UVB Help For Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdie

Hi All!

I’m a new beardie owner, and have had our little guy, Franklin, for two days now. We currently have the lighting set up that comes with the 40-gal ZooMed “starter” package. Basically it’s a dual lamp (a coil UVB, which I now realize is junk, and a 100watt basking bulb, which I’ve upgraded to 150watts). I also was advised to get a night time red lamp, which I’m now quite concerned about.

My first question regards the UVB lamp. I’m ready to purchase the Arcadia 12% situation, as recommended by CooperDragon (http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/).

I’m just concerned about proximity to the highest basking point in our beardies tank. If the Arcadia lamp + fixture sits on top of the screen, it will likely only by 6-8 inches from where our dragon likes to bask. Would this be too close? I’m not sure how we would get it higher to the suggested 10-12 inches...

Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks so much for helping me out!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Birdie":10grwsnu said:
Hi All!

I’m a new beardie owner, and have had our little guy, Franklin, for two days now. We currently have the lighting set up that comes with the 40-gal ZooMed “starter” package. Basically it’s a dual lamp (a coil UVB, which I now realize is junk, and a 100watt basking bulb, which I’ve upgraded to 150watts). I also was advised to get a night time red lamp, which I’m now quite concerned about.

My first question regards the UVB lamp. I’m ready to purchase the Arcadia 12% situation, as recommended by CooperDragon (http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/).
I’m just concerned about proximity to the highest basking point in our beardies tank. If the Arcadia lamp + fixture sits on top of the screen, it will likely only by 6-8 inches from where our dragon likes to bask. Would this be too close? I’m not sure how we would get it higher to the suggested 10-12 inches...

Anyone have any thoughts??
<<< ontop a mesh (fine mesh screen) is not ideal, will block about 45% of the UV, so if this the case, your 12% UVB tube in a reflector hood on top the mesh lid will provide sufficient UVA & UVB if the basking spot is about 6" from the tube.

Thanks so much for helping me out!!

Birdie

Original Poster
Thanks Kingofnobbys.

The bulb + fixture in the link I posted above is described as being reflective. It is also described as allowing more UVB rays through. If you have any additional thoughts or suggestions, I’d love to hear them. I really want to get this right!

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I’m just switching to a t5 12% Arcadia myself and I’ve asked a million questions about it haha! I too want to get it right!
How fine is the mesh? Most mesh blocks 30% of uvb so you have your basking spot 30% closer ( so instead of 12” away you’d put basking spot 8” away ) , really really fine mesh can block up to 45% of the uvb so you would make basking around 6-7” away

It’s best to get it in the viv if you can because then not only does the basking spot get the right Level of uvb at basking spot but the floor still gets good uvb levels too
My advice is to move the basking spot. I didn’t want to with mine either as he loves a particular branch but I’m going to because the best uvb is so important.

If you get a t5 12% half the length of your vivarium - mount it inside in a good reflector - create a basking spot 12” away - then that would be ideal.
Then if it’s a particular item your beardie likes that you are worried about taking away just put that in the cool end where it’s not under the t5 :) that end you can build up without height restrictions and just keep the warm end decor no closer than the 12” away

Birdie

Original Poster
Hi MarlowAndMe!

Thanks for your reply. I’m concerned about mounting it under the mesh because it appears you wouldn’t be able to close the mesh top with the cord of the fixture running over the top of the tank....? Right? I’m concerned about how to actually put the slide the screen top back on if I have the fixture under it. Does that make sense?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MarlowAndMe":3at6utgx said:
I’m just switching to a t5 12% Arcadia myself and I’ve asked a million questions about it haha! I too want to get it right!
How fine is the mesh? Most mesh blocks 30% of uvb so you have your basking spot 30% closer ( so instead of 12” away you’d put basking spot 8” away ) , really really fine mesh can block up to 45% of the uvb so you would make basking around 6-7” away

For more information on effect of different grades / types (weaves) of mesh on UV allowed through see this : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611
and this viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235210&p=1809330#p1809330

It’s best to get it in the viv if you can because then not only does the basking spot get the right Level of uvb at basking spot but the floor still gets good uvb levels too
My advice is to move the basking spot. I didn’t want to with mine either as he loves a particular branch but I’m going to because the best uvb is so important.

If you get a t5 12% half the length of your vivarium - mount it inside in a good reflector - create a basking spot 12” away - then that would be ideal.
Then if it’s a particular item your beardie likes that you are worried about taking away just put that in the cool end where it’s not under the t5 :) that end you can build up without height restrictions and just keep the warm end decor no closer than the 12” away

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Hmm I see , I’m not familiar with vivs that have slide off tops
Hopefully someone else can give you some insight on how to mount it in one with the slide off top as I’m sure there will be others here would have faced this :)

Birdie

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":22zh1btf said:
MarlowAndMe":22zh1btf said:
For more information on effect of different grades / types (weaves) of mesh on UV allowed through see this : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Thanks for this link. This is....quite a lot of information to digest.

Can you help me understand something on this chart:

102336-5003358652.jpg

Thanks for all of your advice! I think you’ve probably sold me on trying to mount under the mesh. Just trying to figure out how far away the lamp has to actually be from the basking spot.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Birdie":39izl78n said:
kingofnobbys":39izl78n said:
MarlowAndMe":39izl78n said:

Thanks for this link. This is....quite a lot of information to digest.

Can you help me understand something on this chart:

102336-5003358652.jpg

Thanks for all of your advice! I think you’ve probably sold me on trying to mount under the mesh. Just trying to figure out how far away the lamp has to actually be from the basking spot.

The highlighted UVB are the recommended levels of UVB flux at the basking spot in microW / sqr.cm (high reading) and at the floor of the viv (low reading).

Birdie

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":7y8zxge9 said:
The highlighted UVB are the recommended levels of UVB flux at the basking spot in microW / sqr.cm (high reading) and at the floor of the viv (low reading).

OK.

Boy, I wish this were easier to understand. I just need to know if I have a tank that is 36x18x18, and the basking is 3-4 inches from the top of the tank (I said 6-8inches in a prior post but I was wrong, it’s closer), will I be good leaving the Arcadia 12% with a good reflector hood fixture on top of the mesh.

Sorry to seem dumb. I’m brand new at bearded dragons and am trying to take in a lot of new information. This, plus dealing with a little guy who seems to be a bit stressed, isn’t eating enough, etc....it’s been a steep learning curve and slightly overwhelming.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I can only tell you what I have learnt here as I have not done any testing at all and wouldn’t even attempt to as I’m a newbie to all of this .
Either way you will need to move that basking spot. If you have standard mesh on top you will be blocking 30% of the uvb so will need the basking spot 30% closer than the recommended 12” = you need basking spot about 8” from the t5
But you’ll also be reducing the amount of uvb at the floor which is not so good

If you have really fine mesh you’ll be blocking up 45% of uvb so you’ll need it 45% closer = so 6.5” away from t5
But you’ll be even further reducing the amount of uvb at the floor which is not good

You cannot have it 3-4” away though as that’s far too close to a t5 - well even ANY uvb tube at all

If you mount it under the mesh you’ll need basking spot 12” away. But you’ll get the right levels of uvb then at both basking spot AND the needed floor levels too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom