Lethargy??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,
I need some advice and please try not to scare me to death because I'm already a wreck about my little guy.
A couple days ago my beardie Godzilla slowly started losing his appetite. And becoming lazier and lazier. I have a nanny cam and he would sit there and every once in awhile do this weird legs stretch, front and back legs. And then the next day it seemed like he could barely drag himself around. Both front and back legs seem weak. And he wont eat. So I'm freaking out. But fear not. I take him to the vet! Right away. And they do an xray and general exam and his bones and tummy look healthy. His UV bulb is a nice zoo med one that's only like 5 months old. I feed endive and collard greens and roaches and crickets and dust them with calcium and I obsess over my beardies haha. They say his lungs look a little fuzzy. And they say he has pneumonia and to keep him warm and give him antibiotics. And so I've given him 2 doses now. And this morning I mixed some butternut squash baby food and pedialyte and calcium powder up and kind of drip fed him from a syringe. He licked it off the tip of the syringe I didnt force it down his throat. He just lays there and sleeps all day. And he like army crawls his way anywhere. Like swims on the carpet almost. He doesn't want to lay under his basking bulb. He always moves to the cooler side of the tank. At the vets suggestion with this information he told me to lower the temp a little to 90 on the hot side. I'm just so worried. Has anyone else had a similar experience??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your boy isn't doing well!
So the vet determined pneumonia from the x-rays?
Can you review your tank setup a little more for us, such as the temperatures, foods given,
supplementation, etc? Which UVB light are you using, a tube bulb, the Reptisun 10? How
close is it to him & is it on top of or underneath of the screen?
Go ahead & post some pictures of him along with the tank, too so we can see his physical
condition.
Did the vet give a time frame for how long he is to remain on the antibiotics & which one did
he give you? The butternut squash baby food, calcium powder & pedialyte are fine. It sounds
like he liked the taste of it.
You can boost his basking temperatures a few degrees, but to no higher than 110 & around
80 on the cooler end. Also, try to keep his overnight temperatures to around 80 to help out
his immune system. Is he eating on his own very well?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

godzillababy

Original Poster
101653-9187046252.jpg
Alrighty so he is in a 40 gallon tank. I use the eco carpet as substrate and clean it once weekly with the reptile disinfectant (the name escapes me) and rinse it very well and let it dry fully. Never put it in wet. His bulb is a zoomed one. Its the big CFL, the 26 watt desert high output bulb. He sits on top of his tree underneath it pretty close to it a lot of the time (you'll see in pictures). Its about 95-100 on the hot side usually and 80-85 on the cool side. He usually runs all over the place and goes to both sides and is very active. He never had a hard time catching food or chewing or eating. I dust the crickets and roaches with repticalcium powder every morning and give fresh veggies (endive and collard greens I tear up by hand and wash very well). I feed them once in the morning and once at night. Until they stop eating. Usually 3 or 4 roaches. (I have 2 bearded dragons. They are on separate sides of the room and don't interact at all per this websites advise haha).
The vet prescribed Enrofloxacen? (banana flavored) Once daily a small dose, .7 cc? (Its at home and I'm at work). He gave me 10 days worth but he said for 7 days. He fights like a bat out of hell when I give it to him. He's not paralyzed. He can move his limbs and tail. He just seems very very weak.
101653-1910845111.jpg
. The nanny cam moved positions in between when these pictures were taken. One shows how he would sit on his tree ALL the time. He loves that thing. The other one is him in the past couple days. He was eating with gusto 3 or 4 days ago. And then he just ate less and less and now seems completely averse to food. Except for me giving him that baby food. And trust me he had no say in the matter. He hasn't eaten the past 4 or 5 times now. His beard was black yesterday when I came home from work. Which was bed time. He had been on the antibiotics for about 8 hours by then. Like I said I gave him his second dose today. He's been sleeping all day since then on the floor of his tank under the cfl not the basking bulb. The vet said he's got good bones and good growth plates and nothing impacting him or in his tummy. The only diagnosis he could give was pneumonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom