Question's about t5 fixtures, as well as substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowley

Beardie name(s)
Crowley
Hello all!

I need to upgrade my beardie's UVB to a t5 10.0. I have a 40g breeder and am currently using a t8 10.0. I am worried he isn't getting enough UVB and am unsue as to what fixture I need to mount the light.

I am planning to mount it inside the terrarium on the inside of the screen. The fixtures on amazon run about $50 alone for the reptisun brand, is there anything cheaper I could use instead as a mount? I also would like a 22"-24" light, do I purchase a 24" fixture for a 24" light?

If somebody could give me links as recommendations (even if it isn't cheaper, I don't trust myself to understand all of this well enough to purchase what I think is "right") that would be so helpful.

Also, my beardie's current substrate is paper towels and sometimes a carpeted mat on top. However, this can get really messy as Crowley tends to glass dance quite a bit (especially after pooping) and will completely shred and lift up the towel and mat. He will poop and then cover himself in it while glass dancing, getting it all over himself and the cage. Sometimes after lifting the substrate, he will poop directly on the glass floor and that gets REALLY messy!

What substrate do you recommend to someone who is usually working while this disaster takes place, and comes home late at night when it is too late to save it? I need something that seems impossible: won't be lifted up, won't allow poop to smear beyond reason (ie: tile?) and easy-ish to clean. The best I've found so far is the green mat, but I have a hard time weighing it down. It might just be impossible to find the perfect thing, but suggestions will be super helpful.

I appreciate whoever took the time to read this, and will be immensely grateful for any assistance.

Thank you.

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
Scroll down a bit in this thread.
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=246413
Look for post by me, and you'll find links for t5 lights. You will need to get uvb bulb separately. Last setup I got was around 45 dollars for fixture and bulb. The fixture is 24 inches, but takes a 22 inch bulb.
I have the same issue ,ugh. one of my beardies poops, then glass surfs and smears it every where. Can be quite the mess. I use indoor/outdoor carpet. Got a few cut to size, so I can pull it out and drop in a clean one, then try to get soiled one cleaned up before the clean one gets too nasty.
The joys of beardies. I swear mine does this on purpose to me. Lol

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I use the non adhesive shelf liner, cheap, easy to clean & bugs can’t hide under it. One of the other members is using a very thin roll of linoleum. Cut it to size. So much easier than reptile carpet.

Crowley

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Crowley
Wow, thank you guys so much! Yes I've considered linoleum flooring as well as slate, howevet Crowley will still run around in his poop and smear it- looking for something to help it "stick". Multiple sets of carpets sounds like a good idea, though!

I really appreciate the fixture & lighting help!!!! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom