. Once you get everything set up, the rest is a breeze.
thank you very much for your help

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
You can also get a mercury vapor bulb - it’s heat, uva & uvb all in one. I’ve used them for a few years now. I have a free range dragon so having a tube doesn’t work for us. My smaller dragon is in tank and she has a MVB as well as a small coil. I know the coils are not all that great - but I use is as suplental to the MVB. The MVB are kind of expensive but I get mine through amazon. So you have that as an option too.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":i1p31ucn said:
Are you talking about these bulbs???

87978-1757285660.jpg

87978-1226214040.jpg

Both of them are not strong enough for dragons.

You have to be very careful how you use compact coil UVB globes.

They are not suitable for large enclosures , but can be used if done correctly, ie 26W UVB200 in a nanohood mounted under the lid (this means the compact is mounted horizontally rather than vertically ==> giving a wider more spread out beam of strong UV , and no more than 8" from the basking spot and replaced twice per year. This is what I've done successfully for many years.
My solarmeter measurements indicate at 8" inches distance from a 26W UVB200 in a nanohood the following happen
new globe , 190 - 200 microW UVB / sq.cm
6 month old globe , 130 - 140 microW UVB / sq.cm , roughly equivalent to a new 26W UVB150
12 months old globe , 60 microW UVB / sq.cm , no longer effective (even for use with skinks) so into the bin.

The person who claims no MBD in a bearded dragon who has had practically zero UVB for several years Is BSing you.

Ideally , a T5ho tube about 2/3 the length of the tank , rated at least 10% UVB mounted in a reflector hood and under the lid and no more than 12" from the basking spot is the way to go.
Even better is a T5ho 12% UVB tube and if the tank is taller than 2ft a T5ho 14% UVB is the way to go.
MVBs & Metal Halide globes are OK BUT be aware it's hard to optimize the temperature & UVA & UVB from a single light source and the UV beam is very focused and narrow with these.

Mishbenz

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1v51668q said:
Gormagon":1v51668q said:
Are you talking about these bulbs???

87978-1757285660.jpg

87978-1226214040.jpg

Both of them are not strong enough for dragons.

You have to be very careful how you use compact coil UVB globes.

They are not suitable for large enclosures , but can be used if done correctly, ie 26W UVB200 in a nanohood mounted under the lid (this means the compact is mounted horizontally rather than vertically ==> giving a wider more spread out beam of strong UV , and no more than 8" from the basking spot and replaced twice per year. This is what I've done successfully for many years.
My solarmeter measurements indicate at 8" inches distance from a 26W UVB200 in a nanohood the following happen
new globe , 190 - 200 microW UVB / sq.cm
6 month old globe , 130 - 140 microW UVB / sq.cm , roughly equivalent to a new 26W UVB150
12 months old globe , 60 microW UVB / sq.cm , no longer effective (even for use with skinks) so into the bin.

The person who claims no MBD in a bearded dragon who has had practically zero UVB for several years Is BSing you.

Ideally , a T5ho tube about 2/3 the length of the tank , rated at least 10% UVB mounted in a reflector hood and under the lid and no more than 12" from the basking spot is the way to go.
Even better is a T5ho 12% UVB tube and if the tank is taller than 2ft a T5ho 14% UVB is the way to go.
MVBs & Metal Halide globes are OK BUT be aware it's hard to optimize the temperature & UVA & UVB from a single light source and the UV beam is very focused and narrow with these.
I have a big enclosure but she usually never moves to the other side and I’m only getting one for the time being because I’m trying to save up money for a tube uvb

If can do it yourself, it’s quite simple ( I don’t know anything electrical or building and I did it myself) but go to a hardware store and buy a 18”-24” fluorescent light fixture, along with the necessary power cord and attachment and assemble a tube fixture yourself. And you can buy reflective tape and make your own reflector for the unit. I did it and it cost me 24$ to assemble the fixture and the cost of the reptisun tube. **which are cheaper online for some reason**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom