Beardie eating clay substrate? Help!

Have any questions about one of the many subtle behaviors a beardie has? Ask and discuss it here!

Beardie eating clay substrate? Help!

Postby LilCheeto » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:10 pm

I recently purchased some clay excavator substrate for my beardie. I set it up, and immediately he started eating entire chunks of the substrate! I read up on it and nobody seemed to have any similar issues. I took him out to let the clay dry cause I thought he was attracted to the shininess of the wet clay, but yet he's still eating chunks of it. Even after I've fed him, so I know he's not hungry. Why is he doing this? How do I stop him? Will the clay excavator cause impaction? Help!
LilCheeto
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie eating clay substrate? Help!

Postby Gormagon » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:05 pm

He's doing it because he likes it.
Stopping him is simple, switch to a substrate that cannot be ingested. (rough texture tile, nonadhesive shelf liner, vinyl flooring, paper towels ect....)
It could cause impaction, not sure.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby MarlowAndMe » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Agreed. Swap it for something that’s not loose at all - tile, linoleum, shelf liner etc
MarlowAndMe
Juvie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:30 am

I agree , the clay needs to be removed.

You also need to review your dragon's diet , he's doing this because he's lacking something or he feels sick (some clays will react in the gut to bind toxins or neutralize the gut juices).
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017),Toothless (M)(RIP 26Nov2017).Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) 4y old when rescued 14Nov2017 my little livewire , ubertame, thriving and very happy .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Behavior