Baby beardy acting lethargic in enclosure and reduced eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am a bit worried about my baby beardie. I purchased him from a local pet store, they told me he was approximately 10 weeks old. He was being fed small to medium sized crickets and was one of the more active of his sibings. I measured him at 5 1/2 inches and 6.4 grams the day i picked him up.

https://imgur.com/a/zpgrDie

I did research before purchasing my dragon. Hes in a 40gal breeder (exoterra large wide).I have a 24in reptisun 10.0 mounted inside the enclosure. 150w exoterra intense basking light on a dimmer. Repticarpet and a 16x16 slate tile on basking side. I have 2 digital hygrometers with probes, one on each side of the enclosure. I also have an infared probe thermometer for getting exact temps. Cool side 78f 35rh, hot side 90-112 gradient 25rh. Night time temps 73 degrees.

https://imgur.com/a/LRNCEGx

This picture isnt accurate, things have changed the last week. Im working on building a custom stand to house the enclosure also his hide and a few alterations have been made.

Lights are off at the moment, i will take updated pictures in the morning. I have been measuring him weekly tomorrow will mark the end of week 2. His behavior lately is what im worried about, at first i though it was relocation stress but not it has me concerned. He started eating ok on average of 5 to 10 crickets a day for the first few days l, as the days went on he started eating less an less. I called a local bug breeder and ordered some black soldier fly larvae aka phoenix worms and also some small dubias to help add some variety. The first day he ate 7 bsfl in a row, which was the most hes ate since ive had him. That was a week ago. The next day he at 3 bsfl and 2 dubias, next day 1 bsfl 1 dubia and that stayed steady up till yesterday. Now he didnt eat anything today at all. Keep in mind during this time ive been bathing him 95-100f every other day or everyday depending on hes activity. Also been dropping water on his nose for him to lap which hes still doing and spray him occasionally which he dont seem to like much. Hes been pretty regular with his bowels. 2 to 3x a day, which doesnt make sense since hes pooping more than he eats. Feces looks normal nice form, although lately it has been having a clear gray mucus layer on it , but ive read its from being properly hydrated. His urate are nice and white and are not hard.

His behavior has been odd since day 1 which makes me thing its somethimg to do with the enclosure. He has always been pretty lazy and doesnt ever want to leave his basking area. I never see him stay in the hotter area enough to where he starts gaping. I have to move him from his basking area and i roll him in a towel burrito or he will sleep on his basking spot. I have a second basking lamp i use when i take him out of the enclosure if he needs to warm up. He likes to hang out around there and is very alert outside of his enclosure. I also have seen him gape under it and he likes to poop withing 10 mins of being under it. Those temps read around 105 to 108. Even not eating he seems alert and like to run around and explore when not in his enclosure the minute he goes in he goes back to being lethargic and barely keeping his eyes open, sleeping on his stick. Im stumped. If i cant get him to eat in the morning tomorrow im going to get some baby food to start giving him untill i figure out the next step. Any tips on what my problem could be would be greatly appreciated.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
It sounds like you have a good setup with proper lighting, I could not see your image. The basking light seems fairly high Watts, but you have it on a dimmer. Might try a lower watt basking bulb, maybe the dimmer is not regulating the temperatures correctly. You could try some Repashy grub pie for him. It’s a powder you mix with hot water that sets up like jello, made from insects. Most beardies like that. The Exoterra tank is a good tank, especially with the front opening doors. Mine will drink from the dropper, does not like baths. He does not like being misted either. I only do baths if he’s shedding and use a soft toothbrush. I’m sure you will get some help from someone on this site. Definitely post some pictures of him and his setup. It’s great that you’ve done a lot or research already.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
Ive had the basking light at the full strength. I expiremented with it a bit. I updated the pics to links for some reason it wouldnt let me attach them. I was able to get him to lap aome chicken baby food during lunch. He wanted nothing to do with insects so far. I left a couple of phoenix worms in his feed dish. Forgot to mention his lights are 12 on 12 off for winter. I will post better pics of the enclosure and health update tonite.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
Finally got a moment to take some pictures. This is a pic of my current setup

https://imgur.com/a/b2FugC0

Highest temp on the basking area

https://imgur.com/a/fKIdk3o

Current picture of him.

https://imgur.com/a/yQ6d14Q

I have him slightly stretched out here. You cant see his ribs when he normally sits or lays unless hes taking a big exhale. Hes still got an ok tummy although it definately looks like hes a bit dehydrated even though hes getting plenty of water. No poops today which was anticipated considering he hasnt ate anything. He has darkened up quit a bit from yesterday especially on his chin and belly. I measured him today and he weighs the same the day i got him 2 weeks ago. I did notice him scratching his face on his branch a few times it looks like hes about to shed soon. He is still not eating anything other than hes been lapping some baby food twice today. He is also very lethargic still just sleeps under his light. If i take him out he runs back to his enclosure.

https://imgur.com/a/wJEFjtK

Anybody have any ideas? Please

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty good in those photos. You may want to attach the temp probe right to the wooden basking piece so you have a surface temp right there. I zip tie mine on and it works pretty well. Is your 24'' UVB the T8 tube or is it a T5 with a 24'' fixture (22'' bulb)? A T5 is appropriate for a tank that size. I'd use T5 over T8 to provide adequate UVB exposure.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3pyirixb said:
He looks pretty good in those photos. You may want to attach the temp probe right to the wooden basking piece so you have a surface temp right there. I zip tie mine on and it works pretty well. Is your 24'' UVB the T8 tube or is it a T5 with a 24'' fixture (22'' bulb)? A T5 is appropriate for a tank that size. I'd use T5 over T8 to provide adequate UVB exposure.

Its the 24" T8 tube 18 watts with custom reflector i made pointing at his spot. I went with the T8s due to the T5s having odd lamp sizes and being a pain to find adequate fixtures. Would it be more beneficial to run a dual bulb t8 fixture? And thank you i will try ataching the probe.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
This is day number 3 without any food and he is looking in very bad shape. Its hard to believe it would be the uv light considering ppl have been usin t8s this way for over a decade. I do have a t5 ho on the way though. Willing to try anything. I dont think hes going to make it much longer, he definately is struggling even with making it to his basking spot now. Any thoughts from anyone?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I'm sorry he's having issues. I would try feeding him some baby food. Like squash and chicken mix some calcium in and do the stage one baby food. Hopefully he'll make it.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
destiny1998":3jqmt8ba said:
Hi. I'm sorry he's having issues. I would try feeding him some baby food. Like squash and chicken mix some calcium in and do the stage one baby food. Hopefully he'll make it.

He had a little bit of chicken baby food yesterday but he would just ignore it today. Just would let it sit on his nose till it runs down his chin. He also would take very little water today. I gave him a 15 min bath with some pedialyte mixed it. He did have a very little poop this afternoon, im suprised there is anything left in his system. I set up an appointment with the ony local exotic vet. The earliest they can get me in is next wednesday the 26th. I dont think he will make it till then not eating.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I'm so sorry to hear about your little guy. I would definitely keep the vet appointment. When my little girl wasn't eating because she had worms and respiratory infection, I fed her Oxbow Critical Care that I got as a prescription from the vet. I'd call the vet and ask if it is okay to force feed this to your little one with a syringe. Sometimes this food will help with getting their appetite loss back. I've included the link for the food below. Hope that helps! Keep us updated!

https://www.amazon.com/Oxbow-Critical-Care-Supplement-141gm/dp/B0021WZJD8/ref=asc_df_B0021WZJD8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218543830990&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9105943634890301409&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9060061&hvtargid=pla-408281809127&psc=1

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
vrenee1018":1xeipdjh said:
I'm so sorry to hear about your little guy. I would definitely keep the vet appointment. When my little girl wasn't eating because she had worms and respiratory infection, I fed her Oxbow Critical Care that I got as a prescription from the vet. I'd call the vet and ask if it is okay to force feed this to your little one with a syringe. Sometimes this food will help with getting their appetite loss back. I've included the link for the food below. Hope that helps! Keep us updated!

Thank you I will do that. Should I purchase both the herbivore and carnivore packs since they are omnivores? Hes been lapping baby food, its the best i can get him to do. If i try to put anything in his mouth he clamps his jaw shut. He is pooping very small amounts 1x a day and is sort of alert if he gets scared. Seems a small bit better today then yesterday.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Quicksilv312":3gmlxjnt said:
vrenee1018":3gmlxjnt said:

Thank you I will do that. Should I purchase both the herbivore and carnivore packs since they are omnivores? Hes been lapping baby food, its the best i can get him to do. If i try to put anything in his mouth he clamps his jaw shut. He is pooping very small amounts 1x a day and is sort of alert if he gets scared. Seems a small bit better today then yesterday.

I was actually given both by my vet. First the carnivore pack, then the critical care because she still wasn't eating on her own. I'd call the vet and ask for professional advice though. I'm just going but what I've experienced with my little one. It did help her a lot, and she did start eating her normal food. Just make sure you don't feed too much because they'll get complacent with you feeding them and not eat normal.

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
Ok thanks alot. Hes super wrinkley today when hes not puffed up. Barely has his eyes open.He did have a good amount of baby food today. Chicken and squash mixed with some pedialyte and some of his multivitamin and calcium.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear that your little one is not doing so well. A couple things to consider. He may not be used to all the handling + bathing and this is stressing him out. Bathing need not be done, especially since he takes water orally. Do you feed him in the tank or out ? He's still getting used to all new environment and that can be overwhelming to a baby. If he wants to sleep on his log, that's fine rather than wrapping him in a towel, just put it under the log in case he falls off at night.

This is not to say that it's your interacting + handling causing it, just one of several possibilities. As mentioned, he may have parasites but unless it's a lot of them, beardies don't usually get so lethargic. It may also be atadenovirus but I doubt it since you say he gets active outside of the tank. How is his activity level today ? You're doing a good job trying to care for him , keep up the syringe feeding + hydration but cut the baths. I hope everything turns out O.K.Can you post a current pic ?

Quicksilv312

Original Poster
AHBD":33ewyqtl said:
Hi there, sorry to hear that your little one is not doing so well. A couple things to consider. He may not be used to all the handling + bathing and this is stressing him out. Bathing need not be done, especially since he takes water orally. Do you feed him in the tank or out ? He's still getting used to all new environment and that can be overwhelming to a baby. If he wants to sleep on his log, that's fine rather than wrapping him in a towel, just put it under the log in case he falls off at night.

This is not to say that it's your interacting + handling causing it, just one of several possibilities. As mentioned, he may have parasites but unless it's a lot of them, beardies don't usually get so lethargic. It may also be atadenovirus but I doubt it since you say he gets active outside of the tank. How is his activity level today ? You're doing a good job trying to care for him , keep up the syringe feeding + hydration but cut the baths. I hope everything turns out O.K.Can you post a current pic ?

Ok ill take the advice on the bathing, thank you. I skipped yesterday already. Good news i got a vet and rescheduled for saturday. Its tough with the holidays. Hes eating about 1ml per day so far, i havent seen him deficate yet. Lately hes been jumping from his basking branch onto a decorative plant i have and lays in the leaves about 5in from the uv tube, i think its his way of hiding since hes not at all used to his tank, i never see him wander out of his basking are or ever explore his hide. If i see him in the plant again ill try to get a picture.

I called the pet store i purchased him from since he was hatched inhouse. They told me with their babies they like to take a tupperware and cut a door in it and put some moist paper towel. They like the higher humidity to help with shedding. This way it doesnt raise the humidity in the tank. What do you guys think?

On another note. I thought he was shedding because his limbs are dull in color and also hos head and tail but it doesnt seem to be progressing the last few days. Also when he was rubbing his face on the basking branch i think it was from me feeding him. I catch him doing that roght after a feed. Also he bulges his eyes out and fills his head full of air its super crazy looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom