Twisted/ Turned spine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKnEmber

Hello all! I’m a new bearded dragon owner and this forum has been very helpful to me with making sure I have the right set ups even when the vets were not *sigh*
I have a 4mo old beardie , my first ever, and everything was fine until Nov 3rd. We are thinking he might have fallen in his enclosure and injured himself, it’s been down hill ever since. I have taken him to multiple vets, and at this time, he gets calcium 2x daily, antibiotics for a bone infection, dusted calcium +D3 with every meal, he’s had 2 D3 injections since the date above, and I have recently changed his UVB to the fluorescent tube from the coil (all the vets said the coil was fine, and we’ve gone almost every week now). We believe he has 2 things going on MBD, and an infection. The concern is his lower spine is turned inward and curved, so he doesn’t use his back legs. My friends and family say I should put him down, however he’s eating, he’s moving around and looking, and his beard and tummy are white and creamy (no stress lines) I’m concerned for quality of life, and any advice I can get would be so so helpful!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post some pics ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload

Post pics of your dragon as well as the set up. It may be that the damage began before you replaced the uvb bulb and extra calcium + D3 but has continued to get worse. As long as he's active + eating there's no reason to put him down.

DKnEmber

Original Poster
102360-9015631228.jpg

So that’s my baby. Yes I believe it got worse before we changed the set up, (18in high tank, 150w reptisun heat bulb, and reptisun 10.0 HO 22” Florescent UVB, temps are at 100 basking, and 84 cool side) everything was removed because he was flipping on his back at one point and I was told he could die that way. I just want to know if there’s a chance he could get use of his legs? And if the twisting could be cause if impactions.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Ah, what a little sweetie. :) Your lighting is all good new. So are you asking if the twisted spine is FROM impaction [ yes it can be, straining to poo with weak bones that bent ] or if it's causing impaction now ?

DKnEmber

Original Poster
I am wondering if the twisting could cause future impactions, and if he can regain use of his legs at some point? And what should I look out for in the future so it doesn’t happen again? (I also have another beardie and she/he is doing just fine)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It possibly could so just to be safe, always feed him insects that are just slightly smaller than is generally recommended for his size. And we can't say for sure either way about his leg function. Possibly regain a bit more mobility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom