Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Hello All:

I was just wondering whose beardie in her goes into brumation or brumation-esq behavior in the winter time. I think my Tampico is going through it, so I just wanted to know what types of behavior and such you've witnessed from your bruming beardie.

Thanks for any insight!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My guy has been brumating since September. He got sleepy and hides a lot during the day. Some days he will wake up and eat a very little bit and run around but it tends to be a shorter day than normal and he'll run out of energy by afternoon. Other days he just sleeps all day. His weight is maintained. His appetite is very low and he poops much less frequently. Based on what I saw last year, he will start to stay up later and later and then become very energetic and stay up well past lights out fairly regularly. His appetite won't increase until after the super active period and then he'll be back to normal by springtime.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":hk5cbppn said:
My guy has been brumating since September. He got sleepy and hides a lot during the day. Some days he will wake up and eat a very little bit and run around but it tends to be a shorter day than normal and he'll run out of energy by afternoon. Other days he just sleeps all day. His weight is maintained. His appetite is very low and he poops much less frequently. Based on what I saw last year, he will start to stay up later and later and then become very energetic and stay up well past lights out fairly regularly. His appetite won't increase until after the super active period and then he'll be back to normal by springtime.

That sounds exactly like my little girl. She eats some days... Some days not. Sometimes runs around in the morning, but goes and lies on her branch for the rest of the day. Just kinda existing until it's time for her to be alert and active again.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Mystic has been brumating about a week at a time. He was up all day & chilling out on the couch. Tomorrow I will get him up for some grub pie & a little exercise. He has been eyeing the Christmas tree. Maybe he will find his spot.
83443-72113728.jpg

My beardie has also been in brumation since mid-september, but she's completly out if it. She hasn't woken up or moved once since she fell asleep, even when I moved her to her new enclosure. I check on her daily but even when i gently pet her to get a sign of life she doesn't wake up.

I miss her a lot lol, but if you want more information, PansyPan on youtube has videos about brumation that helped me figure this whole thing out. Even if I keep stressing.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Original Poster
DuchesseTheBeardie":1745ox5d said:
My beardie has also been in brumation since mid-september, but she's completly out if it. She hasn't woken up or moved once since she fell asleep, even when I moved her to her new enclosure. I check on her daily but even when i gently pet her to get a sign of life she doesn't wake up.

I miss her a lot lol, but if you want more information, PansyPan on youtube has videos about brumation that helped me figure this whole thing out. Even if I keep stressing.

Oh wow. I would totally miss my little one. How do you deal with her tank lighting while she's brumating? Do you keep the lights on for the heat or do you use a CHE for the warmth? My girl goes in between if being out of it. Does active one week, but not for long, then a little bum the next, doing nothing but lying on her branch and watching me whenever I'm home. I'm not sure if I should turn her head lamp off so she can sleep more though. Thoughts?

vrenee1018":j81e5tvr said:
Oh wow. I would totally miss my little one. How do you deal with her tank lighting while she's brumating? Do you keep the lights on for the heat or do you use a CHE for the warmth? My girl goes in between if being out of it. Does active one week, but not for long, then a little bum the next, doing nothing but lying on her branch and watching me whenever I'm home. I'm not sure if I should turn her head lamp off so she can sleep more though. Thoughts?

Since it's really cold right now in Canada, I only kept a CHE on to keep the temperature in her tank from dropping too low. All other lights are off - she didn't have any use of the UVB while covered and the heat lamp would just have keep her more awake. I did check on her daily just to make sure all is well. Something that was suggested to me that I didn't do was regular check up of her weight, make sure she didn't lose too much while sleeping.

nick9100

I think also my dragon is in brumation. He’s lying in a cave all day, but some days he walkes out to eat/poop. Shortly after he goes back indside.
It’s the first time he does this so I’m really worried ? Every time I look to him (trough a little hole) he is awake, but if he is awake why is he not coming out? And should I still offer him food when he walkes out?
Hope some on can answar my questions :)

nick9100":v3i7unth said:
I think also my dragon is in brumation. He’s lying in a cave all day, but some days he walkes out to eat/poop. Shortly after he goes back indside.
It’s the first time he does this so I’m really worried ? Every time I look to him (trough a little hole) he is awake, but if he is awake why is he not coming out? And should I still offer him food when he walkes out?
Hope some on can answar my questions :)

It may be the firsy signs of brumation. If he wants to eat keep offering food, but always make sure he poops after eating, just to make sure it doesn't rot in stomach.

As for making sure, the blanket test for me is one good indication she is preparing to go under. If I put the blanket on her and she is sleeping next time I check I'll begin to lower her temperature. Always do a stool check just to make sure.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Original Poster
DuchesseTheBeardie":3jyr1jip said:
vrenee1018":3jyr1jip said:

Since it's really cold right now in Canada, I only kept a CHE on to keep the temperature in her tank from dropping too low. All other lights are off - she didn't have any use of the UVB while covered and the heat lamp would just have keep her more awake. I did check on her daily just to make sure all is well. Something that was suggested to me that I didn't do was regular check up of her weight, make sure she didn't lose too much while sleeping.

She still eats and I'm really trying to get her to go to the bathroom before she starts her full brumation. As of now, she wakes and eats most days, then lies on her branch the rest of the day to sleep or try to sleep. I still have her lights on so she'll go to the bathroom. So far, nothing yet. I feel bad because I think she really wants to sleep most of the days, but I'm trying to keep her awake so she'll go to the bathroom and not let the food rot in her tummy. I just bought her some hornworms, so hopefully that'll help her system along. I do miss her though :(

It’s the hardest part. You could try giving her a luckwarm bath to get her system going. But before your really do let her go under, I suggest the stool sample to be done. Just to make sure she hasn’t got any bacteria in her that could put her at risk. Although if she’s health You I wouldn’t worry too much.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay, it's been day number 4 of full brumation. She has been under a blanket and has been sleeping for 4 days straight. I check on her daily to make sure she's still alive and well and she looks as happy as a clam just sleeping on her hammock all comfy and cozy like. Sometimes she opens her eyes when I check on her. "Mom, go away," is what I'm sure she's thinking when I "disturb" her. I sure do miss her though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom