120 Gallon Tank - UV Lighting and Other

Status
Not open for further replies.
SIx months ago my wife purchased a bearded dragon and a 20 gallon tank. She has used a dual Zoo Med Mini Deep Dome Lamp Fixture with light and UV bulbs. Last week she replaced both after six months of use.

Yesterday she purchased a 120 gallon tank - four feet long, two feet wide and two feet high. It was installed with a regular fluorescent light ballast (no hood) and two regular light sockets. The previous owner used a regular fluorescent bulb, one 100 watt Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp and one ceramic heat lamp.

However the lights aren't working. Now I enter the picture needing to understand what I need to buy in order to fix it and other bearded dragon concepts.

1) I was thinking of getting a Zoo Med ReptiSun Terrarium Hood 30-Inch or 36-inch with a 10.0 UVB Bulb to replace the current fluorescent fixture. Thoughts?

2) Can I just replace the light sockets and then screw in a 100 or 150 watt Zoo Med Basking Spot Lamp and a ceramic heat lamp? Is it necessary to have a reflector dome?

3) I have read the basking temperature needs to be between 100 and 110 degrees. What about the other end of the tank?

4) The new terrarium's flooring is tile. I was thinking of getting a reptile carpet to go on top of it like in the current terrarium. Thoughts?

5) My wife heard that she should rotate calcium powder with a vitamin supplement, meaning calcium powder every other day. Thoughts?

Thank you for your help and patience with me,
trevor

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Trevor,

1) You could use either 30 or 36 ", Reptisun 10.0 t5 will be a stronger bulb than a t8.

2] You could use store bought incandescent/halogen bulbs for heat after you replace the sockets, no reflector required.

3) Cool end around 75-80

4) Carpet is very hard to keep clean. Non adhesive shelf liner can work, or just the tile. I don't like tile myself, it's not natural although many people claim it to be but it's like them living on a cement floor , would be hard on the joints over time. But, as long as there are a lot of climbing + basking areas it should be fine.

5) Both powders used VERY lightly. Calcium 2-3X a week, vit. 1-2.

trevorintexas

Original Poster
Thank you for responding. I have bought a 36" Repitsun T5 hood and a 10.0 UVB Bulb on Amazon. We'll keep the bearded dragon in the current terrarium until everything is installed and working.

1) What specifically do you use for terrarium flooring? I see several non-adhesive shelf liners to choose from.

2) My wife has bought calcium powder, but doesn't know which vitamin powder to get since things like Herptivite Multivamin has calcium already in it. What do you use?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Reptisun T5 is a great bulb, he should love that!
That is a terrific sized tank, wow, if all were that lucky. :D
Good luck getting it all set up!

Tracie

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Drache613":2crswr1s said:
Hello,

The Reptisun T5 is a great bulb, he should love that!
That is a terrific sized tank, wow, if all were that lucky. :D
Good luck getting it all set up!

Tracie
That's the size an adult beardie should have... that's what I have for my juvy (currently 18 inches) and it is wonderful - you do not have to compromise anything with it. Temps and terrain are great. I got it for $270 with free shipping from Zen Habitats - front access. Many other sites sell them as well.

Please look into it for your beardie, it will thank you.

trevorintexas

Original Poster
AHBD":2basmjtk said:
Both powders used VERY lightly. Calcium 2-3X a week, vit. 1-2.

When you say "very lightly" ... how much do you mean - a teaspoon?

For a seventh month old, do you recommend calcium two or three times a week? Vitamins once or twice a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom