Free Range dragon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Aaradimian":2oxxlgog said:
MollyMoo98":2oxxlgog said:
I definitely don't agree with the anti-cat person, if free roam works for you then go for it. Though im not sure I could trust my cat enough unsupervised lol but if you can then you got one good cat lol. It's not that she wants to hurt my beardie it's just that she is so curious. Whereas my other cat is terrified of my beardie and the most he will do is smell her but the minute Molly moves he is gone lol. I never understood the "Keep your cats away from your beardie, don't let them in the same room, don't even let them see each other" like even if they don't get along too much if your tank is sturdy it should be no problem. My beardie is in my room but before I got her it was cat central so they own my room she is just a permanent guest lol they would in no way they'd allow me to kick them out.

Yeah, cats will claim an area, and woe betide anyone who tries to change that. When I had mine, I had a miniature couch he'd sleep on in 'his' corner, and he had none of it when my wife & I wanted to use that space for something else.

In defense of the poster who hates cats, I've been on this site about a year, and he's definitely someone with a ton of BD knowledge who is passionate about their health and wellbeing. Tone & personal feelings about cats aside, it would be a mistake IMO to dismiss his comments out of hand (and I know the OP is being careful with her setup, so this is directed generally). My nickname for my cat was "HK" for hunter-killer, and while I loved him for what he was, I also had no illusions of what he was capable of as a natural consequence of being a cat. The takeaway from this thread probably ought to be that it *can* work in certain narrow circumstances, but it isn't recommended and can have tragic consequences.

Well - To those who criticizes me or keep giving me unasked advise - I did not ask for permission, advise or your opinions on what you think is right- I merely asked if anyone else had free range dragons - not your option on the matter.
You do not see our day to day interactions or the fact that my cats are not “hunter killers” .... not all cats are one step away from bring feral.
As for the poster/cat hater Nobby - I would just assume that he/she never respond to any of my posts ever again.
My cats and my dragons are just fine - Kevin is an unusually large dragon - that even the vet and herpetologist suggest he is part German giant - because he really is a big guy - the cats run from him when he gets territorial.
I will state yet again - is not for everyone and we do know that this us and the norm - but it works for us. thank you all very much.
Happy Holidays.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Post something advocating dangerous / bad husbandry and I will jump all over it and do my best to discourage others from thinking it's OK. I wont mince words and will be very blunt and direct.

If this upsets some , so be it.

IMO advocating allowing cats having access to a lizard on a reptile board is unacceptable and can be intepretted as baiting .
Those who claim they do this safely …. it's only a matter of time before puss lashes out.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
kingofnobbys":12zek9e5 said:
Post something advocating dangerous / bad husbandry and I will jump all over it and do my best to discourage others from thinking it's OK.
Yes, We all know everybody normally means good intentions and we all are Concerned about the one thing: The health and wellbeing of our animals.

I do try to Kindly point out the wrong points of husbandry that one may have; But I do think you may need to lighten it up a bit and let's all try to keep this site as peaceful and Calm as we possibly can. :)

and KevinsMom33, How is Kevin and Nona doing lately? How's the free roaming going? :)

Happy Holidays. :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I have been on here for quite some time now and, have seen a lot of threads that were about cats attacking dragons (at least 10 or more a year) and, it is sad to read them.
Ol'Kingofnobbys is very passionate (almost to a fault) about this because where he lives (Australia) Feral Cats are destroying the balance of nature there and, he has suffered first hand. He is quite a blunt fellow (most aussies are, LOL) but, he means well. If you were to ever need help with your dragons health he would be one of the first to help you. He is extremely passionate about them as am I.
Yes, I suppose I am coming to his defense and, will most likely get slammed for it but, we do try to curb the interaction between dragons and cats for a good reason. If it works for you that's great!!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The point has been made that he''s been asked by a moderator AND the O.P to stay off the thread. And no one has hounded him about 2 perfectly [ visually] healthy dragons that died unexpectedly and with no explanation as free roamers in his house either. Should there be an interrogation about that ? You can be passionate without insulting + insisting that your way is the only way to think. And to write that the only good cat is a dead cat, that's just unbelievable and should not be mentioned anywhere on any forum. Maybe start your own forum .

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":30zf695j said:
Post something advocating dangerous / bad husbandry and I will jump all over it and do my best to discourage others from thinking it's OK. I wont mince words and will be very blunt and direct.

IMO advocating allowing cats having access to a lizard on a reptile board is unacceptable and can be intepretted as baiting .
Those who claim they do this safely …. it's only a matter of time before puss lashes out.

In believe I asked you to LEAVE ME ALONE. I DO NOT APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS.
I do not care if you are an Aussie - and that you have hatred for cats - what I go care about is that you had free range dragons that dies in your care - with no cat involved - yet you judge me and how I treat Kevin? How dare you - seriously. I don’t care about his knowledge about dragons - he’s not a vet or a herpatologist - 2 people that I do have involved in my care of my dragons.
Please do not respond to any of my posts. GO AWAY. Do not bother me again.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HippieLizards":1i57nkoa said:
kingofnobbys":1i57nkoa said:
Post something advocating dangerous / bad husbandry and I will jump all over it and do my best to discourage others from thinking it's OK.
Yes, We all know everybody normally means good intentions and we all are Concerned about the one thing: The health and wellbeing of our animals.

I do try to Kindly point out the wrong points of husbandry that one may have; But I do think you may need to lighten it up a bit and let's all try to keep this site as peaceful and Calm as we possibly can. :)

and KevinsMom33, How is Kevin and Nona doing lately? How's the free roaming going? :)

Happy Holidays. :)

Kevin is great - it’s winter in the northeast of the US so he slowing down a bit - he doesn’t fully brumate -slows down and sleeps a lot- he had minor surgery a few weeks ago to remove a couple of growths on his belly that the vet didn’t like - I noticed them over the summer - they didn’t grow and didn’t come off with his shed- turned out both were superficial skin growths, no abscess underneath and no cancer - she said he was an awesome patient and just did local numbing - stitches came out the other day - and barely a scar ...right now he’s doing his morning walkthrough his territory - dining room, living room - he’s going to the front door to look outside, now heading back to his yoga mat... he’s king of his castle. The cats slept through it all ...
Nona is in her tank - soaking up the rays of a mvb - she’s getting so big and strong - she’s going through another full body shed - so she’s not eating well - she does not want the Dubai’s these days - just decided one day - no more Dubai’s - just superworms - I don’t know why. She’s been sleepy too but the vet does not want her to brumate at all this year as she’s still recovering from her malnutrition and dies not have the fat reserves yet. She likes to get out of the tank and walk around - but I keep an eye on her and Kevin - she likes the tank - I think it gives her a sense of security - it’s a big world for a tiny girl ....
thanks for asking Hippie !
How are yours doing ??

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1hydctvv said:
The point has been made that he''s been asked by a moderator AND the O.P to stay off the thread. And no one has hounded him about 2 perfectly [ visually] healthy dragons that died unexpectedly and with no explanation as free roamers in his house either. Should there be an interrogation about that ? You can be passionate without insulting + insisting that your way is the only way to think. And to write that the only good cat is a dead cat, that's just unbelievable and should not be mentioned anywhere on any forum. Maybe start your own forum .

Thank you AHBD - I had no idea that Nobby had free rangers that died - I’m very sorry to hear that - I truly am. It’s very heartbreaking - but apparently no cats were involved - so what caused it?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
For the record: His dragons were kept in enclosures, the only free roaming creatures are wild skinks that have come to like it in his house.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I should have mentioned, they are not totally free range but spend a great deal of time out of their cages , lots of that time is spent with the owner but part of that time they are allowed to roam free.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey,

Wow...Im not saying anything about the cat stuff...
Can anyone just be happy that it works for her and Kevin is not injured or dead? Just asking here.
Idc if you're sooo against what she's doing but cmon guys...he's not dead or hurt. You made your point clear. It's not changing anything. Hounding her isn't gonna make the cat gone from the house and dragon in tank.

I agree with AHBD. Saying a good cat is dead is quite rude and nasty.

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
BlueDragon09":3fjz8gmc said:
Hey,

Can anyone just be happy that it works for her and Kevin is not injured or dead? Just asking here
Idc if you're sooo against what she's doing but cmon guys...he's not dead or hurt. You made your point clear. It's not changing anything. Hounding her isn't gonna make the cat gone from the house and dragon in tank.

Thanks Blue - it does work for us - I don’t know how many times I have to say it - it’s just us ... I do not recommend anyone follow our lead. We’ve lived like this for over 3 years .... But Kevin is quite happy and not the least bit bothered by the cats and the cats like to sleep under the heat lights - and sometimes he’ll chace them away if he’s feeling territorial and sometimes he’ll crawl under one to sleep and get warmer... if I had any fear that Kevin was in danger - I would figure something out - but he can’t go back in a tank and the cats are staying ...
This was just a few minutes ago... Kevin and his cats (Sofia and her baby Lily).
102444-5008003167.jpg

KevinsMom33

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
BlueDragon09":3f04eju4 said:
Hey,

Can anyone just be happy that it works for her and Kevin is not injured or dead? Just asking here

Thanks Blue - it does work for us - I don’t know how many times I have to say it - it’s just us ... I do not recommend anyone follow our lead. We’ve lived like this for over 3 years .... But Kevin is quite happy and not the least bit bothered by the cats and the cats like to sleep under the heat lights - and sometimes he’ll chase them away if he’s feeling territorial and sometimes he’ll crawl under one to sleep and get warmer... if I had any fear that Kevin was in danger - I would figure something out - but he can’t go back in a tank and the cats are staying ...
This was just a few minutes ago... Kevin and his cats (Sofia and her baby Lily).
102444-5008003167.jpg

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Hey,

You're welcome. I've been watching and not posting much because Im not a confrontational person. I don't want to get in fights. I have cats too and I cant do what you do. Do not come for me anti cat people I know how to keep my dragon safe, thanks. Done it 13 years soooo yeah...
They won't listen no cat is a dragon safe house that's how they think. Most won't say anything. I do remember a guy on here and his cat and dragon are chill he doesn't come on anymore.

Sofia looks like my 10 yr old cat. I still think they are beautiful. Kevin looks chill too.
Hows Nona?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom