Spike (the one with Pancake)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
HippieLizards":bnjnqf18 said:
and was Spike an adult when you first got Pancake (Y'all got her as a baby right)? If you were cohabitating them as an adult with a baby you're lucky the adult didn't eat the baby beardie because beardies don't see baby beardies as their babies, They see them as a potential food source.. Leading to the adult eating the baby one.

If it's matter of money - many families are on tight budgets , and mom and dad who just don't know anything about reptiles or care to know , will simply put small / young with large adults …. it is very dangerous for the smaller dragon , as said , unless it can escape and hide from the larger adult , even it's own mother or father , it WILL eventually become a snack.

If you can't afford a shop bought rearing tank for the little dragon, then housing it in a converted plastic tub is much better than keeping the two together , this is how to set up 100L - 150L tub as a rearing tub : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480 , a tub this size will cost maybe $30 , add a hide, a food dish , and either a MVB and a dome , or domestic par38 colorless spot globe and dome + 26W UVB200 in NanoHood and a couple of pieces of plywood of MDF offcuts and some kitchen paper toweling and you have very good place to rear the little dragon until either it reaches 12 to 15 months old and outgrows it or you can afford a second shop bought tank (or 2 bay (stacked vivs) beardie apartment building.

PH1L0D3NDR0N

Original Poster
HippieLizards":opr0irkg said:
Actually, Since he has bad back legs a solid substrate would be 500% better for him because loose substrates could cause joint issues (and about 1000 others problems).

So Tile, Carpet, Towels, Even paper towels will be a 1000 times better then the loose substrate because they're slippery and harder to walk on, plus Wood chips are sharp and could hurt his feet.

But are they in separate enclosures now? Cohabitation could cause stress, fighting, dominance, (since they're male and female they could mate), and Just lots of issues, and could you post a picture of his cage and her cage? Is Pancake also on wood chips?
Yes she is.
I'll have to work on the pictures

PH1L0D3NDR0N

Original Poster
HippieLizards":1pnj14gr said:
and was Spike an adult when you first got Pancake (Y'all got her as a baby right)? If you were cohabitating them as an adult with a baby you're lucky the adult didn't eat the baby beardie because beardies don't see baby beardies as their babies, They see them as a potential food source.. Leading to the adult eating the baby one.
Yes Spike was an adult and yes she was young (I think the size of a galaxy Note 8 ).
I know he could have killed her, I didn't have other lights for her tho ar the time.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Ok, I understand having limited supplies (I did too and still managed to get through without spending tons of money) You could try going to walmart and getting a flood light (make sure it's a halogen bulb and not a L.E.D or covered coil).

But just in the future, you could've gotten a tub/bin and put Pancake in it. You also Could've at least put a divider in their cage so he couldn't have gotten near her. Thankfully Y'all were lucky and Spike is sweet (If it was my beardies with a baby beardie it would be gone in minutes :? ). :study: :study: :study:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
PH1L0D3NDR0N":28k6a311 said:
HippieLizards":28k6a311 said:
Yes Spike was an adult and yes she was young (I think the size of a galaxy Note 8 ).
I know he could have killed her, I didn't have other lights for her tho ar the time.

…. but at the very least you need to find the $ to buy another e27 ceramic fitting + a MVB (these are better than no heat and no UVA and no UVB being an all in one globe, and plastic tub ..

There is no good excuse for housing a hatchling with an adult dragon when it's so cheap to buy a tub and e27 light fitting + maybe an 80W MVB.
Exo Terra 80 Watt Solar Glo MVB $29.99 each @ LLLReptile
Exo Terra Mirror Dome Light 7 inch $19.99 each @ LLLReptile
https://www.amazon.com/Really-Useful-Box-General-Storage/dp/B00ORQ13T0/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530038583&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=100+litre+tub+clear+sides , 84L tub with lid , clear sides $22
so all up $72
all you need then is a spare cardboard box to turn into a hide (cut a hole in on side) and dish to put bigs like BSFL into.

PH1L0D3NDR0N

Original Poster
Sorry I haven't been on in a while I've been really busy lately.
Spike and Pancake are doing well, Spike is trying to scare his momma as always by not eating again he doesn't want his lettuce anymore.

He tries to get the bugs ....he acts like he is going to get them but nope. He might be going to brumation or something.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hmm.. I'm not entirely sure why he would do that but, Have you tried different greens for him at all? Like Collard, Mustard, Dandelion, or endive greens? Those are 500x Better then lettuce for him. You could try those and see if he eats those.

PH1L0D3NDR0N

Original Poster
HippieLizards":3f70mli5 said:
Hmm.. I'm not entirely sure why he would do that but, Have you tried different greens for him at all? Like Collard, Mustard, Dandelion, or endive greens? Those are 500x Better then lettuce for him. You could try those and see if he eats those.
Yes I tried, he doesn't want nothing.

PH1L0D3NDR0N

Original Poster
Pancakes toes
I noticed pancakes toes like this yesterday
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iENrepi1civsH7HQ9

The really bent one hurts her when it's touched.
She jumps off a basking ledge often.
What do you think that dark spot is, it doesn't look good.

I wiped her foot off with some deluded alcohol then rinsed it off with water.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Sorry I missed your message,

How has Pancake's toes been lately and How has Spike been doing? Any good news? :)

PH1L0D3NDR0N

Original Poster
HippieLizards":1cquezlo said:
Sorry I missed your message,

How has Pancake's toes been lately and How has Spike been doing? Any good news? :)
Pancakes toes seemed to have healed, and Spikes doing good.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
That's great to hear! :D I'm glad that they are doing well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom