We'll Soon Be Welcoming 'Dude' Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoftMum

Hi all!

Our (13yr old) Son set his heart on having a beardie having seen one in a store, and after having thoroughly convinced us he'd done a ton of research and that he can take responsibility for him, we're allowing him to have one.

We bought a load of kit which we'll be setting up after Christmas, and hopefully 'Dude' will be coming home with us in the New Year... He's too young to come home just yet, and they want to keep monitoring his eating habits etc to make sure all is well. I'm anticipating daily trips to check in on him once we're home after Christmas until we can bring him home!

One thing our research did show though, is that there's conflicting info on those first few days of Dude being home. It seems the most sensible approach is to simply offer hand feeding and put hands in viv fairly regularly for the first few days, before trying to handle him once he's more settled and familiar?

I look forward to having a look through the forums for info, and sharing info on how Dude gets on!

Here's a pic of Dude in his current environment... My Husband has some better pics (and yes, there's another in the background, but Dude chose us) :)
102533-2758368566.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Glad you joined us here and, for providing "Dude" a good home.
Be careful not to fall for the advice given at the pet store, most of these people don't know squat about dragons and, are only trying to sell a product. ALL of the "so called" dragon kits they sell only provide a dismal existence for dragons..... The lighting is wrong, most times the substrate is wrong and, food supplied in the kit is wrong. Believe me, we learned the hard way :( Dragons are not a beginner reptile as they advertise them to be.
A lot of baby dragons die from their advice so beware!!!

If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask, we are here to help your dragon thrive!!!!

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Welcome :) I second everything gormagon said above. The kits are not good- nearly all the ones I’ve seen do not provide the right lighting, heating and sometimes substrate.

Some very good basics (and advise written in as small of a space not to overload this thread with info) would be :

Uvb - a t5 10% or 12% is alot better than a t8. I recommend getting that one right off the bat to avoid upgrading costs.
One half or 3/4s of the length of your vivarium is the best size to get.

Basking bulb needs to be a bright white one.either a petshop basking bulb (I use an Arcadia pet shop brought one) or some here use flood lights which others here can help you with what is best on :)

If your house drops below mid 60s (f) you’ll need a ceramic heat emitter - one that just produces heat- no light- the red and blue lights are terrible for beardies as they need no light to sleep or else their sleep is disturbed which leads to other issues. If your house doesn’t get below mid 60s you don’t need any :)

A infrared gun is definitely a essential in my opinion to keep an eye on your temps. Dial temp gauges are inaccurate and unfortunately these come in set ups often.

Substrate - most beardie set ups come with sand but I don’t recommend it. It causes impaction often and therefore can be quite dangerous. I recommend tile or vinyl flooring. I use vinyl (linoleum) in my vivarium and I love it- so easy to clean up messes on it, looks great too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom