EMERGENCY: BEARDIE HAVING SEIZURES !! IMMEDIATE HELP NEEDED

Status
Not open for further replies.
EMERGENCY HELP PLEASE NEEDED!

My adult bearded dragon has been acting very normally for the past few months, but suddenly the other day he started opening his mouth very aggressively. We thought it was only because of the heat or he was agitated by something.

HOWEVER, 2 days ago, he started opening his mouth and wouldn't stop. His mouth then started opening up really wide, his beard puffed up, and his head started going up towards the sky. His entire body was like stone and he held that position for a solid 10 minutes.

I do not know what is going on, and we are trying to contact a vet, but we are very scared for him.

He used to have some calcium deficiency, but we gave him supplements and we had thought he was okay.

He was now not super active, and he closes his eyes for a large amount of time, whilst usually he is very active.

PLEASE HELP US IMMEDIATELY AS TO WHAT OUR NEXT STEPS SHOULD BE TO SAVE OUR BABY!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Simply based on your description, he has a very severe calcium deficiency. Are you using any
type of UVB lighting for him, along with the calcium supplementation also?
I highly recommend trying to get him in to see a vet.
Please review your tank setup with us, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation, the
temperatures, foods given, & pictures of your dragon & tank if you have them.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
UPDATE:

Its been a few days since the incident happened and things have changed a little.

He is now VERY active at times, always poking his nose, and his beard is always BLACK. He keeps trying to leave the house almost when you see him RUN.

When we hold him sometimes, he is opening his mouth, twisting his body, as if trying to bite us and trying to fight us off. His body also puffs out wider.

He was pooping out some blood at for 3 days, but now it has gone.

He is now eating normally, sleeping, and pooping normally, BUT he's just extremely active and aggressive which is really unlike him. He is normally very docile and gentle.

Please let us know what his behaviour is hinting towards and how long this is going to last?

THANK YOU! :D

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
PICTURE ATTACHED

I have attached a pic of my beardie today. His beard is just black for the most part and sometimes he'll puff it up. Super active and always trying to "escape". He's been like this for the past 2-3 days.

THANKS AGAIN!
97113-9206435438.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, what a sweet little face ! I agree that he/she needs calcium immediately for one thing to be sure to correct any deficiency. Are you sure it's not a female ? Arch the tail up high in the air while dragon is flat on the table like in the picture there. It's VERY important to be sure because a female can become eggbound + act frantic if she can't pas her eggs. This picture shows how to arch the tail to check the gender [ scroll down to it ]

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":3pj8m1gm said:
Aw, what a sweet little face ! I agree that he/she needs calcium immediately for one thing to be sure to correct any deficiency. Are you sure it's not a female ? Arch the tail up high in the air while dragon is flat on the table like in the picture there. It's VERY important to be sure because a female can become eggbound + act frantic if she can't pas her eggs. This picture shows how to arch the tail to check the gender [ scroll down to it ]

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

We've checked again, and this time Kale looks more like a girl! She has a the one little bulge, and we don't really see the two bulges that males do. How can we double firm this?

And if Kale's a girl, how long will this approx. last or we do have to let her breed to let this pass?

We are currently giving her calcium powder on his veggies. Is this enough or should we buy the liquid calcium for a better effect?

Thank you again, you guys have been such a great help! :D :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Post a couple pics of her rear end here, I or others can usually tell. And this may or may be egg related, but calcium is essential either way. Also a good multivitamin used VERY lightly every other day for a week or so, then just twice a week. Put the calcium powder on one meal a day [ if she eats more insects then use it on them, if she eats more veggies then use them ] and do the vitamin on the alternate day, switching off every other day.

How is she doing today ?

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":yw10wsi8 said:
Post a couple pics of her rear end here, I or others can usually tell. And this may or may be egg related, but calcium is essential either way. Also a good multivitamin used VERY lightly every other day for a week or so, then just twice a week. Put the calcium powder on one meal a day [ if she eats more insects then use it on them, if she eats more veggies then use them ] and do the vitamin on the alternate day, switching off every other day.

How is she doing today ?

Her beard has been like on and off black, but she still opens her mouth and like tries to bite us off in the morning. We've been giving her calcium powder for the past 3 months every day on her veggies, but I will go out and buy the vitamin liquid tomorrow for her.

She's just been trying to poke at her cage and moving around a lot during the day.

I've attached a picture of her rear end to see. We are not very good at determining this ahah!

Thank you so much again! :D
97113-1136144200.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing tonight?
AHBD is excellent at sexing! LOL
To me, she looks female, or am pretty sure she is. There are small or reduced femoral pores but
females do have them. Males have much larger & pronounced pores as well as clearly defined
lateral bulges up the edge of the outer edges of the tail base.
The calcium powder should be fine, as long as she eats enough to ingest it, that is. It is highly
possible she is developing eggs, so do keep an eye on her just in case.
She is a cutie for sure. Is her beard still black also?

Tracie

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
Drache613":medhxizv said:
Hello,

How is your girl doing tonight?
AHBD is excellent at sexing! LOL
To me, she looks female, or am pretty sure she is. There are small or reduced femoral pores but
females do have them. Males have much larger & pronounced pores as well as clearly defined
lateral bulges up the edge of the outer edges of the tail base.
The calcium powder should be fine, as long as she eats enough to ingest it, that is. It is highly
possible she is developing eggs, so do keep an eye on her just in case.
She is a cutie for sure. Is her beard still black also?

Tracie

She is so sweet, I just wish she got back to her normal behaviour, I hate seeing her all distressed!

Her beard is pretty black as of right now, but it got a little better a few hours ago when she was a little calmed down. Now she's as active as ever, trying to poke her way out! She'll try to escape for a while then she'll lay flat resting, then she tries again!

Was the blood in her stool a few days ago her period? It went away after 3 days?!

Thank you!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, looks female. :) They don't have periods , the blood may have been from a number of things but it's possible that she was trying to push an egg out. It's best to set up a laybox ASAP, here's a small one that can go in the tank [ I used one like this for some of my females at one time ] You can use a sand or sand/soil mix , pour enough warm water in so that if you mix it very well it is not wet but damp enough to dig a cave in it. This plastic container is about 22 L by 12 W by 7 H [ approximately ] I cut the corner off the lid to make an entrance. Introduce her in to it and then keep a log next to it so she can access it.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full

You can also opt for a larger one like this [ not mine ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNwqHsV7peE

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
AHBD":2w68ewy7 said:
I agree, looks female. :) They don't have periods , the blood may have been from a number of things but it's possible that she was trying to push an egg out. It's best to set up a laybox ASAP, here's a small one that can go in the tank [ I used one like this for some of my females at one time ] You can use a sand or sand/soil mix , pour enough warm water in so that if you mix it very well it is not wet but damp enough to dig a cave in it. This plastic container is about 22 L by 12 W by 7 H [ approximately ] I cut the corner off the lid to make an entrance. Introduce her in to it and then keep a log next to it so she can access it.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30026/full

You can also opt for a larger one like this [ not mine ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNwqHsV7peE

Thank you! Wow, I was not aware of this, as our beardie was a rescue and we never really knew the age and we've always thought she was a male!

How long will it take for her to lay her eggs? and if we make the bigger lay box, how long should we put her there for each day?

This is our first time having a beardie so we really want to take good care of her through this time!

kalethebeardie

Original Poster
Gormagon":2aoa7jro said:
Another think to consider is.... is she egg bound? This can be fatal if not treated in a timely fashion. The black bearding is a bit concerning to me.

Yes, we believe she is egg bound now thanks to all the wonderful advice from you guys!

We are going to set up a basking box for her ASAP, but if you guys have any procedures or tips we should be aware of please let us know so we can take the best possible care of her as possible!!

Thank you so much again for all your help you guys! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom