My little friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my first beardie! 3 months old. The pet store was not sure of the gender so once it gets used to it's new home and me handling it I will check. It seems to be handling the new home well, and was moving about the habitat all day, and is now sleeping peacefully. If it is a male it will be named Hades, and if it is a female it will be named Medusa!

101913-5579825332.jpg

101913-3604868078.jpg

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
Congratulations. Welcome to beardie parenthood. What is your lighting and heating setup? It almost looks like there is a red heat lamp possibly, based off second pic. You need to trade that out for a ceramic heat emitter if its used for overnight heating. A normal GE par 38 flood light from a home supply store will be good for basking bulb for day time. I have a 38 watt one over my 20 gallon tank and it hits 95 to 100 degrees. What are you using for uvb?

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
Congratulations. Welcome to beardie parenthood. What is your lighting and heating setup? It almost looks like there is a red heat lamp possibly, based off second pic. You need to trade that out for a ceramic heat emitter if its used for overnight heating. A normal GE par 38 flood light from a home supply store will be good for basking bulb for day time. I have a 38 watt one over my 20 gallon tank and it hits 95 to 100 degrees. What are you using for uvb?

Sorry for double post. One of these could be deleted if a moderator sees this.

ChibiZoMbiE

Original Poster
Thank you. I definitely do plan on switching to an emitter. The infrared was what was included with the tank kit. Gotta wait until I get my next paycheck to be able to upgrade. The daytime light is a 100w bulb for basking. The uvb is a reptisun 5.0 bulb in a zoo med naturalistic terrarium hood.

Been monitoring the temperature the past few days using a thermometer on each side. The cool side stays about 75-80 and the basking spot gets up to 90-100.

Everything I got came in a starter kit. Tank, bulbs, lamps, food and water dishes. I bought a skull basking rock for the warm side and a log hideaway for the cool side. I plan on adding more to make it "home-y" for the little one when I can. Here is a picture of the basic setup so far.

101913-9324199324.jpg

The beardie seems to be getting along well so far in the habitat. Ate lettuce in the morning and throughout the day. I hand fed it the first few pieces to start getting it used to me. I then feed it 6 powder coated crickets in the early evening. It has started communicating with me by waving. I have yet to start handling it. With it being so fragile I do get kinda nervous still. I might try in the next day or so to give it more time getting used to it's home.

ChibiZoMbiE

Original Poster
No cover on the UV. Just the mesh from the top of the tank is separating the light. I am considering looking into a sturdier, not as fine mesh to use. Should help get more UV through, no? We also have a cat. I have been letting her have limited access to my room and supervising her with the tank. I am just worried of her trying to jump on top of the tank and busting through the mesh.

Hi there!
Your beardie reminds me of the one we got from a Pet store too. They had him labeled as "fancy" which to them means he had some color that they don't usually see. I just got him because he was the healthiest looking one despite missing a toe.
I realized after bringing the little guy home how much the pet store "expert" didn't know. What's sad though is I went to a breeder before the pet store and that person told me that the pet store kits would be a good start. Ugh. So as you might know by now, our special "Bearded Dragon Kit" is not that optimal for beardies. I've had to order a UVB fluorescent bulb, and not use the sand that came with the kit.
So, how's your little guy/girl doing?

ChibiZoMbiE

Original Poster
avasgoldfish":1lbxvlo6 said:
Hi there!
Your beardie reminds me of the one we got from a Pet store too. They had him labeled as "fancy" which to them means he had some color that they don't usually see. I just got him because he was the healthiest looking one despite missing a toe.
I realized after bringing the little guy home how much the pet store "expert" didn't know. What's sad though is I went to a breeder before the pet store and that person told me that the pet store kits would be a good start. Ugh. So as you might know by now, our special "Bearded Dragon Kit" is not that optimal for beardies. I've had to order a UVB fluorescent bulb, and not use the sand that came with the kit.
So, how's your little guy/girl doing?

He's doing great! Getting pretty big. I determined it is a male so named him Hades. Once I get to a point where I can afford to buy everything I plan on starting a dubia roach colony to feed. I also need to get some more tank background to put up so he is more comfortable, but he is doing really well. I play with him almost nightly for 15 minutes or so. He has gotten pretty decent color since I got him. I started adding carrots to his diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom