Broken shoulder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buk

Original Poster
Sadly I am aware he might not make it, hoping for the best though! He’s been a little more alert today but still not moving really or eating. Tried the baby food but he didn’t take any, gonna keep trying but don’t want to disturb him to much at the same time!

Buk

Original Poster
He is still about the same, He is moving himself around when he wants to, but still will not eat anything. He poo’d Again this morning, all white though this time. Have tried and tried to get him to eat, he looks at me at times when I’m over there but usually shuts his eyes back and goes back to sleep, just thought I’d give a update! Not sure of what else I can do for the little guy!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He may have a partial impaction since only urate [ the white " pee " ] is coming out. Try some raw honey dripped on his nose as well as sugar free applesauce. That can give him a bit of energy and is also a natural laxative.

Buk

Original Poster
I am going to call another Veterinarian tomorrow morning and try to get him in to see this one asap! It will be a little bit of a drive, I just don’t want to see him suffer if there is help I can get him!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How long since he ate anything solid.

If no soilds in , don't expect solids (poo) to come out.

You may need to start force feeding him or getting him onto to critical care given orally by syringe.

Definitely talk to another vet and insist on xrays .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor thing, he is definitely in critical shape I agree.
At least he did drink a little bit & went to the bathroom some. As suggested, try the softer foods
in the case that he is impacted.
Are you keeping him a little warmer overnight also?

Tracie

Buk

Original Poster
It’s been four days since he ate anything solid, today is number five!

I have just been keeping him at room temperature at night, which is around 70 to 72, I keep my thermostat on 72.

Waiting for vets to open to call

Taking him in this afternoon to see another vet, driving a hour and half for it! Gonna use a hot hands warmer underneath some towels to keep him warm on trip. Hope that’s ok

Buk

Original Poster
Ok Vet visit went ok

He has very little bone density from what the Vet said and possibly parasites.

I have to give him injections twice a day for 10 days of Calcium Gluconate(super nervous about doing them) they showed me how but still I have trouble seeing his scales and was told to go in between them.

Calcium glubionate orally twice a day for 30 days
Albon daily for 7 days
Carnivore care feed

Recommended I switch to repashy supplements and that I add a thermostat to control temperatures, told me to keep it more on the hot side closer to 110 and have to look at adding heat at night to keep him warmer at night.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little guy ! Will he take the oral meds. at all ? Did the vet give it to him while you were there ? I would not inject calcium in him if he takes the calcium orally. Did you try the honey at all ? Many beardies like the flavor of it. You want to try to give him something that he'll willingly lap up so the meds. will go down. Try to find anything the baby willingly licks up, even a bit of fruit juice to help get the calcium in him.

Now did the vet say he MIGHT have parasites ? They have to KNOW the baby has parasites, not just assume. Albon is a very harsh med.!! Between painful shots + that drug I think he's too fragile to handle it. If the vet had no fecal test done that is sooooo dangerous. BTW, the best drug for coccidia [ that's what Albon is for ] is toltrazuril. Just 2 doses usually works. If you ever need it, you can order it here :

http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=246
It comes with dosing instructions.

Buk

Original Poster
They gave him his first shot of calcium there but nothing else. I did try the honey thing and I do think after a while he lapped it up but not right away. Right now no I don’t think he will take anything orally on his own, he is to weak at this point! I blame myself for his condition! I should point out both oral meds are only .01cc

He said might have parasites that most do! Wants me to have fecal sample tested locally at a vet here, how fresh do they need? How do I go about collecting and taking it? I have to take him back in 10 days!

I trust this Vet way more than that other one I had taken him too. I will gladly drive to get him the proper care that he deserves! It’s the least I can do! I am doing everything in my power to save this little guy!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, It's obvious you really care abut the little guy and are doing your very best ! His condition is not your fault at all. Try a bit of natural fruit juice , just a drop to mix with the calcium and also with the Carnivore Care feed. Whatever might get him to lick it up.

It's just never good practice to give a harsh dewormer if there has not been a fecal test done.

Buk

Original Poster
Any advice on giving the shot? Am I just trying to get the needle under the skin? They showed me to do it on the back between scales, having a hard time telling where the scales are, he’s so tiny only 5 grams

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I wouldn't give him a shot, he's just small + fragile. Tiny bones in his body that are right near any point of entry. Maybe just work on getting some in his mouth and that may help him.

Try this to get a bit of C.Care + calcium in him. Take a tiny piece of cardboard about 2" X 2" , like from a cereal box top. Slide it along the side or tip of his mouth + wedge it in gently. While he bites at it you can quickly get the syringe tip in the side and depress the plunger . It should only take a few seconds. Stroke his throat a bit if he doesn't swallow but he should, esp. once he gets the taste of it.

I really feel for you having to deal with this situation and wanting to help your tiny sick beardie.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one doing this evening? I am so sorry you two are going through this, it's never
easy dealing with such an ill reptile, especially his size. We are all pulling for him.
Keep trying to get foods/fluids into him, carefully. The cardboard method is good, as AHBD
already suggested.
As far as giving the calcium shots, go in between his scales, & just be careful. Where did he tell
you to give them, the shoulder blade area, or upper arm? Rotate sites, to avoid soreness or any
scar tissue buildup.
I agree, the Albon is very harsh & in his condition, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. If you feel he
may have worms or parasites, try adding some mint, parsley, basil & oregano blended up to help
detox the system. You could blend it with a little bit of honey, too.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Buk

Original Poster
He took his oral meds pretty well this morning, missed on the injection squirted out on his back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom