Beardie has URI symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
My beardie is almost 2 years old. Over the past few weeks she has been doing a forced exhale type thing and a swallowing clicking noise. I hear no breathing problems. I’ve heard her to my ear and hear nothing. I’m scared it’s a URI. She’s pooping normal, eating her feeders normal and still eating some greens. She’s not completely lethargic but there are days where she doesn’t want to run around but it is very cold in Seattle. I got her a che for night time that has been keeping her at 80 at night.

Her set up: 150w heat lamp, Zilla tube uvb, 40 gal tank, I have a digital thermometer to check temps. She has been trying to stay on the colder side which is 89 degrees. Her basking temp is 90-100

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Hopefully, it isn't a respiratory infection.
For now, I would bump up the basking temperatures to a little higher range to 90-105F right now
to see if that helps out. I know she isn't basking but maybe it will still benefit her. Definitely stick
with using the ceramic heat emitter for keeping the overnight temperatures good for her.
The Zilla tube, which one is that one? Those are not my favorite, since they really are not very
good quality for UVB output. How close is it to her?
The Reptisun 10 T5 or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube bulbs are much better. If you have an
opportunity to upgrade, I would recommend it.
She could also be contemplating brumation too but if you suspect a respiratory infection at the
moment, try to encourage her to sit under her light more. It might warrant a vet's visit also, if you
hear a lot of clicking/popping noises, see any off colored thicker mucous on or around the mouth
& nose, or she starts wheezing or coughing.
If she is still eating some, that is a good sign. How is her weight?

Tracie

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
My advice would be to see a vet sooner than later if possible. I just went through something similar. My dragon was only making puffing sounds with his lips when he ate. This went on for about two weeks, and then he showed the slightest lip gloss clear mucus to the sides of his mouth on a Monday. Got him in to see a vet on the Wednesday and he had full blown pneumonia.

He was not lethargic, was eating very well, did not lose weight, did not have discharge from nose or mouth, was not blowing bubbles, was not coughing or wheezing, and did not make any clicking, popping sounds until the Wednesday when I took him to the vet.

I do not want to scare you, but I have learned that my dragons do not show many symptoms at all when in fact they were very sick. I agree with Tracie 100% bumping up the basking and overnight temps is very helpful. My little guy seems to suffer with less symptoms with the extra heat for sure.

One other weird symptom. My dragon had taken to sleeping standing up or in a more upright position. All beardies do this in normal circumstances we have all seen the pics, and so I thought nothing of it. Now of course, I realize that he was doing this as he was having trouble getting air. Any subtle changes at all are worth a second look.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any news or updates on your dragon for us? I hope she is improving. I agree, especially if she is
still having any type of symptoms, a vet visit would definitely not hurt. It could just put your mind
to rest.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":z90b49t8 said:
Hello,

Any news or updates on your dragon for us? I hope she is improving. I agree, especially if she is
still having any type of symptoms, a vet visit would definitely not hurt. It could just put your mind
to rest.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie
No, nothing has changed. She’s eating her greens a bit more. She’s just lethargic. She just stands there when I do have her out. The clicking is still happening but not as often as two days ago. I’ve made sure the heat in my room is always on so I doesn’t get colder than 80 on her cold side and 100 on her basking spot.
I’m going to bring a fecal sample in as well just to get everything checked out Saturday.

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
bayoupig5":5yvsv1cb said:
My advice would be to see a vet sooner than later if possible. I just went through something similar. My dragon was only making puffing sounds with his lips when he ate. This went on for about two weeks, and then he showed the slightest lip gloss clear mucus to the sides of his mouth on a Monday. Got him in to see a vet on the Wednesday and he had full blown pneumonia.

He was not lethargic, was eating very well, did not lose weight, did not have discharge from nose or mouth, was not blowing bubbles, was not coughing or wheezing, and did not make any clicking, popping sounds until the Wednesday when I took him to the vet.

I do not want to scare you, but I have learned that my dragons do not show many symptoms at all when in fact they were very sick. I agree with Tracie 100% bumping up the basking and overnight temps is very helpful. My little guy seems to suffer with less symptoms with the extra heat for sure.

One other weird symptom. My dragon had taken to sleeping standing up or in a more upright position. All beardies do this in normal circumstances we have all seen the pics, and so I thought nothing of it. Now of course, I realize that he was doing this as he was having trouble getting air. Any subtle changes at all are worth a second look.

I have an appointment Saturday. Yea she only had those two symptoms. She’s eating just fine and has the energy to launch herself at worms. She’s eating her greens when I hand feed her or later in the day on her own lol i rescued her and she never had veggies until now so it’s very new for her. I’ve had her since September I believe.
I’m planning to bring a fecal sample in to rule out everything.
It’s so scary owning a beardie for the first time. I have so many worries about every little new sound she makes.
If she does have a uri could it be because of her tank? I though I was doing everything right. When winter came it did get cold in my room but we changed to a Che and that helped her a lot.

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
bayoupig5":1u1c0dv0 said:

Sorry one more question. How do they test for it?

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Your guess is as good as mine in regard to how your dragon got it. I have had dragons 10 years and never experienced anything. Then this year blew apart with dragon care. I have my temps monitored all the time. I have humidity monitored all the time and it ranges from 30 to 37 percent. So temps are right...humidity is right. UVB is right. The vivs are clean and disinfected. Poop is removed ASAP. Heat has been on in that room since mid October (I live in British Columbia) and he still got sick. I have no idea how he got it. Wished I knew. In terms of tests, my vet physically inspected him, looked down his throat and could see mucus. However, she verified pneumonia with an x-ray. She was worried that there may be a tumor. She told me he may not make it when she saw the lungs. Like I said earlier there really wasn' t much in terms of symptoms. Of course, I am not saying or predicting this would be the same for yours. My guy is hanging on. There were a few scary days in between and although he is not 100 percent. 2 weeks down the road I think he is getting better.

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
bayoupig5":2mqc67nn said:
Your guess is as good as mine in regard to how your dragon got it. I have had dragons 10 years and never experienced anything. Then this year blew apart with dragon care. I have my temps monitored all the time. I have humidity monitored all the time and it ranges from 30 to 37 percent. So temps are right...humidity is right. UVB is right. The vivs are clean and disinfected. Poop is removed ASAP. Heat has been on in that room since mid October (I live in British Columbia) and he still got sick. I have no idea how he got it. Wished I knew. In terms of tests, my vet physically inspected him, looked down his throat and could see mucus. However, she verified pneumonia with an x-ray. She was worried that there may be a tumor. She told me he may not make it when she saw the lungs. Like I said earlier there really wasn' t much in terms of symptoms. Of course, I am not saying or predicting this would be the same for yours. My guy is hanging on. There were a few scary days in between and although he is not 100 percent. 2 weeks down the road I think he is getting better.

So we just got out of the vet. The vet said I’m worrying too much and that she looks healthy and alert. That still doesn’t explain the clicking or the forced exhaling she’s been doing. I don’t know :/ maybe I am worrying too much but I’d rather worry to much than not enough

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Hmm...well you are right that it does not explain the clicking or breathing. What did the vet say about it if anything at all?

I do not think you are worried too much. I was not worried about my pneumonia dragon assuming by all symptoms, he had a mild URI. Being vigilent and aware is an important part of reptile ownership.

Well I guess if the vet did not find anything of concern that is great news. Wonderful news in fact. I know how hard it is to worry and look after not just one...but my two sick dragons. I am really happy to hear the vet felt all was well.

I would keep a watch...make sure she is eating well, keep the temps up through the Winter, and take weekly weights. Bearded dragon weights will fluctuate up and down quite a bit. Both my females seem to fluctuate more than the male. But if you notice more weight going down than up that can be an early sign of illness.

And for now just relax and enjoy her. Sounds like she will be fine.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
How is her appetite doing this afternoon, has she eaten pretty well, I hope?
Just be sure she stays warm enough over night, around 80 or so in case she may have a
respiratory issue of some type.
They verify respiratory infections usually by way of x-rays, or listening to their breathing, too.
Also they can do a mouth swab, to test for various types of bacteria, to be sure nothing is being
missed.

Tracie

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":339867sl said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing today?
How is her appetite doing this afternoon, has she eaten pretty well, I hope?
Just be sure she stays warm enough over night, around 80 or so in case she may have a
respiratory issue of some type.
They verify respiratory infections usually by way of x-rays, or listening to their breathing, too.
Also they can do a mouth swab, to test for various types of bacteria, to be sure nothing is being
missed.

Tracie

Her appetite is great, we went to the vet today and the vet said she couldn’t hear anything in her lungs and checked her mouth. I’m going to get blood work done I think soon. The vet said she’s fine but it doesn’t explain the clicking or forced exhaling. I’ve kept her temps high and the heater on in my room when she is out.

Brittneesmile

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
bayoupig5":sqytbvr1 said:
Hmm...well you are right that it does not explain the clicking or breathing. What did the vet say about it if anything at all?

I do not think you are worried too much. I was not worried about my pneumonia dragon assuming by all symptoms, he had a mild URI. Being vigilent and aware is an important part of reptile ownership.

Well I guess if the vet did not find anything of concern that is great news. Wonderful news in fact. I know how hard it is to worry and look after not just one...but my two sick dragons. I am really happy to hear the vet felt all was well.

I would keep a watch...make sure she is eating well, keep the temps up through the Winter, and take weekly weights. Bearded dragon weights will fluctuate up and down quite a bit. Both my females seem to fluctuate more than the male. But if you notice more weight going down than up that can be an early sign of illness.

And for now just relax and enjoy her. Sounds like she will be fine.

Tonight when I was letting her fall asleep on me she was doing the clicking a lot and shot her head up and force exhaled..
I think going to go back and get an X-ray or blood work. I don’t know. I can’t think of a reason other that uri that she is doing this

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I posted on your other thread, too. Do you want me to merge your threads?
I think you should either take her back to that particular vet, or try to get a second opinion
from another vet if you can find one.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom