My baby Beardie won’t eat anything but Crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasha805

Hi everyone, I’m a new Beardie owner. My lil guy is about 2 months old I’m assuming. He is still really small. Anyways I have tried introducing different foods to him ie worms, fruits,veggies and he won’t eat them he only eats crickets ?!! Should I be concerned?? Also in the last week he has started “ puffing” his throat a lot!! Any thoughts?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, at least he is eating! LOL
You have tried small phoenix/calcium worms? What about tiny roaches?
You can try hand feeding him small pieces of fruit, such as strawberries or blueberries, they
usually like those fruits. Try arugula or dandelion greens, they have a unique flavor that most
tend to like.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Usually lack of appetite in a hatchling or juvenile is tied to
>> poor UV (insufficient levels of of UVA will result in a lack of appetite)
>> temperatures ( too hot ==> heat stressed , too cold ==> very reduced metabolic rate ==> reduced appetite )
>> impaction (sand or other particle type or fibrous bedding ==> VERY BAD)
>> sharing tank with a sibling who is dominating and getting the lion's share of the food
>> can see other dragon in another tank who is stressing it
>> in appropriate feeder (too small usually)
>> photoperiod too short
>> cat stalking it (stressing it)

Unfortunately pet shops often sell very inappropriate stuff in their "Bearded Dragon Kits" , especially sand, 13W compact 5% or 10% UVB globes etc, mesh lids etc.

I suggest your work through this chart , it's likely the cause will poke out at you : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

You will also get some good hints of appropriate feeders for a 2 months of hatchling here :
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=242393
At his age , he needs nearly entirely live insects in his diet , if he shows any interest in greens or salad it's a bonus (please don't obsess over his showing little or no interest in veg and salad greens for now , keep offering them daily and what is not eaten , use to gut load the crickets (this way he will get the greens and veg via his insects).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tasha805":2rrb73sv said:
Hi everyone, I’m a new Beardie owner. My lil guy is about 2 months old I’m assuming. He is still really small. Anyways I have tried introducing different foods to him ie worms, fruits,veggies and he won’t eat them he only eats crickets ?!! Should I be concerned?? << no
Also in the last week he has started “ puffing” his throat a lot!! Any thoughts?
that's throat skin stretching , he'll be shedding shortly.

Tasha805

Original Poster
Drache613":3eag7bk2 said:
Hello,

Well, at least he is eating! LOL
You have tried small phoenix/calcium worms? What about tiny roaches?
You can try hand feeding him small pieces of fruit, such as strawberries or blueberries, they
usually like those fruits. Try arugula or dandelion greens, they have a unique flavor that most
tend to like.

Tracie

That has been my attitude at least he is eating something! Thank you for the suggestions!!

Tasha805

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3qk3h3d1 said:
Tasha805":3qk3h3d1 said:
Hi everyone, I’m a new Beardie owner. My lil guy is about 2 months old I’m assuming. He is still really small. Anyways I have tried introducing different foods to him ie worms, fruits,veggies and he won’t eat them he only eats crickets ?!! Should I be concerned?? << no
Also in the last week he has started “ puffing” his throat a lot!! Any thoughts?
that's throat skin stretching , he'll be shedding shortly.

Thank you!!! From what I googled they said he may have been showing dominance but there’s no ther beardies in my home. However I do have to pups and my Chihuahua lives to stare at him all day long.. The dogs are very concerned with him especially when I put Crickets in the tank. They don’t like them in there lol. I tell my dogs that El Chapo is our baby and they get super excited ?

Tasha805

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1onwdqeh said:
>> temperatures ( too hot ==> heat stressed , too cold ==> very reduced metabolic rate ==> reduced appetite )
>> sharing tank with a sibling who is dominating and getting the lion's share of the food
>> photoperiod too short

Unfortunately pet shops often sell very inappropriate stuff in their "Bearded Dragon Kits" , especially sand, 13W compact 5% or 10% UVB globes etc, mesh lids etc.

I suggest your work through this chart , it's likely the cause will poke out at you : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

You will also get some good hints of appropriate feeders for a 2 months of hatchling here :
At his age , he needs nearly entirely live insects in his diet , if he shows any interest in greens or salad it's a bonus (please don't obsess over his showing little or no interest in veg and salad greens for now , keep offering them daily and what is not eaten , use to gut load the crickets (this way he will get the greens and veg via his insects).

This was all super helpful I do have a puppy that stares at El Chapo all day this could be considered as stalking but he still eats his crickets. Now the UVB I have is 10 watts plus I have a ceramic heat bulb and the other daytime light. I don’t use the red light at night because he has the heater and I have noticed the longer that I’ve had him that he sleeps on the cooler side of his tank so I just stopped using the light at night. What do you suggest the UVB wattage to be? I’m so glad I found this forum. I’m a female in the 40’s and just bonded with my friends beardies so my husband bought me El Chapo for my birthday. Reptiles have never been a pet I would have imagined myself owning lol but this my journey begins!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tasha805":33wg9osf said:
kingofnobbys":33wg9osf said:
>> photoperiod too short

This was all super helpful I do have a puppy that stares at El Chapo all day this could be considered as stalking but he still eats his crickets. Now the UVB I have is 10 watts<<<< it's not strong enough
Refer to this for some guidance on setting up proper UV lighting : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

I strongly suggest at the very least upgrading to an Exo Terra 26W UVB200 immediately and moving the UV so it's no more than 8 inches from the basking spot and under the mesh lid. Even better upgrade to an Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB tube and a good reflector hood .

plus I have a ceramic heat bulb and the other daytime light. I don’t use the red light at night because he has the heater and I have noticed the longer that I’ve had him that he sleeps on the cooler side of his tank so I just stopped using the light at night. What do you suggest the UVB wattage to be? I’m so glad I found this forum. I’m a female in the 40’s and just bonded with my friends beardies so my husband bought me El Chapo for my birthday. Reptiles have never been a pet I would have imagined myself owning lol but this my journey begins!!!

Tasha805

Original Poster
I strongly suggest at the very least upgrading to an Exo Terra 26W UVB200 immediately and moving the UV so it's no more than 8 inches from the basking spot and under the mesh lid. Even better upgrade to an Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB tube and a good reflector hood .[/color]

I just purchased the first one on Amazon thank you for your help!!!

plus I have a ceramic heat bulb and the other daytime light. I don’t use the red light at night because he has the heater and I have noticed the longer that I’ve had him that he sleeps on the cooler side of his tank so I just stopped using the light at night. What do you suggest the UVB wattage to be? I’m so glad I found this forum. I’m a female in the 40’s and just bonded with my friends beardies so my husband bought me El Chapo for my birthday. Reptiles have never been a pet I would have imagined myself owning lol but this my journey begins!!![/quote][/quote]

Tasha805

Original Poster
Tasha805":iq9lbbeb said:
I strongly suggest at the very least upgrading to an Exo Terra 26W UVB200 immediately and moving the UV so it's no more than 8 inches from the basking spot and under the mesh lid. Even better upgrade to an Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB tube and a good reflector hood .[/color]

I just purchased the first one on Amazon thank you for your help!!!

plus I have a ceramic heat bulb and the other daytime light. I don’t use the red light at night because he has the heater and I have noticed the longer that I’ve had him that he sleeps on the cooler side of his tank so I just stopped using the light at night. What do you suggest the UVB wattage to be? I’m so glad I found this forum. I’m a female in the 40’s and just bonded with my friends beardies so my husband bought me El Chapo for my birthday. Reptiles have never been a pet I would have imagined myself owning lol but this my journey begins!!!
[/quote][/quote]

Do you know of a site where I can get a hood reflector and Arcadia light all in one? I’ve been looking online and have only found a UK site. They have Arcadia bulbs on Amazon but not the desert series

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Do you know of a site where I can get a hood reflector and Arcadia light all in one? I’ve been looking online and have only found a UK site. They have Arcadia bulbs on Amazon but not the desert series

I found no one stocked the Arcadia hoods I wanted here , and I could only get two Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB tubes from the only reseller so I opted to buy from overseas and import my own , hence dodging GST , local markups (very large on reptile lighting ==> extortionate) and I wasn't at the mercy of a local dealer who might not place their next bulk wholesale order for several months.
Postage was a killer , but still worked out cheaper for me all up by about 30%.
You might not save as much for just one Arcadia Slimline kit.

I bought all my Arcadia Slimline Luminaires (came with Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB tubes ready installed) from Birmingham Reptile in the UK (I bought four of them). I'm in Australia so the only complication is the configuration of powerplug is different to the UK plug, easily fixed, I asked them to add a 4 outlet UK powerboard , and I will simply plug them all into that when I get my 4 tanks upgraded (my old DIYS plywood tanks are getting old and worn out looking) , and the powerboard will be connected to a UK-AU adapter.

Try Ebay …. more sellers there and it'll work out cheaper than Amazon & you will have both eBay's and PayPal's buyer protections incase something goes wrong.

What country are you located in ?

Tasha805

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":vxo0frxb said:

I found no one stocked the Arcadia hoods I wanted here , and I could only get two Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB tubes from the only reseller so I opted to buy from overseas and import my own , hence dodging GST , local markups (very large on reptile lighting ==> extortionate) and I wasn't at the mercy of a local dealer who might not place their next bulk wholesale order for several months.
Postage was a killer , but still worked out cheaper for me all up by about 30%.
You might not save as much for just one Arcadia Slimline kit.

I bought all my Arcadia Slimline Luminaires (came with Arcadia T5ho 12%UVB tubes ready installed) from Birmingham Reptile in the UK (I bought four of them). I'm in Australia so the only complication is the configuration of powerplug is different to the UK plug, easily fixed, I asked them to add a 4 outlet UK powerboard , and I will simply plug them all into that when I get my 4 tanks upgraded (my old DIYS plywood tanks are getting old and worn out looking) , and the powerboard will be connected to a UK-AU adapter.

Try Ebay …. more sellers there and it'll work out cheaper than Amazon & you will have both eBay's and PayPal's buyer protections incase something goes wrong.

What country are you located in ?

In America , California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom