Just rescued a 2-3 year old Male beardie. How to bond with h

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just rescued a 2-3 year old Male beardie. The previous owners told me that he is mean and aggressive to other males. They said he will his sometimes and doesnt really like being held at first. I have had him for a couple of days now and I couldnt be more in love with him! I was wondering if there is any tips and tricks to get him more used to me. I would also like to work on him trusting me more on handling so we can have little adventures together. He spends most of his days sleeping and eating so I feel getting him out of his tank for a little every day or so would be beneficial. I am new to owning beardies so any advice helps. Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are pretty territorial in general so I wouldn't take him being aggressive toward other dragons as a slight against him. I'm glad he is settling in well with you. Offering him treats by hand can help form a bit of a bond with him and get him used to you. If he's OK with handling you can definitely take him out and let him roam around a bit. They usually like to sit in a window sill and look outside too. You could set up a portable basking lamp in a room so he can return to that to warm up when he's roaming around. Do be sure to supervise him closely, especially at first, since he may dart off or hide somewhere that is difficult to find him.

If you'd like to provide details about his tank and lighting I'd be glad to review it to make sure everything is just right for him. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

HelloKaitie

Original Poster
102432-26986311.jpg
Thank you fo
102432-7157236957.jpg
r your quick response. He is slowly getting used to me. He loves to be held and will demand to be let out of his tank in the morning for cuddles and breakfast lol. He is quite the drama queen when I say no to cuddles. I have changed his lights (since the people who had him before used regular house bulbs). He has a backing and infrared on one side and a daytime light on the other. Basking side stays between 98-102 while the cooler side where his food is stays about 85-90. My next question would be if he needs a bigger tank. He doesnt run around and rather just be moved by someone. I feel as though he is cramped and maybe cant turn around all the way. I will try to upload some pics. Ty
102432-8163489210.jpg
102432-1200855226.jpg
102432-7157236957.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes I would upgrade his tank to a bigger one- and get rid of the sand! To like a tile or a vinyl flooring - some thing not smooth- I just upgraded my tank to a Zen Habitat 120 gallon from a 50 gallon- its real light weight - it has the bamboo sides and back and flooring of which is too smooth -- I am going to put tile in right now it is covered w/ paper towels just so he can get traction -- the infrared light what is that ? A colored light? I have noticed people have one side of their tanks dark--- my tank is completely lit up - one side having a day light and then the basking and UVB lights- however if he wants dark he can go into his hide/ platform or a rock that he goes into both for sleeping-- the 50 gallon is on sale right now from Pet Smart for $170- I paid a $150 for same tank like 4 years ago-- hope this helps--

Karrie

HelloKaitie

Original Poster
The infrared is just a red light I like to have it on for him at night I notice he is less restless and also helps teach him his routine. I am planning on completely changing his environment as soon as this crazy holiday season slows down lol! My best bet is a 120 gallon for him with a hammock some more natural wood or rock accessories and defiently a better flooring most likely tiles. Are there any specifics I have to look for while looking for tiles?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Tank sounds great but I would recommend getting rid of the red light - they say it hurts their eyes-- only lights should be the basking and the UVB or a daylight that has no heat like a reg house hold 75 watt bulb- -- I recently upgraded my tank to the 120 gallon- but the red light should go!

Karrie

HelloKaitie

Original Poster
102432-4949164367.jpg
Thanks for the advice guys! Recently I've bought Grumples a $400 tank, better lighting, a little plant (which he loves),
102432-6964256274.jpg
more furniture, and better bedding. Also no more red lights (pics show with red light because I was waiting for the new bulbs to come in). Let me know what you guys think...also if I can improve anything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Tank looks nice and no more red light -- however I dont know what you have for a UVB but this is what everyone on the forum recommends -- Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia).
UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- looks like reptile carpet in the tank ?
Karrie

HelloKaitie

Original Poster
I have the proper lighting now and he is much more comfortable...and yes I have reptile carpeting. I've tried other substrates and he prefers to walk on carpeting or fabrics. So picky he doesnt even like newspaper or tiles!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Wow!! :lol: Well I am sure he will do good then and if he shows hes more happy that is a good sign
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom