How I Became Mama Pancake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'll start off with saying I never owned a beardie or ever wanted to until recently. This will be a pretty long story about how I ended up with my poor little Sir Pancake.
My brother and his girlfriend moved in with me about three months ago. Along with them came a bearded dragon named Toothless. They've had him for a little over four years and took him off the hands of a friend when he was about a year and a half. So he's probably around 6 now. He was very very small for his age with they took him in, about half the size he should have been. The friend only fed him iceberg lettuce and a cricket here or there as he grew. So poor little Toothless had a rough start at life. When my brother took him in they got him to grow twice the size with a lot more crickets and care. But over the years less and less care was given. Unfornately Toothless was right back where he started, eating only romain lettuce this time and crickets here or there.
Him being in the living room I started to notice he would get fed only when someone remembered, sometimes twice a week, and again only lettuce. So I started grabbing the lettuce and feeding him every morning. The lettuce would run out and my brother would take days to buy more. Recently it ran out again and I went to buy it myself. They were out of romain so I looked up what else he could eat. I then stood in the produce section for a good half hour on my phone realizing just how bad this little dude had it. Shocked I grabbed collard greens, zucchini, blue berries, kale, and bell peppers (each color) I may have gone a bit over board but I felt the need to make up for everything he should have been eating for 6 plus years. After about a week with his new food he has decided he doesn't like zucchini, kale or any any bell pepper thats not red (loooves the red ones)
Well my bro and his girlfriend noticed how much care I was putting in and simply asked, "Do you want him?" And now here I am a mother of a dragon lol he is reborn with a second chance at life with the name Sir Pancake. We have a long way to go, getting his tank setup more properly, starting a dubia roach colony under it, and being handled. He was barely ever held and gets a bit black when I touch him. I will be asking some questions soon but for now he'll be way better off then he's ever been. I have no idea how he's alive or if he'll live a long life due to terrible care. I want to get him into the veterinarian for wellness check up once things settle down and money is better. I'll leave a few pictures of him.
102259-719309524.jpg

I love this story! Totally made my day! Good for you for noticing the lack of care and stepping up to the plate ... You're wonderful for doing that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom