Mounting T5-Ho 24" Hood in a 20 gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

My 7 month old is still in his 20 gal. I'm planning on buying his 40 gal tank in the next couple of weeks, but in the mean time, I bought the T5-Ho hood with reptisun 10.0 t5 and its too much for the little 20 gal. I need to mount it, or suspend it around 12" from the basking spot. The t5 fixture has the power cable on the back, so mounting in on the wall with command strips will be hard. I was thinking of using shelf brackets attached to the wall with command strips and mount the fixture on top, maybe a temporary solution until I get the big tank. What do you guys think?
93594-1984523908.jpg
that is not the hood im trying to mount, I bought this upgrade
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQU8F2O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
the pic is for reference, my beardie is very young in the pic, must be a few months old.

And I want to put it in use but the 20 gal is too small. Any ideas on how to mount it/suspend it above the tank? The hood is for mesh lids, which I don't have, but even if I had it, its too close to the basking spot, and gets the tank way too hot.
Should I keep using the T8 fixture I have until I get the 40 gal tank and then use the T5?
Or any ideas on how to mount the new fixture 12" above the basking spot?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 5.0 bulb that comes with that fixture should be OK for a 20g. The output is similar to a T8. When you move to the 40g just swap the bulb out for a 10.0 or an Arcadia 12%. You can just set the fixture on top of the tank and it should be OK with the bulb adjustment.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay!
Sounds good thank you again Cooper! :)

P.S: Just thought of this, but to any who is reading this worrying about mounting the hood on top of the tank without a mesh lid, I have it secured with command strips. That hood fixture ain't going anywhere. :)
If I was someone new reading this I would think, wait is he just putting the fixture on top of the cage just like that?

Birdie

Hi BeardieSmaug!

I know you posted this a few months ago, but how did you mount it inside?

Thanks for your help!

BeardieSmaug":2ghq7v35 said:
Okay!

P.S: Just thought of this, but to any who is reading this worrying about mounting the hood on top of the tank without a mesh lid, I have it secured with command strips. That hood fixture ain't going anywhere. :)
If I was someone new reading this I would think, wait is he just putting the fixture on top of the cage just like that?

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Birdie":3vpxmtvg said:
Hi BeardieSmaug!

Thanks for your help!

BeardieSmaug":3vpxmtvg said:
Okay!

Hello,

This one I literally just taped it on the back, while the side and back of the hoos was sitting on top of the tank. If that makes sense lol

but I have it like this now:
93594-4549636482.jpg
which I just used L shaped shelf brackets nailed to the wall and just mounting the hood on top.
Hope this makes sense and helps!

Birdie

Yay!!! This is so helpful!!! Thank you!!!!!

BeardieSmaug":3irlr2xl said:
Birdie":3irlr2xl said:
Hi BeardieSmaug!

Thanks for your help!

BeardieSmaug":3irlr2xl said:
Okay!

Hello,

This one I literally just taped it on the back, while the side and back of the hoos was sitting on top of the tank. If that makes sense lol

but I have it like this now:
93594-4549636482.jpg
which I just used L shaped shelf brackets nailed to the wall and just mounting the hood on top.
Hope this makes sense and helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom