New beardie not eating enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought home my beardie on Saturday (this is my first beardie). He is about 8 inches long.

He didn't eat with me on Saturday (I brought him home around 4, I'm sure he ate at PetSmart earlier in the day), on Sunday (yesterday) I tried to feed him crickets multiple times, he ate maybe 3 total in the whole day. I got him some mealworms to see if he'd eat those and he ate 6-7 last night around 8. He also ate a few small pieces of squash. So total he ate yesterday: a few crickets, 6-7 mealworms, few tiny pieces of squash.

Today, I again kept trying to feed him. Total he ate today: 1 cricket and 2 mealworms.

He seems to have an appetite because sometimes he looks at the worms/crickets, even licks them if I put them in front of him with tweezers, but then doesn't care most of the time.

He is active and seems completely normal other than that. Last time he pooped was yesterday (it was normal). I know that he would take some time to adjust because of the new environment and home, but is it normal for them to not even want to eat that much during this adjustment period? I just know he should be eating WAY more than that, especially as a juvenile, and I'm worried.

Can someone tell me if this is normal for a new beardie who has only been in his home for a couple days?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's pretty normal. If he is alert and active, that's a good sign. Just keep offering food a couple times per day and let him take what he wants. Remove the leftovers after meal time (usually about a 10 min window or until they lose interest). Their appetites fluctuate quite a lot so you'll see them eat just a little bit some days and other days they can eat a ton. It just kind of depends on their mood and where they are in a growth cycle.

haleyannette

Original Poster
CooperDragon":uvjlhg0e said:
Yeah that's pretty normal. If he is alert and active, that's a good sign. Just keep offering food a couple times per day and let him take what he wants. Remove the leftovers after meal time (usually about a 10 min window or until they lose interest). Their appetites fluctuate quite a lot so you'll see them eat just a little bit some days and other days they can eat a ton. It just kind of depends on their mood and where they are in a growth cycle.
Thank you! Today he ate 20 medium crickets in the morning, 10 large crickets at night, and veggies in between. He prefers being fed with tweezers for the most part (and I prefer it because trying to catch the ones he misses after is a pain!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom