Bearded Dragon Cataracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCTON

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and created an account a few minutes ago.

I noticed a few days ago that my beardie's left eye had a very small cloud in it. I didn't really assume the worst until earlier.

To give some background info:
I bought him from Petco on May 1st this year. I'm not entirely sure how old he is but he was a baby. I live in Texas and it became much colder in November, only to have "on/off" days where it would be cold then hot. When it began getting colder I saw Django(my beardie) develop signs of brumation such as sleeping underneath shadows where it's cool all day, not eating so much and etc,. Along the way I noticed that he started becoming more active again when it became incredibly warm around two weeks ago. Just last week it became extremely cold again and he has since developed signs of brumation. I also use the ReptiSun 10.0 UVB tube. I believe the tube was 14 inches away from her basking spot as well as the basking light.

So up to today, she still does not have an appetite whatsoever. She only basks when I bring her out rather than sleeping all day. She also does not move from her basking spot. Her basking light was around 90-92 degrees and I upped it to 95-100 earlier.

Another thing I want to add is that her poop was runny for a while until a few weeks ago. It was pretty much the perfect form up until a few days ago where it was extremely watery, I did give her a lot to drink the day before. The stench was horrifying and it pretty much covered the entire room and more.

If there is any more information you guys need to know I will gladly add them.

So now that's done I will give details on the cataract.
Today I noticed that the cataract has expanded to most of his pupils. I googled searched like crazy to see what I could find, but I came up empty handed. My girlfriend has set an appointment to see a vet on Wednesday(due to my final exams). Could you guys give me any insight on how this may have happened? Or if it's correctable? I read that it might be nutritional deficiency as he has not eaten much, due to my thoughts on his brumation, which means the calcium intake was not good. I also ordered dubia roaches as he does not have an appetite for crickets anymore and refuses to eat them. Does not have an appetite for veggies anymore either. Only thing he is interested in are superworms but I don't want to give that to him as a staple.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how the vet appointment goes on wednesday.
How is he doing toda
The Reptisun 10, is it mounted right beside your basking light also? That is a good bulb so
there shouldn't be any eye issues with that particular one.
If you have pictures, that would be helpful so we can see placement of the lights as well as of
your dragon, too.
Perhaps he just has an eye infection & not the start of a cataract. Does he seem to be able to
see out of the eye? Usually they develop from improper lighting & sometimes nutritional issues.
The weather definitely seems to dictate quite a bit on their moods & appetites, too. The days
should begin to lengthen out after the 21st, which may help out some.
Are the ambient temperatures pretty good in the tank, around 80-85?
If the stool was that smelly it is possible he has parasites that may need to be treated. The vet
should be able to do a fecal exam to determine that for you.
What supplementation are you using?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom