Confusions of a new beardie owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RarestDragon

Hatchling Member
See what I did there?

Anyway, I've had Lyrica for three weeks now and I'd like a bit of feedback on my progress as a first time owner of a beardie. Especially since I get more confused as the days go by.

Lyrica is currently 10 weeks old and seems healthy enough. She eats both her bugs and her greens happily it seems. I found that she goes nuts for nectarine. By far the cutest thing she's done is when I offered her a piece of apple(peeled of course) and she didn't know what it was so she did that little lick thing. She leaned back and made a face that was like "Oh! That actually tastes pretty good!" then she scarfed down the apple.

However, I'm confused about her "taming process" for a lack of better words. So far, she doesn't seem to be afraid of me but she doesn't care too much for being held most of the time. She's not aggressive at all. She hasn't hissed, puffed or tried to bite me. Well..she did bite me on accident once but that doesn't count.

She flinches sometimes if I put my hand near her or move around the room. She sometimes backs away from my hand but it doesn't seem to be out of fear. It's more like "Oh, you want me to move boss?" or "Don't want, backing up." She's never run from me, either. The only time I've seen her run and hide is when I went into my closet. Why she's afraid of me going into my closet, I'll never know.

When I pick her up she'll try to back out of my hand half of the time. Not in a panicked way, just trying to back out of my hand. When I bring her out, there are times when she'll just sit and listen to me talk to her while tilting her head like a dog. Other times she'll just try to crawl back onto the desk to try and make it back to her terrarium. Again, she's not making a dash for it out of fear or anything, just trying to walk back in. I don't take her out for more than a few minutes at a time and I do it two or three times a day.

When I try to pet her, sometimes she'll flinch away like she doesn't want it. Then other times she'll close her eyes and seems to enjoy it. I could have sworn she tilted her head up into my finger a few times.

Then there were a few times where she wouldn't leave my hand. I often have to pick her up for reasons other than cuddles and on occasion she just won't leave my hand, even though she wasn't exactly eager to be picked up in the first place. I'll hold her next to her basking log for her to climb off but she just looks up at me and stays still. She even tried to nap on my hand after a full minute of waiting. My response was "Oh, no. You're not doing this to me." so I gently tried settling her back down onto her log and she tried to climb back up on my hand. When I finally set her down onto her log she just watched me, giving me this face like she was annoyed. She's done this maybe four or five times.

She'll also eagerly accept food from my hand.

Then there are days where she does this.

90684-975825154.jpg

90684-7623575069.jpg

She'll just sit there with the terrarium door wide open and watch me type on the computer like she's doing right now. Those pics aren't even ten minutes old. She even took a short nap on me today for the first time. I'm trying to remember that she is still a baby at only two and a half months old but she confuses me a lot.

I guess my question is this: Am I doing well? And more importantly, is all of this normal?

I'm guessing this is just the beginning of being a beardie mom. :lol:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Actually the behavior sounds pretty typical, especially for that particular age. They are usually
nervous when they are younger. Some like to be held more than others at that age. Since you
are spending a lot of time with her, she will most likely tame down pretty easily.
I would continue interacting with her as you are doing now. She will eventually get used to it &
want more attention.
Keep handling her daily, spending time with her & she will gradually come around. You can try
to find her favorite food & handfeed some to her, that always helps with bonding.

Tracie

Apolla

Don't worry, you're doing well. I think all of us go through that "do they like me??" phase. (Lord knows I cried enough to my mother, "I don't think Boga likes me!" when I first got her.) Just keep doing what you're doing, eventually you guys will find what works best in terms of snuggling/play.

RarestDragon":3sfhjta5 said:
See what I did there?

Anyway, I've had Lyrica for three weeks now and I'd like a bit of feedback on my progress as a first time owner of a beardie. Especially since I get more confused as the days go by.

Lyrica is currently 10 weeks old and seems healthy enough. She eats both her bugs and her greens happily it seems. I found that she goes nuts for nectarine. By far the cutest thing she's done is when I offered her a piece of apple(peeled of course) and she didn't know what it was so she did that little lick thing. She leaned back and made a face that was like "Oh! That actually tastes pretty good!" then she scarfed down the apple.

However, I'm confused about her "taming process" for a lack of better words. So far, she doesn't seem to be afraid of me but she doesn't care too much for being held most of the time. She's not aggressive at all. She hasn't hissed, puffed or tried to bite me. Well..she did bite me on accident once but that doesn't count.

She flinches sometimes if I put my hand near her or move around the room. She sometimes backs away from my hand but it doesn't seem to be out of fear. It's more like "Oh, you want me to move boss?" or "Don't want, backing up." She's never run from me, either. The only time I've seen her run and hide is when I went into my closet. Why she's afraid of me going into my closet, I'll never know.

When I pick her up she'll try to back out of my hand half of the time. Not in a panicked way, just trying to back out of my hand. When I bring her out, there are times when she'll just sit and listen to me talk to her while tilting her head like a dog. Other times she'll just try to crawl back onto the desk to try and make it back to her terrarium. Again, she's not making a dash for it out of fear or anything, just trying to walk back in. I don't take her out for more than a few minutes at a time and I do it two or three times a day.

When I try to pet her, sometimes she'll flinch away like she doesn't want it. Then other times she'll close her eyes and seems to enjoy it. I could have sworn she tilted her head up into my finger a few times.

Then there were a few times where she wouldn't leave my hand. I often have to pick her up for reasons other than cuddles and on occasion she just won't leave my hand, even though she wasn't exactly eager to be picked up in the first place. I'll hold her next to her basking log for her to climb off but she just looks up at me and stays still. She even tried to nap on my hand after a full minute of waiting. My response was "Oh, no. You're not doing this to me." so I gently tried settling her back down onto her log and she tried to climb back up on my hand. When I finally set her down onto her log she just watched me, giving me this face like she was annoyed. She's done this maybe four or five times.

She'll also eagerly accept food from my hand.

Then there are days where she does this.

90684-975825154.jpg

90684-7623575069.jpg

She'll just sit there with the terrarium door wide open and watch me type on the computer like she's doing right now. Those pics aren't even ten minutes old. She even took a short nap on me today for the first time. I'm trying to remember that she is still a baby at only two and a half months old but she confuses me a lot.

I guess my question is this: Am I doing well? And more importantly, is all of this normal?

I'm guessing this is just the beginning of being a beardie mom. :lol:

Hi! Curious on how things are going with Lyrica now... We have a 10 week old baby and have had him for a month. Every time we take him out, we’ll sit on the floor and he’ll stay on my son’s leg for a few minutes, and then observe the room and almost plot in his mind how to get back to his tank. Then he’ll start making his way back... one time he jumped up onto the bed and I quickly grabbed him because he was about to go off the other side and I obviously scared him because he puffed his beard and opened his mouth. He didn’t seem to like being out and since that happened, we’ve eased back into taking him out so he trusts us. Anyway, just hopeful you and Lyrica found your groove. Any advice would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom