Stargazing, twisting body, and mouth open!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
FYI: Seizures may be caused by low calcium levels in the bloodstream, and this may start out as just one muscle or muscle group twitching and, over time, may progress to tremors and full-blown seizures. Bearded Dragon seizures are most commonly related to calcium problems. (Source: ReptilesMag)

Unfortunately, that coil UVB bulb may have not been producing enough UVB to create D3 and synthesize calcium in your beardie. Most beardie people do not recommend the coil bulbs. How far was it from your beardie? When was the last time it was changed?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do replace the Reptisun 10 compact/coil light to a long linear fluorescent tube bulb. Can you
mount it underneath of the screen top? Please do post pictures of the tank setup for us, so we
can see how everything is placed.
We do need to be sure of the sex of your dragon. Please take pictures of the hind end, with the
tail up relatively high, but careful not to lift too high. We can try to determine the sex of your
dragon, just to be sure.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
SydneyGaia":25rtfb1e said:
The basking light is fine, but get rid of that coil. Get a t5 flourescent -- Either an Arcadia 12% or Reptisun 10.0.

What size is your enclosure? Can you take a picture of your enclosure? Thanks.

Also, temp specs? How old is this beardie? She has great size!

What state or country do you live in? You may want to expand your radius and find a qualified exotics vet.

So we initially put her in a tank when we rescued her, but she really didn't like it. So our current enclosure looks like this. We know it is not the best and we are actually currently trying to build an enclosure ourself so that it will be a lot better.

She really likes just coming out of her enclosure and exploring our living room, she really enjoys it!

I live in Canada and we have some vets around, but we really don't trust them to be experienced enough in bearded dragons.

We don't know how old she is as we rescued her about a year and a half ago!

97113-9833633438.jpg

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
Drache613":drs3hvsx said:
Hello,

Do replace the Reptisun 10 compact/coil light to a long linear fluorescent tube bulb. Can you
mount it underneath of the screen top? Please do post pictures of the tank setup for us, so we
can see how everything is placed.
We do need to be sure of the sex of your dragon. Please take pictures of the hind end, with the
tail up relatively high, but careful not to lift too high. We can try to determine the sex of your
dragon, just to be sure.
How is she doing today?

Tracie

She seems to be doing better these past 2 days, she's been sleeping better, but her beard is still always black.

Yesterday, she made a rather unusual poo, should I attach the picture here?

She's still eating really well and she seems to have less aggressive movements.

I've attached a picture of her rear end, if it is not very clear, please let me know. Also a picture of her yesterday exploring the living room!
97113-8535516457.jpg

Thank you for you guy' help!!! :D :D Both me and Kale appreciate it so much!

97113-1136144200.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
This is where your dragon lives??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

PS. Looks like a male to me!!

Mine lives here!!! 4x2x2
There is no way you can keep the proper temps and, things they need to survive in a cardboard box. What was he living in before you rescued him?
87978-5524911587.jpg

Enrichment is an important part of their lives.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Yeah, letting him roam, supervised, is ok - but not all of the time, unless if you have a room specially made and insulated to hold the correct temperature gradient. Temps are a BIG deal for cold blooded animals - which, generally, people may not realize this since we, and most pets, are warm blooded. Being cold blooded is a whole different ball game.

Get a 4x2x2 for him, if you can (120 gal). I highly recommend Zen Habitats - they are affordable and stylish (and are not fish tanks).

As for not trusting your exotic vets - that is fine, if maybe there is a trustworthy one a few hrs away that you can travel to. However, it doesn't sound like that is the case - something is better than nothing. Bearded Dragons are "mainstream" enough now that any exotic vet should at least have SOME experience with them. When I first got a beardie 12 years ago, it was a bit of a different story... it's not like you are trying to find a vet for a tegu or a caiman lizard.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SydneyGaia":1gi685dn said:
Gormagon":1gi685dn said:
Disagreed - I do not see any enlarged pre-femoral glands there. Males have enlarged ones, females do not
Yes, I saw that too but, I was looking more at the 2 bulges on the tail. Not a real good picture though.

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
SydneyGaia":2jzhrl3k said:
Yeah, letting him roam, supervised, is ok - but not all of the time, unless if you have a room specially made and insulated to hold the correct temperature gradient. Temps are a BIG deal for cold blooded animals - which, generally, people may not realize this since we, and most pets, are warm blooded. Being cold blooded is a whole different ball game.

Get a 4x2x2 for him, if you can (120 gal). I highly recommend Zen Habitats - they are affordable and stylish (and are not fish tanks).

As for not trusting your exotic vets - that is fine, if maybe there is a trustworthy one a few hrs away that you can travel to. However, it doesn't sound like that is the case - something is better than nothing. Bearded Dragons are "mainstream" enough now that any exotic vet should at least have SOME experience with them. When I first got a beardie 12 years ago, it was a bit of a different story... it's not like you are trying to find a vet for a tegu or a caiman lizard.

I was thinking of building her one of those melamine tanks for her. Would those be okay?

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
Gormagon":1vniwz69 said:
This is where your dragon lives??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mine lives here!!! 4x2x2
There is no way you can keep the proper temps and, things they need to survive in a cardboard box. What was he living in before you rescued him?
87978-5524911587.jpg

Enrichment is an important part of their lives.

We have no idea where she is from or what her conditions were like before. She was rather skinny when she came to our backyard!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Lucky you found him, he wouldn't have survived a winter in canada.
You came to the right place to get him all better. We are here to help dragons live good strong lives, that is why we are recommending these things that he desperately needs.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
kalethebeardie":2ednv2fn said:
SydneyGaia":2ednv2fn said:

I was thinking of building her one of those melamine tanks for her. Would those be okay?
Yep and they supposedly hold heat very well. Just make sure that it is vented.

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
Gormagon":23j317hb said:
Lucky you found him, he wouldn't have survived a winter in canada.
You came to the right place to get him all better. We are here to help dragons live good strong lives, that is why we are recommending these things that he desperately needs.

Yes, I am so glad he came to us! Still unsure Kale's gender still! We're not very good in determining it.

We're going to build him a melanine tank soon and hopefully his condition will improve!

He doesn't eat by himself, and now only eats when we feed him by hand, is there any way to fix this and train him to eat by himself?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to see that she does O.K in between the episodes. It's really very important to get a proper set up and the uvb bulb that was recomended. Remember, she gets very little uvb from the weak compact bulb and she gets zero uvb if she's free roaming. I know it's fun for her though . :)

BTW, I know she probably doesn't like when you do it but could you get 2-3 more good pics of her rear end to get a sure view to determine the gender ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom