swallowing food

Status
Not open for further replies.
little concerned because ive read so much about feeding insects smaller then between the eyes and ive noticed that after a feeding my girls throat is always swelled and seems to be full of food, i assume after eating shes slowly swallowing it because it kinda deflates and then is back to normal in a couple minutes, but it doesnt seem right to me. wouldnt that defeat the purpose of feeding smaller then between the eyes if its in a big chunk in her throat? is this how they eat or is she still figuring out how to swallow correctly? shes about 3 months old and ive had her a month, shes always done this since i got her.

BeardedMabel

Original Poster
she eats about 30 bugs a sitting 2 times a day or three if i see her messing with her feeding tub, its a mix of dubia and crickets with usually more dubia. i provide them all at once in her tub and she gobbles them up pretty fast, should i only be giving her a couple at a time? is she just eating too fast?

I wish I could help you but I have a similar problem and I'm looking for answers. If she eats well and isn't loosing weight then I suppose there isn't a problem. Maybe she just takes her time to swallow all the food.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes they do sometimes swallow food so quickly that it seems to bulge their throat. Dubias tend to have more roundness/bulk to them so it may be that they're just slightly large for him but as long as he's digesting everything it should be fine. If you're worried though, you can try dubias that are a bit smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom